• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mobile Sheet on tablet won't conect to Companion
My tablet suddenly won't link to Win10.  It says "Go to companion app menu and click Help->How to Enable USB Debugging."

That option does not exist in menus of the current version of the companion.

"USB debugging" is not found on a search of your website.

Before this your program was excellent.  Now I am lost.

What do I do?
Did you click the USB icon on the tablet while trying to connect to the companion app by chance? The WiFi icon should be highlighted as orange on the sync screen. Tap the WiFi icon if it's not orange. Then you can connect normally using WiFi with the companion app. Don't worry about trying to connect over USB - it's a lot more complicated to get that set up. If that's not the problem, where are you seeing that message in the companion app? In order to connect over USB, you'd need to enable Settings->Enable Advanced Connection Options, then you would see the "How to Enable USB Debugging" option under Help. If you click the connection dropdown, you will see there is now a "Connect using USB" option. To connect over WiFi, that should be unchecked.

Mike
(04-14-2022, 03:50 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Did you click the USB icon on the tablet while trying to connect to the companion app by chance? The WiFi icon should be highlighted as orange on the sync screen. Tap the WiFi icon if it's not orange. Then you can connect normally using WiFi with the companion app. Don't worry about trying to connect over USB - it's a lot more complicated to get that set up. If that's not the problem, where are you seeing that message in the companion app? In order to connect over USB, you'd need to enable Settings->Enable Advanced Connection Options, then you would see the "How to Enable USB Debugging" option under Help. If you click the connection dropdown, you will see there is now a "Connect using USB" option. To connect over WiFi, that should be unchecked.

Mike

When I get to the the "USB Debugging Not Enabled" pop up, there is an option to "Use Wifi".  The problem for me is that it just keeps coming back with the same pop up when I select this option...
(04-14-2022, 03:50 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Did you click the USB icon on the tablet while trying to connect to the companion app by chance? The WiFi icon should be highlighted as orange on the sync screen. Tap the WiFi icon if it's not orange. Then you can connect normally using WiFi with the companion app. Don't worry about trying to connect over USB - it's a lot more complicated to get that set up. If that's not the problem, where are you seeing that message in the companion app? In order to connect over USB, you'd need to enable Settings->Enable Advanced Connection Options, then you would see the "How to Enable USB Debugging" option under Help. If you click the connection dropdown, you will see there is now a "Connect using USB" option. To connect over WiFi, that should be unchecked.

Mike

The problem I have been having is that the "USB debugging Not Enabled" popup comes up, and there is an option to "Use Wifi", but when I press this, it just reloads the USB debugging popup forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.
Just so I understand - are you seeing that on the Android device or in the companion app? If it's on the Android device, how is your WiFi set up? It sounds to me like MobileSheets is unable to get access to an IP address with the current network connection. Do you have 4G/5G on that device? That could be intefering.

Mike
(04-28-2022, 04:28 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Just so I understand - are you seeing that on the Android device or in the companion app? If it's on the Android device, how is your WiFi set up? It sounds to me like MobileSheets is unable to get access to an IP address with the current network connection. Do you have 4G/5G on that device? That could be intefering.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for the prompt reply.  I am seeing the prompt on the android device.  However, I am also unable to do anything with the companion app. 

ok... I did some testing and I have worked it out.  The problem I had is this..  I use my mobile phone as a hot spot that my computer connects to.  However, it seems that because I am not connected to a separate wifi connection on my phone (because I use my mobile data), this won't work.  To fix this, I connected my android phone to a separate wifi (a crappy and very slow mobile broadband) and this resolved the issue.  

Nice!  Keep up the great work and thanks!

p.s. The companion app will make it a lot easier (though not effortless Smile  ) to manually put in the metadata I was hoping to do with a csv, so pretty happy about that.   Cheers
I use a connected tablet as my hot spots [no other connection] all the time. One of the things I found out the hard way is some devices will only connect to a 2.4 ghz [on my phone] signal and my tablet hotspot is set for 5 ghz output. Your Android device may be on the opposite frequency from your phone.Hz [size=1]4 GHz or 5 GHz[/size]
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
So just for clarity.  I use my mobile phone as a hot spot.  I have a tablet for gigs.  I have a laptop as well.  I use all 3 with mobilesheets.  My mobile has a big mobile broadband deal so I hotspot that (I don't have home wifi).  I also have another dongle with slow and expensive downloads.  

If I try to connect with the companion app from my phone without connecting to a wifi network, it doesn't even try to connect to anything, it just gives the USB debugging popup.  However, I can connect to the companion app from the tablet, using my mobile phone as a hotspot to connect laptop to tablet.
When the hotspot functionality is enabled on a phone, it disables it's own WiFi connectivity as it instead acts the same as a router where it provides data for other connected devices. So MobileSheets is unable to access a WiFi connection to send/receive data, so that's why you are seeing it switch back to USB over and over. It's pretty much the same thing that would happen if you turn the WiFi off and then try to use the WiFi connectivity in MobileSheets.

Mike
Hi
I am getting the same pop message about USB debugging but under slightly different circumstances.  Because my wifi is quite weak where my HP SLATE 21 is installed, I was connecting the tablet via an ethernet connection & this is when I get the pop up message. 
Should I be able to do a backup to companion on my laptop using this method of connection?

Thank you

Tony
I've just had this popup (running 3.5.8)
Nothing I tried would bypass it.

Noticed that there was a 3.5.9 available for download today (I update manually) so tried installing that from Play Store
That didn't seem to get anywhere (just stuck pending).
Tried cancelling/restarting the update - still stuck pending
Restarted tablet and update succeeded and popup no longer occurred.

So I don't know if the popup occurred because

1. of 3.5.8  (unlikely)
  2. MSP was already in a funny state when I tried connecting
  3. MSP didn't like the response it got when trying to connect and entered into a funny state.

It could have been that the popup would not have occurred if I had just restarted the tablet without also doing the upgrade

@Mike: I'm just entering this for background info - I'm not expecting you to do anything about it now.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Send me an email if you want to update manually outside the Play Store. I'm not sure why the update didn't work for you though...

Mike
Thanks for the offer Mike but I'm ok (as I said, the upgrade worked after the tablet was restarted)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Oh sorry - missed that you said it worked after the restart. Very strange... I'm guessing the app (and more particularly the networking stack) was in a bad state so the restart fixed it.

Mike