• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auto-crop threshold tolerance
There is a small "problem", in my opinion, with the auto crop tolerance. Usually, at the bottom of the pages of the musical scores, there is a wording relating to credits, copyrights, year of publication, etc. which sacrifices the ability to make a more music-focused crop, which I think is what interests musicians when preparing music sheets to perform on stage (we don't need copyrights and other useless text over there...).

Would it be possible to set in MS an automatic recognition of this part of the text or in any case set a tolerance (threshold) to skip these sections? Otherwise, they force to do a manual page-by-page cropping, which is quite long (sometimes) and tedious.

Thank you.
The problem is that the algorithm isn't intelligent enough to understand what the pixels are representing. It can't know when there is text it should ignore versus black marks from a poor scan, or other kinds of markings. With the default crop mode it just stops as soon as it hits any pixels that are darker than a light gray. With the aggressive mode, it will small groupings of pixels (noise from a scan), but it will still stop as soon as it hits a larger block of dark pixels. In order to implement what you are discussing, it would involve something more akin to performing a text OCR where MobileSheets could look for text on the page, determine what that text is, where it's located, and then choose whether to ignore it with the cropping. The PDF library I'm using does not support text OCR, so I don't really have a good solution for that. 

I should mention that if the PDF actually contains text instead of just an image, that could be identified and ignored as part of the cropping. Most users have PDFs that are constructed from scanned scores though, so I doubt that is particularly useful in most scenarios.

One thing some users have asked for are predefined sizes for cropping rectangles so that a given sized cropping rectangle could quickly be applied to all pages. This is something I will most likely add. So if you know that you always want to remove the bottom 2.5% of every page, for example, then you could save those dimensions and apply it to your scores that have the wording at the bottom. Also be aware that you can setup the cropping so that any adjustments you make on a page are applied to all pages in the file. If you want the cropping the same on every page, this could save you some time.

Mike
(09-24-2022, 05:04 PM)Zubersoft Wrote:  predefined sizes for cropping rectangles so that a given sized cropping rectangle could quickly be applied to all pages. 

Yes Mike, I know and understand that difficulties of that kind of analytic cropping, but since we get better and better with softwares, I just shared my needs Smile Also scanned sheets have the same problem, unless - during scanning - that part of text is not included, but many sheets downlaoded/purchased have that text already there tho. However, this said, the solution of predefined sizes for cropping sure can help. Looking forward to this new function...

Thank you!