• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cropping issue on Windows (in two-pages mode)
On Windows, I have found that using "crop" on a multi-page sheet messes up the 2-page display -- the cropped (short) page gets enlarged relative to the uncropped page. I guess it's still usable that way, but it sure looks strange and distracting. I've found the only reliable way to "crop" junk off the bottom of a second page is to instead edit that page and "cut" the junk on the second page, leaving a full-size second page which then does display properly.

One-page sheets that I crop do get enlarged when displayed after cropping, but that's less distracting since there's no first page to call attention to the scaling.

Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying to have to use two different methods to get consistent display results.

Maybe there is a display setting that I haven't discovered that would fix this? Maybe a way to disable the scaling on non-full sheets?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Joe
By default, MobileSheets will always scale up pages to fill the screen. If you enable the option to zoom out past 100%, you could shrink the pages to get the size you want. In the future, I may add an option to normalize page sizes so that MobileSheets will fill the page with white pixels if needed to get it to match certain dimensions.

Mike
(04-09-2023, 10:11 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: By default, MobileSheets will always scale up pages to fill the screen. If you enable the option to zoom out past 100%, you could shrink the pages to get the size you want. In the future, I may add an option to normalize page sizes so that MobileSheets will fill the page with white pixels if needed to get it to match certain dimensions.

Mike

Thank you for explaining. I would very much like that "normalize" option.

Joe
If I understand it correctly the problem should only occur if you crop the width. It happened to me a few times if there's only a coda I put as last page and cropped it. I think a temporary fix could be not to not crop the last page manually or keep the width at the same size as the previous pages (and "white out" the undesired parts if needed).
(04-09-2023, 05:57 PM)BRX Wrote: If I understand it correctly the problem should only occur if you crop the width. It happened to me a few times if there's only a coda I put as last page and cropped it. I think a temporary fix could be not to not crop the last page manually or keep the width at the same size as the previous pages (and "white out" the undesired parts if needed).

Unfortunately, this issue occurs even when the width is left uncropped as I alwasy leave sheets the full width. (I've attached a pic for interest.)    

Yes, the "white out" approach on the last page is an effective workaround.

Joe
It really just depends on whether the page is height-limited or width-limited. In your screenshot, the page is height limited (as you can see black space to the left of the left page). When you reduce the height of the second page, it's no longer height limited, so it expands the width as much as possible and becomes width-limited. That's why the two pages appear different as a different amount of scaling has been applied to each.

As a side note, if you turn the page scaling to "Fit Width" for example, the two pages would have the same scaling, but the tops and bottoms of the left page would be cut off.
(04-10-2023, 03:40 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: It really just depends on whether the page is height-limited or width-limited. In your screenshot, the page is height limited (as you can see black space to the left of the left page). When you reduce the height of the second page, it's no longer height limited, so it expands the width as much as possible and becomes width-limited. That's why the two pages appear different as a different amount of scaling has been applied to each.

As a side note, if you turn the page scaling to "Fit Width" for example, the two pages would have the same scaling, but the tops and bottoms of the left page would be cut off.

Hmmm... I understand. For myself, I can't see ever preferring anything but "fit height" so everything is visible on the screen without scrolling. So what I really need is a "fit height and scale both pages the same", or some such.

I truly appreciate the explanation.

Joe
The pages have to have the same dimensions if you want them to be scaled identically. If I add an option to normalize pages, that would do what you are wanting, as I would basically modify the generated image and add white pixels to make it match the largest page.

Mike
(04-11-2023, 08:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The pages have to have the same dimensions if you want them to be scaled identically. If I add an option to normalize pages, that would do what you are wanting, as I would basically modify the generated image and add white pixels to make it match the largest page.

Mike

I understand. Then "normalize pages" would be great if you can provide it.

Thanks,
Joe
It will certainly be added, but I can't promise exactly when as I'm still working through a lot of feature requests.

Mike