• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change page with MIDI via WIDI JACK
Hi! i'm really enjoying this app!

As a drummer i sometimes need to turn pages in some places that are not very comfortable using a pedal, this happens because i'm usually using all of my limbs.

I'm currently in an orchestra that plays to a click track, the whole show is synced to video and lighting via SMPTE, triggered from a CYMATIC LP-16.
This fact made me consider the possibility to turn pages automatically through MIDI signal, which is a capability that the LP-16 has, so i decided to give it a shot. 

I bought a device called WIDI JACK, that sends and receives MIDI via bluetooth. I was able to establish a connection to the device using an app called MIDI+BTLE, and successfully used my tablet as a MIDI controller and also a MIDI playback device using a piano app to test this. It turned out to work great and has very low latency. The app is called MIDI Piano by DreamHound studios. The source im using to perform these tests is Pro Tools going to a simple  audio interface that has MIDI jacks, where the BT device is connected.

Now here comes the issue, even-thought MobileSheets shows the device, and is able to connect to it; when i'm under the app's MIDI actions menu and go to the command listener, it is not able to "listen" to any commands i send, so i have no way to trigger any actions. I mainly tried notes and parameter settings. When a command is sent, the WIDI JACK blinks so i know im sending information.

I've tried changing various options and settings, including channels, devices, MIDI libraries, etc. But still no luck.  I'm at a loss here. 

The thing that gets me is that i was able to make the piano app work, so the connection is successfully established to my tablet and information is able to travel in and out of it (samsung galaxy tab s7 FE).

I really thank anyone who takes the time to answer in advance.
Is this the app you used to test it?: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ring&gl=US

That's using Google's MIDI library for the bluetooth connection which is the same library MobileSheets is using if you've gone to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections and you've switched the library to "Google" and then tapped the input and output ports to connect. Can you please verify that the Google library is selected, the connection type is bluetooth and you've successfully connected to the input and output ports? I have a WIDI Master that I can test with to try to reproduce issues - is that the product you are using?

One other thing - can you please verify that your device has location services enabled and you've granted all of the permissions for MobileSheets? If you go to the tablet Settings->Apps->MobileSheets->Permissions, you can check the current state of the permissions. The precise location permission is required for bluetooth connectivity I believe, as Google now requires that. 

Mike
(08-17-2022, 02:48 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Is this the app you used to test it?: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ring&gl=US

That's using Google's MIDI library for the bluetooth connection which is the same library MobileSheets is using if you've gone to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections and you've switched the library to "Google" and then tapped the input and output ports to connect. Can you please verify that the Google library is selected, the connection type is bluetooth and you've successfully connected to the input and output ports? I have a WIDI Master that I can test with to try to reproduce issues - is that the product you are using?

One other thing - can you please verify that your device has location services enabled and you've granted all of the permissions for MobileSheets? If you go to the tablet Settings->Apps->MobileSheets->Permissions, you can check the current state of the permissions. The precise location permission is required for bluetooth connectivity I believe, as Google now requires that. 

Mike
Hi Mike! Thank you for your answer,

Yes, that is the one i used to enable the connection, and the app i used to run the tests was this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...s.keyboard

The device i'm using is this one https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-jack/ , it is from the same manufacturer as the widi master.

I have selected the google library and tapped the i/o ports to connect.

I also checked and i seem to have all the permissions, including the precise location. There are no rejected permissions.

Let me know if you can reproduce the issue or you can make it work. If there is anything else i can do, let me know and ill be glad to help fix this.

Franco
Hey, I went back to the test, this time i made sure to disconnect the WIDI from the piano app, and it seems that solved the issue. I can´t believe i didn't think of that before!
For the first time I saw commands being listened, i'm stoked!
I'll update once I finish testing!
That's great to hear! So it was just an issue of the OS only allowing one app to have access to the MIDI device at a time. That same thing happens on Windows I believe.

Mike
(08-17-2022, 06:36 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's great to hear! So it was just an issue of the OS only allowing one app to have access to the MIDI device at a time. That same thing happens on Windows I believe.

Mike

Yep, I can now reliably use it. Did not try it with the lp-16 though, but i guess the issue is fixed.

All i have to do is to use the MIDI+BTLE app to pair it, and this part is important; after the connection is established you have to press the red cross that is right besides the address so as to "free up" the ports, and make sure no other app is using them.

I have to play an 11 page medley and i've been using it to practice. Works great! 

Thanks for your reply Mike, hope you are well!

Franco
Hi guys,

Not to create new thread I think I can hijack this one as it's related to page change.

Mike, I see that you have SX600 , and I suppose it should be similar to Genos, but how do you program page changes control from Genos, what buttons do you press on your SX600 to change page on mobileshets?

I wonder if something like this would work for page change:
https://a.co/d/cEw4WUu
 WidiMaster would be used to call/send messages to load registrations: https://a.co/d/0ugyijA
Thanks
I'll take a look at it, but I've never used something on my SX600 to turn pages. I'd rely on a bluetooth pedal for that purpose.

Mike
Wait, let me understand this lol
BT pedal... So , it will be paired to Widi at the same time as MS, or there is other way to connect by pedal ?
I am just thinking now, if pages can be turned with additional BT device, can other BT device can be used , say something I'll keep on top of Genos?
No, the bluetooth pedal would not be paired to the WIDI - it would be paired with your tablet itself (or if you using an AirTurn pedal, you can use the AirTurn Direct Mode to eliminate the need to pair the pedal). You can also use something like a Flic button. There are lots of options for things you can use to turn pages that could sit on your keyboard if needed.

Mike