• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
restore from backup not adding all folders !!Update: my bad, again! ;)
Hi,

I just switched MS to another laptop using the backup/restore functions.
I succeeded in having my dbases restored correctly, but only after some tweaking.

The restore did not function the way I thought it would, so I don't know if it's a bug,
or the result one should expect. Here is what was found.

I use many sub-directories of the MS folder to store my files, mp3, pdfs, csvs, pro, jpg, etc.
Of course the MS "Storage/Manage files" option is unchecked. After a restore, all my files were restored in the main MS folder
and not in the sub-directories they resided in before backup; the sub-directories were not created at all.

However, all the sub-directories for mp3s were created correctly.
There were no files in these sub-directories because mp3s were not chosen to be part of the backup,
this would have taken too long with too big a backup file, in my opinion.

The work around for the missing files was easy, just erasing the contents of the MS folder and copying the files from the previous computer into the MS folder. Then just using the "Fix Broken file paths" got everything back to normal.

It was not a big problem, but I thought restore would create all the appropriate folders and put the files in there.
Still unsure if this is a bug or just my misunderstanding.

FWIW,

Sincerely,
DAn
Hello Dan,

Are you using an Android device or a Windows device? You posted in the Windows sub-forum, but you mentioned the "Manage files" option which does not exist in the Windows version of MobileSheets. In the Windows version, MobileSheets always has to manage the files due to the way file permissions work with UWP applications. However, if you set up the storage location first, then restored the backup file, it should have extracted files to their original location relative to the storage location root folder.

On Android, if you uncheck the option to let MobileSheets manage your files, then when you restore the backup file, you have to change the "Restore To" location to "Original File Locations". If you did not do this and just selected the default storage location, then that's why MobileSheets did not honor your original folder locations. There are other problems that can occur when doing this too - if you used an SD card, MobileSheets may not have access to the folders on the SD card when restoring so it may fall back to putting files in the storage location. 

Mike
Thanks for your reply, Mike.

This was Windows to Windows computers.
I wasn't aware about the storage location difference in Windows.
You are likely right, I made a mistake in applying the restore function.
Thanks for setting me straight.

But as I said, it all worked out fine in the end by using the "Fix broken file paths" function.

I am glad it wasn't a bug...

Dan
It is definitely a bug that I already reported:
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...p?tid=8767
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Thanks for the reference - I do need to look into that for the Windows version.

Mike
The bug is only in the restore function of the windows version.
Backup on Win10 and restore on Android works as epected.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de