• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save&Restore Database from broken Windows 10
Hi Mike and Community,
it seems my Surface pro 4 is finally approaching the end of its life cycle: After the battery being completely unreliable for some weeks (works from 15min to some hours, depending on its mood), it now panics regularly, sometimes it won't even start up completely. Safe mode boot seems to work though, so I can access all my data. I'll give it one last try and give it a fresh start with new Windows installation... but I'll want to have some things back, and the MSP database is one important part of these, so I want to save & restore everything about it.

MSP does not seem to work in safe mode (it complains to be unregistered, even with internet access, and just quits; probably because Windows Store Login is not working), so I cannot go the normal way of creating/restoring a backup file (like explained e.g. here).
I have my files synced via cloud service (using Seafile), so that's not the problem, but my database with all the annotations, links, metadata etc. is not stored there, correct? I saved the whole folder of
Code:
Users\[MyUser]\Appdata\Local\Packages\41730MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr
  1. Is there anything else I should save?
  2. If not, I'd just go on, clean my disk, reinstall Windows, reinstall MobileSheets from the Windows Store, put my files in place, and finally replace the folder above with my backed up version. Should this work or is there anything else I have to keep in mind?
  3. I found there are a lot of files in the folder, including lots of audio files in the LocalCache subfolder and a "HockeyApp" in the LocalState subfolder... time for a cleanup? Which things should I copy back, which aren't needed?
Thanks for your support!
You only need to save the 41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr folder and your storage location (if they aren't the same thing). The LocalState folder under 41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr is where mobilesheets.db is (the database file) along with all of the configuration files. Those and the song files are all you need to restore your library.

The LocalCache folder gets automatically cleared by MobileSheets periodically, and I no longer use HockeyApp, so you can delete anything related to that. The LocalState folder is really the only folder you need.

Mike
Thank you for your detailed answer, this gives me a much better feeling pressing the "reset" button. ;-)
(04-08-2021, 11:08 PM)Waldbaer Wrote: Hi Mike and Community,
it seems my Surface pro 4 is finally approaching the end of its life cycle: After the battery being completely unreliable for some weeks (works from 15min to some hours, depending on its mood), it now panics regularly, sometimes it won't even start up completely.

It's so sad to see $900-2700 device thrown away just because of the bad battery. New Surface pro 4 battery is $50.
If you'd replace the battery this tablet can turn PDF pages next 10 years.
If yours have i5 or i7 chip it can run normal office tasks, web browsing or Youtube next 5 years at least.

Yes you will need some tools like guitar picks, plastic spudger, small suction cup and source of heat.
Surface pro 4 battery change is well covered on youtube.
Hi otnt,
I agree completely! The Surface pro is IMHO a simple case of timed death by design with everything glued together so badly; especially making it so hard to replace components like the battery which will have to be replaced sooner or later is just a pain! If you know any comparable device featuring better repairability, I'll appreciate your hints... so far I did not find any other tablet of more or less A4 size (to display my sheet music) being able to act as a laptop as well where needed (edit the sheet music on my way to the gig for example).

I actually succeeded in changing the battery and at this moment, it lives again, but I did not yet use it extensively enough to make sure it does not panic again... I somehow cannot imagine that the battery was causing this error; actually I thought to have found the reason before and that was when I ordered the replacement battery. I really do whatever I can to keep this machine alive!  Confused

BTW: The transfer of the local state folder containing my MSP library as described above worked flawlessly; i could pick up MSP just where I left it before I formatted my SSD and reinstalled Windows.  Smile
(04-22-2021, 07:50 AM)Waldbaer Wrote: BTW: The transfer of the local state folder containing my MSP library as described above worked flawlessly; i could pick up MSP just where I left it before I formatted my SSD and reinstalled Windows.  Smile

I would also run down battery completely followed by 100% charge couple of times.
Then keep the battery charged between 85%-15%.
If you purchased reputable brand battery then your device will work as new after reinstalling the Windows.
Lastly I would check the health status of the SSD.

I'm too scared to use Windows device for a performance.
I don't use my dedicated tablet with the sheet music for anything else.