• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copying library to another computer
I'm very new to MobileSheets... still slugging through the documentation. Have it pretty much working, but still trying to get some of the "more advanced" configuration working.

I have MSheets running on a Windows system (my "master"), a Windows laptop, and an Android tablet. I am syncing through Google Drive, and that seems to be working fine using the default library. And, of course, everything backed up on each computer as well as the "master" to Goggle Drive.

Here's where it isn't working as I'd hope:

I decided it would be advantageous to segregate music by instrument: ukulele and flute as an example. On my master system I have created two new libraries: "ukulele" and "flute". Each has only its expected sheets, and I can swap between those as expected by setting the active library in "settings". I have synced that working system to Google Drive.

I then synced my tablet to Google Drive... it updated all of the sheet files to the default library (as expected). I had expected/hoped that it would also add the library definitions for "ukulele" and "flute" as set up on the master, but it did not.

So how DO I get those library definitions onto the other computers? Do I just have to hand-create each of those libraries from scratch on each computer? Or is there a better way to copy them?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
The way things currently work, you can't backup/restore multiple libraries, and you can't sync multiple libraries at once. You have to first create and switch libraries on each device first, then you can restore or sync to that active library. It is set up this way as it's more flexible and lets you sync any one library to another library. I recognize that it does create extra work when you just want to synchronize multiple libraries between your own devices though, so I do have plans in the future to allow for backing up and restoring multiple separate libraries as well as potentially synchronizing multiple libraries at once (although I'll have to think through that one a bit).

Mike
Maybe it's easier to keep everything in one library and use collections to select "ukulele", "flute" and the like.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(04-08-2023, 02:00 AM)itsme Wrote: Maybe it's easier to keep everything in one library and use collections to select "ukulele", "flute" and the like.

Well, the example was somewhat simplified. The "ukulele" sheets (and no other) are to be shared with friend1 and the "flute" sheets are to be shared with friend2. I could, of course, just bundle it into a single library, but I'd rather not share some of my sheets with anyone else.
(04-07-2023, 12:24 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: The way things currently work, you can't backup/restore multiple libraries, and you can't sync multiple libraries at once. You have to first create and switch libraries on each device first, then you can restore or sync to that active library. It is set up this way as it's more flexible and lets you sync any one library to another library. I recognize that it does create extra work when you just want to synchronize multiple libraries between your own devices though, so I do have plans in the future to allow for backing up and restoring multiple separate libraries as well as potentially synchronizing multiple libraries at once (although I'll have to think through that one a bit).

Mike
Since this is a one time thing, can I get around this by creating a backup of "ukulele" to the cloud from my master (windows) device, then restore that to my android device to (with library set to [a presumably empty] "ukulele" library)?

Or can I get away with manually copying the ukulele.db from my master system to my android device?

A somewhat related question: any way to sync the edittings of a sheet to my other devices? So far it seems like I have to independently make the same manual edittings on each device. THAT is going to be a pain.
Yes, synchronizing the ukulele library to the cloud from the Windows device and then synchronizing to the Android device's ukulele library should work great. Just make sure you set the sync type to "Update Folder" on the Windows device, and "Update device" on the Android device.

If you use the sync library feature, that absolutely should handle pushing over any edits you make to the files. Just make sure you set the sync type properly (i.e. don't use the two-way sync if possible).

Mike