• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same exact pdf but two different file names
I have a song, and old standard, that I have marked up and annotated with my bass parts.  The powers that be have decided that the name of the song has changed in the new missal.  Nothing has changed with the song itself.  This is with my church group.

I do not want to remove the old file BUT I need that same file with a new name to avoid confusion in my group and having to remember the new or old name.  I will likely need the original name also in other settings.  I do not want two separate pdf's as any changes would need to be applied to both.

The "copy song" produces a "new" version from the same pdf and edits on one will not show up on the other.  It seems that MS creates this new version internally from the same pdf, which has been cool and useful.  

Can I have two separate song names access the same pdf and edits show up under both titles? And how?

Thanks
Define what you mean when you say "edits". You can certainly have two songs both reference the same PDF, but no modifications made in MobileSheets will show up in both songs. If you modify the underlying PDF, that would certainly show up in both songs, but you can't share changes between two song references. That's not really something I ever intend to support, even when song versioning is implemented, as the whole point is to have separate versions of a song that can be changed independently.

Mike
I think your best bet is to adopt the new name as the master file.

Then create a song with the "original" file name which simply contains text to remind you the name of the master song.

I play in 3 groups that have several common songs.
To avoid confusion, and to allow the groups to diverge, each group has its own copy of the file (i.e. 3 separate files).
To differentiate between these files, I append a short mnemonic to the end of each file name eg. " - MUJ", " - Pub"
I keep each groups files in their own collections.

Remember that a song can be in more than one collection i.e. you can put both master and "reminder" songs in both collections 

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(11-16-2022, 06:45 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Define what you mean when you say "edits". You can certainly have two songs both reference the same PDF, but no modifications made in MobileSheets will show up in both songs. If you modify the underlying PDF, that would certainly show up in both songs, but you can't share changes between two song references. That's not really something I ever intend to support, even when song versioning is implemented, as the whole point is to have separate versions of a song that can be changed independently.

Mike
 Mike, 

It seems it may not be a popular idea.  The edits would be new annotations such as highlighting, rhythm notations, things like that.  Not the underlying pdf changes.

Make note in the old named pdf that there is a new copy with newer edits seems to be a workable situation for the rare times this happens.

Thanks
(11-16-2022, 07:04 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: I think your best bet is to adopt the new name as the master file.

Then create a song with the "original" file name which simply contains text to remind you the name of the master song.

I play in 3 groups that have several common songs.
To avoid confusion, and to allow the groups to diverge, each group has its own copy of the file (i.e. 3 separate files).
To differentiate between these files, I append a short mnemonic to the end of each file name eg. " - MUJ", " - Pub"
I keep each groups files in their own collections.

Remember that a song can be in more than one collection i.e. you can put both master and "reminder" songs in both collections 

Cheers
Geoff

That's a great idea for this rare situation. I will reference the new file in the old copy and the old file in the new, just in case.  I often make copies if different groups have different arrangements that are different enough and add initials of the group to the song name for quick selecting.  Otherwise I would use the same song file.   I play with one individual who often makes radical chord changes etc and almost anything she touches I have to create a separate file, not just a copy to keep my sanity.

MobileSheets flexibility is amazing with collections, set lists, and even albums for fakebooks, sources and I use one field to identify who provided the music.  The most difficult was the initial scanning and cleaning up of the pdf's but now it's a breeze.  I love watching everyone else in the church group struggling with finding the music since it's 8 different songs each week, it only takes my 5 minutes to setup for the next week.  In other situations the lists are more static.