• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing a setlist via bluetooth resulting in a .txt file
To replicate:
1. Tap on MYSETLIST > Share > Share songs and files > Bluetooth
2. Mark all 4 options > Ok
3. Choose your paired device

Expected behavior: MYSETLIST.msf file will be transferred to the paired device
Actual behavior: MYSETLIST.msf.txt is transferred to the paired device. 

Renaming MYSETLIST.msf.txt as MYSETLIST.msf on the target device solves the problem and allows importing the setlist on that device without further problems, but it's an extra step that shouldn't be required. 

Tried with different Android devices using 3.9.3, same problem. 

Exporting MYSETLIST instead of sharing it works as expected.
I have to rename the file to .msf.txt because the bluetooth file sharing won't work for file types the OS doesn't allow. So it's renamed to .txt, which is allowed with bluetooth sharing, and if you import the .msf.txt file in MobileSheets, it will recognize that it is a .msf file and handle it appropriately.

Mike
 if you import the .msf.txt file in MobileSheets, it will recognize that it is a .msf file and handle it appropriately.

It doesn't work like that here. Importing that msf.txt file just imports a document with weird characters. 
How are you going about importing the file? You need to use Import->Local File in MobileSheets itself when handling those files. I don't believe you can just tap the txt file outside MobileSheets to import it in this case. I just tested with Import->Local File and it worked perfectly fine to import a .msf.txt file.

Mike
Strange, because Import > local file behaves exactly the same as tapping a file > open with MS, and  also doesn't work for me, it just import a corrupted song (not even a setlist).

Tried with different devices and with different setlists, same result. 

The only way I can import the set list successfully so far is by renaming the .msf.txt file to an .msf file again.
Can you share the .msf.txt file with mike@zubersoft.com? I want to take a look at it. 

Thanks,
Mike
Done Smile
To follow up on this, the file that was shared is named Test.msf_021730.txt. That is not going to work - it has to be named .msf.txt, i.e. Test.msf.txt. I don't know why the bluetooth sharing is renaming the file, as MobileSheets doesn't have control over that. 

MIke
This seems to be a problem that shows up outside MobileSheets: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestion...have_time/

So it's an OS behavior unfortunately.

Mike
Even though it seems overkill, what I can do is also look for a file with a name like Test.msf_#.txt and treat that like a .msf file as well to get around this.

Mike
Thanks, and sorry for not being clear on my first post, for some reason I just skipped the added characters.

It's a shame tat Android doesn't allow sharing certain file types and you have to rename it as .txt. This renders the whole process kind of confusing for the average user.
I'm not sure if it's some kind of security restriction. All I know is that, in the past, when I didn't rename it to .txt, the file would show that it was being transferred by the bluetooth sharing, but it would never arrive on the other device (meaning it was blocked by the OS). That change was made a long time ago though. I can test it again with newer OS versions to see if anything has changed.

Mike