• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest update - audio issues
Thanks for the new update. A few comments about the new audio engine.
- The "Enable experimental audio" option doesn't stay visually checked for me, even though the new player is active, and I change pitch etc.
- In the first minutes of playing around with it, audio stopped working. I tried to quit and restart the program but that didn't fix it. When I looked at the running apps through Android there was something still running and once I'd killed that, the problem went away. I've haven't yet had sufficient time to try and reproduce this.
- Crossfade is great, but doesn't yet do what I need, which is crossfade between songs, not between tracks in one song. Will this be possible?
Keep up the great work!
Tim
Android 4.4.2
(11-02-2018, 10:08 PM)TimGaved Wrote: Thanks for the new update. A few comments about the new audio engine.
- The "Enable experimental audio" option doesn't stay visually checked for me, even though the new player is active, and I change pitch etc.
- In the first minutes of playing around with it, audio stopped working. I tried to quit and restart the program but that didn't fix it. When I looked at the running apps through Android there was something still running and once I'd killed that, the problem went away. I've haven't yet had sufficient time to try and reproduce this.
- Crossfade is great, but doesn't yet do what I need, which is crossfade between songs, not between tracks in one song. Will this be possible?
Keep up the great work!
Tim
Android 4.4.2

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was looking for crossfade between songs, not between tracks in one song.

I hope this becomes an option.
If you change the audio player layout to the largest size (3) and then you tap the icon with multiple music notes, it will add all tracks to one list. Then you can crossfade between them.  Crossfading between tracks owned by different songs presents a lot more problems with the current design. If you set it up to crossfade tracks but then you never change the song that is displayed, for example, MobileSheetsPro will be playing a track that isn't even in the track list and once the current track finishes and it's supposed to switch to display the next track in the audio player, problems will arise.  The only way that would work is if I modified the audio player to basically always load all tracks from all songs in a setlist if crossfading is enabled. If that's something you would like me to do, I can certainly look into doing that.

Mike
(11-04-2018, 02:35 AM)Zuberman Wrote: If you change the audio player layout to the largest size (3) and then you tap the icon with multiple music notes, it will add all tracks to one list. Then you can crossfade between them.  Crossfading between tracks owned by different songs presents a lot more problems with the current design. If you set it up to crossfade tracks but then you never change the song that is displayed, for example, MobileSheetsPro will be playing a track that isn't even in the track list and once the current track finishes and it's supposed to switch to display the next track in the audio player, problems will arise.  The only way that would work is if I modified the audio player to basically always load all tracks from all songs in a setlist if crossfading is enabled. If that's something you would like me to do, I can certainly look into doing that.

Mike

The reason I would like crossfade between songs is so that I can use the audio player to play a synth pad sound behind a song and then when I switch to another song it will cross fade to a different pad (either a different sound or different key). The amount of time I want the pad to play for is not predetermined; I would like the crossfade to start when I switch songs. The audio files containing the synth pad are normally much longer than the songs, so the audio file finishing before I've switched is not a problem. If the next song has no audio attached to it then I would just like the old audio to fade out. The additional option to fade out when I stop the audio would be ideal.
This is pretty typical situation for small Christian worship bands.
So to summarize the logic:
1. The first song in set list that has audio (which may not be the first song), will either start playing automatically (because it's set to start on load), or because I've pressed the button or triggered it in some other way
2. On the switching to the next song crossfade to the audio owned by that song. 
3.  Keep doing this for each next song, unless that song has no audio in which case fade to nothing. The next song after that will be like step 1 again.
4. When I stop the audio on the last song with a button press or trigger fade to nothing.
This could be achieved by loading all the audio of the setlist at the same time and switching through them on next page. If one of the songs in the middle of the list didn't have audio it would be a problem. A hack to solve it might be to create a silent audio file.
All this could be more complex than you want to fix at the moment!
Currently when the next song is selected the current audio finishes with a distinct click. If you could fix this so that it finishes silently (rapid fade to zero?) then I could live without intersong crossfade for the moment.
Thanks
Tim
(11-06-2018, 09:08 AM)TimGaved Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 02:35 AM)Zuberman Wrote: If you change the audio player layout to the largest size (3) and then you tap the icon with multiple music notes, it will add all tracks to one list. Then you can crossfade between them.  Crossfading between tracks owned by different songs presents a lot more problems with the current design. If you set it up to crossfade tracks but then you never change the song that is displayed, for example, MobileSheetsPro will be playing a track that isn't even in the track list and once the current track finishes and it's supposed to switch to display the next track in the audio player, problems will arise.  The only way that would work is if I modified the audio player to basically always load all tracks from all songs in a setlist if crossfading is enabled. If that's something you would like me to do, I can certainly look into doing that.

Mike

The reason I would like crossfade between songs is so that I can use the audio player to play a synth pad sound behind a song and then when I switch to another song it will cross fade to a different pad (either a different sound or different key). The amount of time I want the pad to play for is not predetermined; I would like the crossfade to start when I switch songs. The audio files containing the synth pad are normally much longer than the songs, so the audio file finishing before I've switched is not a problem. If the next song has no audio attached to it then I would just like the old audio to fade out. The additional option to fade out when I stop the audio would be ideal.
This is pretty typical situation for small Christian worship bands.
So to summarize the logic:
1. The first song in set list that has audio (which may not be the first song), will either start playing automatically (because it's set to start on load), or because I've pressed the button or triggered it in some other way
2. On the switching to the next song crossfade to the audio owned by that song. 
3.  Keep doing this for each next song, unless that song has no audio in which case fade to nothing. The next song after that will be like step 1 again.
4. When I stop the audio on the last song with a button press or trigger fade to nothing.
This could be achieved by loading all the audio of the setlist at the same time and switching through them on next page. If one of the songs in the middle of the list didn't have audio it would be a problem. A hack to solve it might be to create a silent audio file.
All this could be more complex than you want to fix at the moment!
Currently when the next song is selected the current audio finishes with a distinct click. If you could fix this so that it finishes silently (rapid fade to zero?) then I could live without intersong crossfade for the moment.
Thanks
Tim

Tim, I am doing EXACTLY what you want using Midi and Bome as a temporary work around. I have posted a video on how I am doing it....I admit its kind of pain but it works for the time being.

https://youtu.be/ibOuNxg_APk
(11-17-2018, 03:00 PM)ConnerNA Wrote: Tim, I am doing EXACTLY what you want using Midi and Bome as a temporary work around. I have posted a video on how I am doing it....I admit its kind of pain but it works for the time being.

https://youtu.be/ibOuNxg_APk

That's neat, though I see you're running everything under Windows, whereas I'm using MobileSheets on an Android tablet. I'd already played around with using a separate PC for pads, using MobileSheets to control AbletonLite via midi. I could still use your method, which is more flexible, but it would require me to buy Bome Pro. Thanks for sharing the idea.
I can look into having a pause that fades out over a fast duration instead of instantly. As far as the crossfading, what you are describing is that you want the crossfade to occur when switching to a new song, not to start crossfading before the current track ends. That's actually very different than what I've added. With that, having a "crossfade duration" doesn't make much sense to me. I think what you are really looking for is a fade out over a second or two while the new track fades in. It's just a nicer transition between the tracks versus a gradual fade out/fade in over a longer period of time. If the song you switch to isn't configured to automatically play its audio track when loaded, I would just fade out the other track without starting the new track. Does that make sense? Let me know if I'm wrong in my understanding of your request.

Thanks,
Mike
Yes that's right for the cross fading.
Re the first sentence, I don't need a pause that does a rapid fade out, unless a pause is what you automatically send to the audio player when you switch songs. If the cross song fading is too difficult at the moment, then a rapid fade out when I switch song would be a good compromise. At the moment, the abrupt switch from the middle of one audio file to the audio file of the new song  causes a click. (At least it used too - I haven't actually tested this on the new audio software)
Thanks
Tim
(11-20-2018, 03:03 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I can look into having a pause that fades out over a fast duration instead of instantly. As far as the crossfading, what you are describing is that you want the crossfade to occur when switching to a new song, not to start crossfading before the current track ends. That's actually very different than what I've added. With that, having a "crossfade duration" doesn't make much sense to me. I think what you are really looking for is a fade out over a second or two while the new track fades in. It's just a nicer transition between the tracks versus a gradual fade out/fade in over a longer period of time. If the song you switch to isn't configured to automatically play its audio track when loaded, I would just fade out the other track without starting the new track. Does that make sense? Let me know if I'm wrong in my understanding of your request.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I've been wanting the same feature Tim is talking about in this thread.  I can see now why a crossfade between songs might be more of a difficult change for you in the programming, but I think a workable solution would be fade out of whatever track is playing when the song changes.  Right now, if you have a track playing in "Song 1" and you turn the page to "Song 2" before the end of the track has ended, there is a very audibly abrupt stop to the track that was playing before the start of the track for "Song 2".  If the player would simply do a fadeout to the track from "Song 1" when the page is turned to a new song, it would really help with smooth audio transitions from song to song.

Along with this, it would also be really helpful to be able to assign the metronome's audio signal to either the right, left or both channels.  With this option, we could use the internal metronome as a click track with our In Ear Monitor system.
I've added a fade out/fade in between songs, and a fade out while pausing/stopping. Would any of you like to test an early build to verify it works well for you on your systems? If so, please send an email to mike@zubersoft.com and I'll send you the link to the build.  

I also added support for panning the metronome volume left/right.

Thanks,
Mike
I've added the ability to crossfade between songs in a setlist now. It took some work but it seems to function fairly well. If anyone wants to help test it before the official release, please send an email to mike@zubersoft.com. You will have to have purchased through Google Play in order to install the build.

Thanks,
Mike