• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung 12.2 OS update?
Hello,
Calling on Samsung 12.2 users.
Have any of you updated to a newer OS such as Android 12 .
I really like this tablet but am concerned that it
will stop working one day due to old Android 5 OS.
Found this article but I'm not all that computer savy.

https://tweakdroid.com/android-12/samsun...0-v1awifi/

Comments welcomed.
Thanks
Stan
No idea about Samsung 12.2 but my recommendation, assuming the tablet currently does what you want, is to just keep using it as is.

Why?
1) Changing the OS could cause a problem that will be difficult to fix (necessitating a new tablet or a reinstall of Android 5)
2) Upgrading from Android 5 to 12 is skipping several versions (your tablet was released in 2014 and there is a good chance that 12 doesn't support it)
3) The longer you wait, the more chance that someone else will try this upgrade and discover/post any problems.
4) The longer you wait, the more likely it is that a newer, more desirable replacement tablet will be produced (and hopefully cheaper than current prices).
5) You could be playing music (instead of pratting around with the tablet!)

The only real issue I foresee is if your tablet automatically updates the OS and stops working - change the settings so that it won't update the OS without your consent.

Also, make sure that you make an offline backup once week (I use the Companion to backup to my Windows 10 desktop).
Should the worst happen, you will have something recent that you could download to a new device

Hope this helps

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(08-25-2022, 07:26 AM)Stan Wrote: Hello,
Calling on  Samsung 12.2 users.

Comments welcomed.
Thanks
Stan

There's no need to update tablet if it's been used only for MobileSheets.
If Android 5 wouldn't be supported by MobileSheets I would rather upgrade to LineageOS.
I'm not dropping support for Android 5.0 for a very, very long time, if ever. It would only ever be driven by changes to external libraries that would impact functionality for the majority of users (i.e. not being able to access cloud services). Even then, I usually just remove functionality from the older OS versions instead of dropping support for them altogether. That's the reason the app still runs on Android 4.0.3 although you can't use any of the cloud services or the metronome in that version. Most of the application still functions fine though. So you have nothing to worry about as far as MobileSheets. If you have concerns about the OS itself, that's a separate issue.

Mike
(08-25-2022, 08:46 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: No idea about Samsung 12.2 but my recommendation, assuming the tablet currently does what you want, is to just keep using it as is.

Why?
1) Changing the OS could cause a problem that will be difficult to fix (necessitating a new tablet or a reinstall of Android 5)
2) Upgrading from Android 5 to 12 is skipping several versions (your tablet was released in 2014 and there is a good chance that 12 doesn't support it)
3) The longer you wait, the more chance that someone else will try this upgrade and discover/post any problems.
4) The longer you wait, the more likely it is that a newer, more desirable replacement tablet will be produced (and hopefully cheaper than current prices).
5) You could be playing music (instead of pratting around with the tablet!)

The only real issue I foresee is if your tablet automatically updates the OS and stops working - change the settings so that it won't update the OS without your consent.

Also, make sure that you make an offline backup once week (I use the Companion to backup to my Windows 10 desktop).
Should the worst happen, you will have something recent that you could download to a new device

Hope this helps

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,
I do agree with you on all points. My tablet is working perfectly and I do backups.
Cheers
Stan
(08-25-2022, 05:51 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm not dropping support for Android 5.0 for a very, very long time, if ever. It would only ever be driven by changes to external libraries that would impact functionality for the majority of users (i.e. not being able to access cloud services). Even then, I usually just remove functionality from the older OS versions instead of dropping support for them altogether. That's the reason the app still runs on Android 4.0.3 although you can't use any of the cloud services or the metronome in that version. Most of the application still functions fine though. So you have nothing to worry about as far as MobileSheets. If you have concerns about the OS itself, that's a separate issue.

Mike

Thanks for reassuring us Mike,
I use this tablet only for music but I do go to Google play to update MobileSheets once in a while.
Of course google wants to update all the apps and I let it. Am I doing the right thing?

Stan
(08-25-2022, 03:29 PM)otnt Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 07:26 AM)Stan Wrote: Hello,
Calling on  Samsung 12.2 users.

Comments welcomed.
Thanks
Stan

There's no need to update tablet if it's been used only for MobileSheets.
If Android 5 wouldn't be supported by MobileSheets I would rather upgrade to LineageOS.

Thanks for the reply Otnt,
I've decided to stay with "Don't fix it if it's not broken" rule , because the tablet is working perfectly.
Cheers
Stan
I think it's fine that you let it update other apps Stan.

Mike