• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS 4.1.0
Oh dearie me. I can't speak for others (although I see there are already some comments on this release) but this version has made MS unusable for me.

The underlying problem is the time it now takes to both load a chart and change to the next page of that chart. Load time is now some five seconds. Although a bit of a niggle, I can live with that. What I can't live with is the four or five seconds it takes to turn to the next page! That really is not acceptable. I note that, once all the pages have been read (and are, presumably, in memory) page change is quite normal.

I need to rollback to the previous version, but I'm not sure how to do that?

While I'm here, two other things I noted.

1 - I was hoping there would be an option to change the screen in and out of invert mode on the fly, without having to go into the options menu. Unless I missed it, this seems not to have happened. 90% of the time I use the inverted mode, but there is the occasional chart that is easier to read in normal mode and it's awkward to change the display in the middle of a set.

2 - The option to ignore A, The, etc. will suit some people (although I'm not sure that it's something I would use myself) but it should be extended to include the apostrophe (e.g. 'S Wonderful, 'Round Midnight and similar titles).
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Yikes. Hoping I didn't catch that bug. Will check when I get home.

(10-22-2013, 01:51 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Oh dearie me. I can't speak for others (although I see there are already some comments on this release) but this version has made MS unusable for me.

The underlying problem is the time it now takes to both load a chart and change to the next page of that chart. Load time is now some five seconds. Although a bit of a niggle, I can live with that. What I can't live with is the four or five seconds it takes to turn to the next page! That really is not acceptable. I note that, once all the pages have been read (and are, presumably, in memory) page change is quite normal.

I need to rollback to the previous version, but I'm not sure how to do that?

While I'm here, two other things I noted.

1 - I was hoping there would be an option to change the screen in and out of invert mode on the fly, without having to go into the options menu. Unless I missed it, this seems not to have happened. 90% of the time I use the inverted mode, but there is the occasional chart that is easier to read in normal mode and it's awkward to change the display in the middle of a set.

2 - The option to ignore A, The, etc. will suit some people (although I'm not sure that it's something I would use myself) but it should be extended to include the apostrophe (e.g. 'S Wonderful, 'Round Midnight and similar titles).
Graeme,

I am shocked to see such a drastic change in speed for you. I hardly changed any code related to PDF rendering, so I'm not really sure what could be causing such a slowdown. One major change was switching the surface that the PDF is rendered on - Google has a bug in Android 4.3 that causes crashes when a SurfaceView is used, so I switched to a generic View object. All devices running 3.x or later should be using hardware acceleration when rendering though. SurfaceView objects render in the background in a separate thread whereas a View can only render on the primary thread. It's very possible that many tablets render too slowly with a View object for me to use it the way I am (as pressing to turn the page will have to wait on the rendering to finish). I will probably implement a workaround where I default to the old implementation for any OS below 4.3, but use an alternative approach for tablets at or above 4.3 (unless Google fixes their bug).

Send me an email at mike@zubersoft.com and I'll help you downgrade. I'm definitely going to need to figure out what is causing the slowdown though, so if you can send me a file that was rendering quickly before, and doesn't now, I can try it out on my own tablet.

As for your requests:

1) I'll probably have to release a 4.1.1, so I can look into adding this option.

2) That should be relatively easy to add. In v5.0.0, I plan on allowing manual entry of what words should be ignored, making it easier to cover everyone's needs. Having said that, I agree that an apostrophe at the beginning should probably be ignored.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike

Thanks for the super quick response - would that some of the larger software houses were so attentive to their customers!

With respect to the rendering problem, I'll contact you direct. I will send you a typical file but, basically, it's the same for any of them Smile .

The invert feature is not a killer, but it would be useful and I'm happy to wait for you to get to it. It seems there are far more pressing items to look at for the moment.

Likewise, the apostrophe question.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(10-22-2013, 01:19 PM)Zuberman Wrote: 2) In v5.0.0, I plan on allowing manual entry of what words should be ignored, making it easier to cover everyone's needs.

I don't want to sound ungrateful -- the treatment of articles in 4.1.0 is already a major step forward, after all :-) -- but may I suggest a different model for 5.0.0?

Basically, no matter what goes into a global ignore list, it's going to be applied globally, and there will almost always be unusual titles that won't fit. Instead, I'd like to recommend the way Calibre treats this subject for ebooks:

In addition to the title field stored with every song, there would be a separate "title sort" field. By default this would be the same as the title, with articles moved to the end, just as 4.1.0 does now (and perhaps with leading apostrophes removed also :-). This way, the default behaviour wouldn't change at all -- but it would still be possible to handle special cases by manually editing the "title sort" field for (only) those songs which turn out to be exceptions.

- Steven
That's a very interesting idea Steven. I will look into adding that for v5. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
Trying to get things in the right order can often get tricky. How does one handle accented letters, or deal with a letter not normally found in English (ñ, for example)? It's partly for this reason that I tend towards using the title as it is, instead of ignoring bits of it.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(10-23-2013, 07:09 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: Trying to get things in the right order can often get tricky. How does one handle accented letters, or deal with a letter not normally found in English (ñ, for example)? It's partly for this reason that I tend towards using the title as it is, instead of ignoring bits of it.

You're absolutely right that sorting correctly is difficult, precisely because not everyone agrees on the definition of correctness

The Calibre method which I suggested for 5.0 would also allow you to sort accented characters as if they were unaccented, if that's what you want to do (by leaving them in the title exactly as you want them to appear, but replacing them in the "title sort" field by their unaccented equivalents).

Alternatively, both the current state of 4.1 and both of the proposed methods for 5.0 still allow titles to be sorted exactly as written if that's your preference.

The point is that this a very definitely an area in which one size will never fit all, so it's useful to give people the tools to sort exactly the way they want to, exceptions and all.

- Steven
With 4.1.1 songs really load much faster now. I started with 4.1 and was wondering about the long time of 5 seconds to open small PDF files.
Thanks for the work.
(10-22-2013, 01:19 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Graeme,

I am shocked to see such a drastic change in speed for you. I hardly changed any code related to PDF rendering, so I'm not really sure what could be causing such a slowdown. One major change was switching the surface that the PDF is rendered on - Google has a bug in Android 4.3 that causes crashes when a SurfaceView is used, so I switched to a generic View object.  All devices running 3.x or later should be using hardware acceleration when rendering though. SurfaceView objects render in the background in a separate thread whereas a View can only render on the primary thread. It's very possible that many tablets render too slowly with a View object for me to use it the way I am (as pressing to turn the page will have to wait on the rendering to finish). I will probably implement a workaround where I default to the old implementation for any OS below 4.3, but use an alternative approach for tablets at or above 4.3 (unless Google fixes their bug).

Send me an email at mike@zubersoft.com and I'll help you downgrade. I'm definitely going to need to figure out what is causing the slowdown though, so if you can send me a file that was rendering quickly before, and doesn't now, I can try it out on my own tablet.

As for your requests:

1) I'll probably have to release a 4.1.1, so I can look into adding this option.

2) That should be relatively easy to add. In v5.0.0, I plan on allowing manual entry of what words should be ignored, making it easier to cover everyone's needs. Having said that, I agree that an apostrophe at the beginning should probably be ignored.

Thanks,
Mike
This post has nothing to do with the slowdown you are seeing now. This thread is ancient and refers to the original MobileSheets's design vs MobileSheetsPro.