• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scanning in new music quickly
This is probably the most expensive software I've ever bought - but the free stuff wasn't cutting it for me and so far I'm happy with my purchase (even though it's more expensive in the UK than anywhere else - thanks Google!).

Anyway. I play in a couple of brass bands which is one reason for using an electronic music reader (Samsung Galaxy S7+). I was previously using MusicNotes, which is pretty decent except the annotations are a bit limited and it will only accept PDF or proprietary format music. Quite often, new music is handed out at rehearsal and although I use clips to hold my tablet to a regular music stand (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5992706), which means I can just put the paper over the tablet, I'd much rather have it in digital format.

Now, I know I can add new pieces of music from the camera, which is pretty good, but using the camera app natively (i.e. not within the app) allows me to scan sheet music as a document (and so adjust the skew, colours etc.). Using the camera within the app doesn't give me this option - would be helpful to be able to scan and adjust new scores from within the app (including changing the colour/contrast as a lot of the old music is quite beige).
So the way the camera feature works on Android is that I send out an intent requesting that I want a picture to be taken with the camera (ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE). As most devices only have one camera app installed, that app is loaded to take the picture. However, post processing (deskewing, color correction, etc) is not made available by the camera app. That's not something I have control over and I've found no way to make those features available. So you'd need to take the pictures with the camera app, fix them up, then tap the share icon and share the file with MobileSheets. That will import it directly. Alternatively, you can just enter the song editor in MobileSheets, go to the files tab, tap the + icon, then Local File, and select all of the images you want to import that you've already adjusted. You can also use Import->System File Browser to use Google's file picker.

In the long term, I'll have to implement my own UI to handle deskewing, color correction, etc, if I want those features to be available to modify images in MobileSheets. That is certainly something I want to do, but I'm not sure what the timeline will be for it.

Mike
(04-28-2023, 03:30 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: So the way the camera feature works on Android is that I send out an intent requesting that I want a picture to be taken with the camera (ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE). As most devices only have one camera app installed, that app is loaded to take the picture. However, post processing (deskewing, color correction, etc) is not made available by the camera app. That's not something I have control over and I've found no way to make those features available. So you'd need to take the pictures with the camera app, fix them up, then tap the share icon and share the file with MobileSheets. That will import it directly. Alternatively, you can just enter the song editor in MobileSheets, go to the files tab, tap the + icon, then Local File, and select all of the images you want to import that you've already adjusted. You can also use Import->System File Browser to use Google's file picker.

In the long term, I'll have to implement my own UI to handle deskewing, color correction, etc, if I want those features to be available to modify images in MobileSheets. That is certainly something I want to do, but I'm not sure what the timeline will be for it.

Mike

Mike,

You've done remarkable work - I've done a little bit of coding and I know how difficult bug tracing and adding features can be. Thanks for your comprehensive reply, though, makes sense. Hope I didn't come across as ungrateful when I mentioned I'd never paid for software before - was intended as a wry comment, not a criticism of the price.

I think I'll stick to using the paper copy until I have time to scan it in properly for following rehearsals.

R
(04-27-2023, 08:09 PM)spandit Wrote: This is probably the most expensive software I've ever bought
WOW! So you never had Windows/Office or used Apple products.
As a professional I'm appreciate great tools which make life easier.
MobileSheets is so good that I bought it several times to support sole developer.

(04-27-2023, 08:09 PM)spandit Wrote: (even though it's more expensive in the UK than anywhere else - thanks Google!).
I think you should thank Brexit, Farage, Johnson.
Just to say the new scanning functions are really good. Even without altering the image afterwards, the initial take is good enough for rehearsal
I'm glad to hear the new feature is working well for you! It was a big investment but I thought it offered such a significantly improved picture taking cability that I believe it was worth it. I'm also going to be able to use the same library to provide features to perform image correction on existing PDFs which I'm aiming to include with the next update.

Mike