• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TikTok Remote Ring as Page Turner
My curiosity got the best of me, so I picked up one of these thinking it might be easier to manage than a pedal. I got mine for $18 on Amazon, but they can be found for as low as $8 on aliexpress. It actually works pretty well. As a sax player, I put the ring on my right middle finger about halfway down, facing my palm. That makes it pretty quick to operate with my thumb when not playing any right hand notes without interfering with normal playing.

Here's how I set it up with MobileSheets (Android):

Pedal Action Settings:
- PEDAL 1 Keys - Hold Next button on remote to register VOLUME_DOWN, action Go to Next Page or Loop to Start (loop is personal preference)
- PEDAL 2 Keys - Hold Prev button on remote to register VOLUME_UP, action Go to Previous Page or Loop to End (loop is personal preference)

Prevent Pedal from Changing Songs - checked (personal preference)

Enter Annotation Mode with Stylus - unchecked. If this is checked, the swipe actions of this button may draw lines on the screen

Touch Action Settings:
- Enable swipe - checked
- Enable tap to turn - checked (may not be necessary, but I like having this option)

Here's how it works:
Next button:
- Single tap swipes up (not useful)
- Double tap swipes left (go to next page) - Will also go to next song after last page
- Long press VOLUME_DOWN (go to next page per Pedal settings) - Will not go to next song but loop back to start Pedal settings

Prev button:
- Single tap swipes down (not useful)
- Double tap swipes right (go to prev page) - Will also go to prev song after first page
- Long press VOLUME_DOWN (go to prev page per Pedal settings) - Will not go to prev song but loop back to start Pedal settings

Middle button:
- Single tap does click in the middle of the screen - I use it to toggle setlist display
- Long press for power toggle or pairing. Never long press during a performance as it can also lock the screen.

What works best for me is long press for next/prev page, double tap for next/prev song. I use the middle button to show/hide the set list. If you never intend to use long press next/prev there is no need to set up any pedal actions. It will work fine with the double press for swipes.

I use my tablet in portrait most of the time and with half page turns enabled. I find this gives me plenty of room for error.

I've used a pedal for years, but still occasionally get lost or go the wrong way because I have to look down to get my foot over the correct button. Using this remote ring means I never have to take my eyes off the page.

[Image: 614OLXsFfeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
Sounds interesting for me as an accordeon player in an orchestra. 
Could you share a type name or a link to amazon? 

Regards, 
Andreas
Andreas
---------------------------------
MS Surface Pro7, Win10;  Samsung 10" tablet, Android;   MouKey foot pedal
This is the one I bought on Amazon (mine was a return marked down to ~$17). Later I found the same on aliexpress for less, but shipped from China.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WYVKFWJ
A word of warning: As I found out the hard way some of these 'tik tok page turners' do not use PAGEUP and PAGEDOWN keys (i.e., emulate mouse or keyboard keys), but perform SWIPERIGHT and SWIPELEFT operations. MSPro currently cannot handle these.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(02-23-2023, 06:25 PM)sciurius Wrote: A word of warning: As I found out the hard way some of these 'tik tok page turners' do not use PAGEUP and PAGEDOWN keys (i.e., emulate mouse or keyboard keys), but perform SWIPERIGHT and SWIPELEFT operations. MSPro currently cannot handle these.

Actually MSPro handles swipes just fine, plus you can use keys as well, all of which is detailed in my post. 

I also wrote in detail in another post how to reprogram other page tuners that do swipes out of the box to use keys instead.
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...-9307.html
Thanks for sharing this. I had been using a page turner ring from Amerteer when using MobileSheets with my tablet and tuba. It was able to be set up without any of this, but the battery stopped holding a charge after 6 months. I tried the ring you showed but couldn't figure out that I had to unchceck "Enter Annotation Mode with Stylus" for it to work. I returned it and ordered a 5 button one:

[Image: 61yvMXAWpPL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg]

This had a similar issue. I decided to search to see if anyone had success with these and found your post. After unchecking stylus it works exactly as I wanted. It just means that when I annotate my music I have to manually activate the stylus. 

My only issue with this is that the buttons are a little small, but it's easier for me to use this than to try to get my feet in the right place when holding a tuba.
Well, after a few rehearsals, I'm going back to my foot pedal. While this works fine when I have a free hand. There are too many times when I don't.

I still think it would be a nice pedal replacement if you have a free hand more often than not, like in the case of a tuba as above.
Thanks for your feedback. I think I would have the same experience (being a guitar player) so I don't even need to try.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Hi everyone, I'm trying to "map" volume buttons in the pedal switch settings. I'm trying with the built-in devices' buttons. It works in Android but not in iPad. Do you know if there's a way on iPad?
iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen, iPadOS17. Samsung tablet, Android14. Samsung cell phone (Note10Lite), Android13.
I can confirm that I have the same problems with my iPad (often iOs is the culprit because of the strict sandbox incompatibilities). I can't get the rings to work.

For now I'm using one of those cheap photo remotes for smartphones like

https://www.amazon.de/Bluetooth-Fernbedi...08D8JJZ4J/

(similar to that, not exactly this one. I ordered some from Alibaba). I put it with a rubber band at my left index finger and use it with my left thumb. 

At least one button works to assign it to paging forward which is sufficient (for Windows and Android both buttons worked).