• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
setlist rename breaks syncing
Hi again!

So, I'm reporting a sync bug.

I decided to make my setlists pop a little better by adding emoji to some of their names. I did this on my MacBook. When I then synced to my iPad, both sides ended up with NEW playlists instead of the renamed ones:

MS obviously thinks these are new setlists, not renamed ones. It seems like the sync must be keying on the name of the setlist (which changed) rather than some internal ID (which would not have changed). But I used the "Rename" feature, so MS knew that my intention was just to "rename", not to create a new setlist, like maybe a "duplicate" or "save as..." operation would have implied. So I would expect MS to sync based on Setlist ID and treat the name as an attribute of the list that should be synced. 

(Note that the setlists have different numbers of songs because I also deleted a bunch of tunes on one side before syncing. That shouldn't have any impact on this issue).

Thanks in advance!!

Dave
This is not a bug. The sync feature is designed to allow two different libraries to be merged that have different database IDs. I can't just assume the table IDs should match for everything because that wouldn't work when band members merge their libraries. So MobileSheets matches on name, and if the names don't match, it will delete the old group and create a new group.

Mike
(03-26-2023, 04:58 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: So MobileSheets matches on name, and if the names don't match, it will delete the old group and create a new group.

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, what happened is that nothing was deleted. Neither side thinks the other side, with a different-named setlist, is the "same" setlist as the one it has. So it keeps the one it has, and pulls the other as a new one. So instead of syncing a single setlist between devices, both devices end up with 2 setlists: the one with the old name and another with the new name.
That's only true if you use the two-way sync option. If you use the one-way sync, one device should force the other device to match it, including deleting groups that aren't on the primary tablet.

Mike
(03-28-2023, 07:02 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's only true if you use the two-way sync option. If you use the one-way sync, one device should force the other device to match it, including deleting groups that aren't on the primary tablet.

Mike

Oh yes, of course. Big Grin  Thanks. In fact, I think I used the one-way sync to get things back in sync, after fixing my "master" side.