• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
grouping charts into "songs"
Hi folks!

This is a relatively minor request, but I'll throw it out here anyway.

Often my set lists that I send to the band look like this recent one:

Code:
All Of Me (F) (Dave Lead Sheet)
All Of Me - Lyrics
Route 66 (C)
Wave
Sister Sadie
Sister Sadie (Horace Silver)
Hold On I'm Comin' (Bb, Herbie Mann, for Bb instruments)
Hold On I'm Comin' (Bb, Herbie Mann)
Summertime (dk edit)
Summertime - Lyrics
Moondance
The Odd Couple
Take Five
Mercy Mercy Mercy - Lyrics
Mercy Mercy Mercy
Freddie Freeloader
The Cat (Jimmy Smith) - Lead Sheet (Bb instruments)
The Cat (Jimmy Smith) - Lead Sheet (Eb instruments)
The Cat (Jimmy Smith) - Lead Sheet
Till There Was You (F)
Basin Street Blues
Don't Get Around Much Anymore

You can see that the number of distinct songs is much fewer than the # of charts. That's because sometimes the lyrics are separate, or horn players need a different key, or bass players get a more complex chart that shows the bass line, etc. 

But this makes it a lot harder to see how many songs we have lined up, to discuss adding / removing songs, etc. 

So it would be a lot simpler if the setlist had a way of "grouping" "charts" into "songs". The setlist would just display the "songs". But when you scroll or share, you see all the included charts. And when I'm creating a new setlist in the first place from these charts in my collections, I would select a single "song" to add it to the setlist, and I would be assured that all the components (lyrics, transpositions, etc) would come along for the ride, instead of me having to select them individually by hand.

Does this make sense?
A good way to achieve that was just covered in another thread.

You should create an extra "setlist song" for each of your songs that shall only appear once in the setlist (and you can collect them in a separate collection for ease of use and adding).
Into this setlist song you put the individual sheets you need for the bandmates for the song and you have exactly what you want with MSP as it is already.
The biggest feature I have planned towards the end of the year is the song versioning (which I've mentioned many times before). This will allow for multiple versions of a song under one entry which has been discussed in length in other threads. As part of that, I will support a concept of "roles" where you will be able to assign songs to a specific role (most likely set to each instrument), and each user will get the correct version loaded for them based on their current role selection. I recognize that this will solve a lot of issues like this for many users, but it requires drastic design changes, so it's going to take months of work. I just wanted to mention this again as I think it's the best solution for the problem, but the direction BRX has provided should help with what is currently available.

MIke
(05-06-2023, 09:27 AM)BRX Wrote: A good way to achieve that was just covered in another thread.

You should create an extra "setlist song" for each of your songs that shall only appear once in the setlist (and you can collect them in a separate collection for ease of use and adding).
Into this setlist song you put the individual sheets you need for the bandmates for the song and you have exactly what you want with MSP as it is already.

Thanks for this reply. What do you mean by "extra setlist song"? And what is a "sheet"?

If it would be easier, you could link me to the other discussion you're referencing.

Thanks!
(05-06-2023, 10:33 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: multiple versions of a song under one entry ... a concept of "roles" where you will be able to assign songs to a specific role (most likely set to each instrument)

This sounds very cool and useful. Maybe perfect.

One note: most of my players don't use MobileSheets, so they won't have any "role" defined in their software. I just send everyone a bunch of PDFs, which is fine for now. But what I'm looking for is a way for me to manage things on my end more efficiently: bundling song "versions" together. 

It sounds like your feature will provide for that, but it's hard to tell what it's going to look like. Sounds exciting either way!