• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do I have a book conflict?
Hello again!

Doing syncs to and from a cloud folder between an iPad and a Mac, I run into a lot of apparent conflicts that surprise me because they're not things that I have changed.

One common example is shown here, attached. This Real Christmas Book is not a book that I have really ever used at all. I don't use the songs, I don't edit them, annotate them, add them to lists, or anything. I just imported it with a CSV, and then used either a sync to cloud or backup/restore to get it to the other device. I have the book just in case someone asks for a Christmas song.

But now when I do new syncs to cloud folder, I get prompted for lots of apparent conflicts like this. I have never modified this PDF. But somehow it thinks one has a newer date than the other. I have never heard of this song "T'was The Night Before Christmas". 

Did a PDF's modification date get updated because of some sync or backup/restore operation?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Something modified the file in some way to cause the prompt. MobileSheets should ignore the changes otherwise. MobileSheets performed a hash of the file on each device, but the result was different, so that's why you saw the prompt. I can't say what could have modified your files without knowing every action you took between the last sync and the one you screenshotted. 

Mike
Yea so unfortunately I don’t have time to dive into this one right now. Other times I just want to sync changes to playlists so I deselect everything but groups, but sync starts doing all kinds of song comparisons. It takes so long that it never finishes. 

I can come back at some point and do some Controlled experiments with sync if you’re up for it to hash out some of these issues. 

But for now, I’m doing full backup / restore for now as the most reliable way to sync, even though it’s 1.6GB.
I'm always up to try to figure these things out. Once I change the database to store the file hashes, that could obviously help speed things up a lot. 

Mike
I'm guessing this problem could have been caused by the signed int hash issue, fixed in 3.7.7. I haven't been syncing to a folder anymore, and file conflicts weren't that common. But I'm optimistic :-)
Yes, it certainly would have caused this issue as well. So I'm also optimistic. 

Mike