• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing PDFs hangs at cropping
I'm importing a bunch of PDFs from Google Drive, all unique filenames. The initial transfer step succeeds, I get the dialog prompting me to auto-crop, add to setlist, set other metatags etc., but when it starts to crop, it hangs on the first file. If I quit and relaunch, then run the process again, it prompts me to overwrite/rename that first file, but hangs again. I've imported this same batch of files many times before without issue, so it's not likely to be a file-related issue (corrupt PDF or something).

Tried it using the Local File option, still hitting Google Drive, same issue. Tried just importing one file (and a different file, just in case the first file was the problem), same issue.

If I deselect auto-crop, it imports properly. I can open an individual song and use the "auto-crop all pages" feature successfully, so it isn't an issue with auto-crop in general.

If I cancel the hung (on cropping) import, and then try to display an existing PDF file, it just gives me a grey screen. I have to quit & relaunch MobileSheets for it to display PDFs.

MobileSheets 3.7.0 on iOS 16.3.1 on iPad 10th gen
MobileSheets 3.7.0 on iOS 16.3.1 on iPad Pro 12.9-in 3rd gen
I have the same issue - even in the recent update from today:
After importing a .pdf-document from any source (I tried OneDrive and local document) the dialog "Import-Einstellungen" (import-settings) opens and after filling in the appropriate information the dialog "Dateien importieren" (importing documents) starts and infinitely continues (the wheel runs around all the time, it does not freeze).

MobileSheets 3.7.2
on iPad with OS 16.3.1
If you turn off auto-crop, that should stop the issue for the time being. I will fix this for version 3.7.3. Thanks for letting me know about it. There were some crash reports that I was trying to address that introduced some multi-threading locking issues.

Mike
I'm too OCD to not auto-crop...but the workaround is to pull everything into an Android device & export a setlist, which is easy enough. Then I can use the super-cool network sync feature to update between iPads. Come to think of it, I could probably just use the super-cool network sync feature to update straight from Android to iOS, couldn't I...
Yes, you can certainly do that. I'll try to get the next update released in a couple days after I add a few more enhancements and bug fixes.

Mike
Hey Mike,
I'm sorry to say, but it still hangs even with auto-crop turned off (in the import-settings-dialog), it still infinitely goes on with the import-files-dialog. Don't worry, the windows/android to iPad workaround is fine for me for the time being, but I wanted to bring this to your attention again Smile
I can't seem to reproduce any issues with using the import dialog with my latest changes, but the only modifications I made were related to the cropping. Are you importing local files or iCloud files? I did make changes to the way iCloud files are processed to ensure that they are fully downloaded before MobileSheets processes them, so I just want to know if that's related to what you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello Mike,

it seems to me as if some of the steps on the way do not always work the same which would obviously be quite strange and could also have something to do with the iPad...

On the last try with ...
- local files and auto-crop turned off the import sometimes works perfectly and sometimes hangs at "import files"/"initialize file import"
- local files and auto-crop turned on the import sometimes hangs at "import files"/"initialize file import" and sometimes hangs at "import files"/"cropping file ..." 

For OneDrive import the cases are similar. I have not tried iCloud because I don't use it.

As I tried different settings a number of times, a cause for hanging at "import files"/"initialize file import" might be that something gets stuck when importing the same file multiple times. I think it got solved by closing and restarting the app.

You will have many more insights as I have into what might cause these sorts of behavior but my conclusion/interpretation right now would be that apart from the cropping issue there seems to be a second, possibly unrelated issue with initializing the file import. This second issue might be caused by damaged and or unregistered import files that were produced during a flawed import because of the first issue
Thanks, I'll see if I can reproduce further issues by reimporting the same files multiple times, or different versions of the same file multiple times.

Mike
I'm not having any luck reproducing those issues MB10. If you import a new PDF that you haven't imported before, do you encounter the same issue? How many times do I have to import before encountering the problem? I've imported locally many times in a row as well as from the cloud with no issues.

Thanks,
Mike
I am having the same issue

Importing files

Initializing resources for file import with a spinning wheel.

A restart of the ipad fixed my issue.
I'm assuming you turned off the automatic cropping, correct Learux? There is definitely an issue with that. I'm not sure how to reproduce the other issues with importing files though, as I'm not seeing that on my iPad Pro. Were you importing local files, iCloud files or files from a cloud service (Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive)?

Thanks,
Mike
(03-06-2023, 11:39 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm not having any luck reproducing those issues MB10. If you import a new PDF that you haven't imported before, do you encounter the same issue? How many times do I have to import before encountering the problem? I've imported locally many times in a row as well as from the cloud with no issues.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike,

I believe the issue is produced by the following process:

1) import a new PDF that I haven't imported before with auto-crop on --> the process hangs at cropping
2) cancel the import
3) try to import the same PDF again with auto-crop off --> the process already hangs at initializing
4) if I close the app and restart it then 3) works. It says that the PDF has already been imported and asks if I want to replace it. replacing the PDF leads to a successful import.

I just imported 3 or 4 new songs and in the end everything worked, so I think for now it's fine especially after the update you were working on that fixes the auto-crop-problem goes live.
(03-07-2023, 08:49 AM)MB10 Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 11:39 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm not having any luck reproducing those issues MB10. If you import a new PDF that you haven't imported before, do you encounter the same issue? How many times do I have to import before encountering the problem? I've imported locally many times in a row as well as from the cloud with no issues.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike,

I believe the issue is produced by the following process:

1) import a new PDF that I haven't imported before with auto-crop on --> the process hangs at cropping
2) cancel the import
3) try to import the same PDF again with auto-crop off --> the process already hangs at initializing
4) if I close the app and restart it then 3) works. It says that the PDF has already been imported and asks if I want to replace it. replacing the PDF leads to a successful import.

I just imported 3 or 4 new songs and in the end everything worked, so I think for now it's fine especially after the update you were working on that fixes the auto-crop-problem goes live.

This is exactly what happened to me as well. Yes, I did turn off auto crop
Well that is ultimately all caused by the cropping bug, because the thread that is processing the crop hangs, and that thread is needed for future imports. So it sounds like the issue will be properly addressed with my changes once the cropping bug is gone.

Thanks,
Mike