• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the ideal tablet for MobileSheetsPro
(07-23-2017, 05:59 PM)conductor_63 Wrote: The ideal tablet for me as a conductor of a wind orchestra is my Samsung Galaxy View with 18,4" screen. Maybe it's the largest one which can be found. It can display the scores by 2 pages parallel. By tapping to the right it turns the next 2 pages. I got it by a good offer for 555€.
Best regards to all musicians from Saxony/Germany.

how is the resolution for reading music? reviews claim the View is awful for text reading, especially coming from the higher resolution Note Pro 12.2,  but it appears to be very popular for movie-on-the-go purposes. What do you use for annotation writing, a proprietary pen? Thanks.
(09-06-2017, 08:40 AM)delgado Wrote:
(07-23-2017, 05:59 PM)conductor_63 Wrote: The ideal tablet for me as a conductor of a wind orchestra is my Samsung Galaxy View with 18,4" screen. Maybe it's the largest one which can be found. It can display the scores by 2 pages parallel. By tapping to the right it turns the next 2 pages. I got it by a good offer for 555€.
Best regards to all musicians from Saxony/Germany.

how is the resolution for reading music? reviews claim the View is awful for text reading, especially coming from the higher resolution Note Pro 12.2,  but it appears to be very popular for movie-on-the-go purposes. What do you use for annotation writing, a proprietary pen? Thanks.
I have purchased 5 of these tables - one for each member of our string quartet and one as a spare for substitute musicians - and they are OUTSTANDING.  The resolution is crisp and clear, and the battery life is unbelieveable.  I've played for 4+ hours without the need to recharge.
List price is now $399, unfortunately prices here are over €700!
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I currently have a number of tables in play depending on the current gig/concert I have to play. 
Two of them stands out mainly because of the screen size / format.

First is the Google Pixel C. 10.2" display in 3:2 format. I used to have another 10" tablet en widescreen format, but the difference between them is very noticeable. the 3:2 format is just so much better for viewing pdf's. 
The only disadvantage is that the Google Pixel C is quite expensive, when looking at its age. But its performance is fantastic.

My absolutely winner is not a tablet but the Samsung Chromebook Pro, which runs Android apps. This has a 12" display, again in 3:2 format. Of all the different systems I have used this is the best. It comes with a stylus that makes annotation much easier. I cannot stress how much better the 3:2 format is compared to widescreen. Something that Apple figured out long ago with the iPads, and microsoft followed with the surface tablet. 

When comparing to the hansspree 13.3" widescreen display, you get almost the same sheet size out of the 10.2" pixel C due to the 3:2 format. 13.3 inch widescreen in portrait mode is just plain annoying. 
with the 12 inch Samsung you get much more effective screen size than with a 13.3 inch widescreen.

I also use a 9.7" e-Ink onyx from time to time, depending on what/where I have to play. The e-ink is also really good, but it is a different thing all together compared to a "real" tablet. It would be unfair to compare them.
For the price (and size), I think this is the winner (get two, to have a back up!): https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-13-3-Ful...ision+13.3
Not sure if anyone else has recommended the Galaxy View 18.4" tablet but it beats the pants off any other tablet when it comes to sheet music.  It exactly fits a music stand, and displays two full-sized pages side-by-side.  The cost has been dropping, and new ones can be found for less than $400 on sale.  All four members of the string quartet use it exclusively (no paper music), and we have a back-up tablet whenever we have a sub play a gig with us.  https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablet...70nzkaxar/ 
Heart
https://www.gvido.tokyo/
This GVIDO - Hardware (double screen tablet) in combination with mobilesheets (but including synchronisation feature Big Grin ) is exactely, what I am looking for! Ok the price is a bit too high, but if this works (not only as a music reader)...
(https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...p?tid=4302)

What I am able to see about the software it seems as if they are not yet at the level from mobilesheets.

Does anyone knows what OS is used?
In Germany it is not yet available, "coming soon".
---------------------------------------------------------
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-P1325, Android 4.1.1
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-I1345, Android 5.1.1
Microsoft Surface Pro 4; Windows 10
Phone: Motorola Moto G3, Android 6.0
I have to send my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro back.  It won't power up when the battery gets below 67%.  I see there are many posts on Google about a battery terminal manufacturing issue with this device. I end up waiting until it is 100% charged before turning on.

So, I am looking for a replacement.  I would only be using the device for MobileSheetsPro at the piano.

I guess I can go ahead and try the "NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple"  

At least it is not expensive.
NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple
(02-13-2018, 04:48 AM)RVDowning Wrote: I have to send my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro back.  It won't power up when the battery gets below 67%.  I see there are many posts on Google about a battery terminal manufacturing issue with this device. I end up waiting until it is 100% charged before turning on.

So, I am looking for a replacement.  I would only be using the device for MobileSheetsPro at the piano.

I guess I can go ahead and try the "NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple"  

At least it is not expensive.

Might as well pick up the NuVision at this price ($85?).  It works for Mobilesheets fine (for me) and, if you get a more powerful tablet, you can always keep it as a backup.

Jeff
Only problem the Nuvision almost never is available for that price any more. I've been checking the Amazon site frequently for a friend who wants one but it seems to be always out of stock with no indication when or if it is available again.
(02-14-2018, 04:18 AM)BRX Wrote: Only problem the Nuvision almost never is available for that price any more. I've been checking the Amazon site frequently for a friend who wants one but it seems to be always out of stock with no indication when or if it is available again.

Yeah, it cost me $148.57.  And it looks like that was the last one.  But, something is better than nothing.
NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple
Big Grin 
(04-20-2015, 10:31 PM)concertmaster3 Wrote: I would think that the galaxy note 12.2 would be an amazing tablet. I've got the older galaxy note 10 (gt- N8013), and love it! I've had a Asus transformer and galaxy tab 4. I also own a first generation surface pro, and am excited about the port over to Windows 8.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I started with a Galaxy 10.1 Note (8013), and soon got another as a backup. First, my original failed (boot-looping problem), then the second one did the same thing. So, I bought a Note 2014 version, 10.1, and use that now. I have lately purchased an Amazon Fire HD 10 as backup, and that works really well with Mobilesheets, ( a little finagling to get to use Google Play Store) but the ability to write on the screen isn't as accurate as the Notes. Fire HD 10 was only $150, and it's a great tablet with Alexa. After losing my first Notes, I now store my Mobilesheets library on the SD cards; I wasn't able to get anything off of my Notes after they failed, and lost a lot of songs!
(04-13-2018, 09:39 AM)jfred Wrote: After losing my first Notes, I now store my Mobilesheets library on the SD cards; I wasn't able to get anything off of my Notes after they failed, and lost a lot of songs!

I store my library on my laptop, backed up 5 ways via Dropbox and backup drives. This way I can keep both of my tablets up-to-date and identical. I now rely on MobileSheets and need two tablets for reliability. I'm using two Hannspree 13" tablets; one did die during rehearsal, and I switched to the other; a factory reset and complete reload brought it back. I'm looking to buy a third, different tablet, as I fear these are both becoming flaky.
I am eager to try Mobile Sheets, but first need to find the best tablet/screen.  I currently use a Microsoft Surface 3 for reading PDFs.   Most of what I read are single-page lead sheets.  But I really want to be able to read 2-pages at once comfortably. The 10.3 inch screen of the Surface doesn't work for that.

The 18" Galaxy would clearly be adequate, but I think it might actually be a bit too large.  (I also need to use the tablet on gigs, so mobility is somewhat of an issue.)

The real question is that I cannot tell what is the ideal screen size for me. I'm guessing 13" or 14" would be best, but that is just a guess until I see a 2-page PDF first-hand.  I am also confused about some of the advice here about getting a 3/2 display.  I'm not even sure whether manufacturers always list that detail.  It also occurs to me that Mobile sheets might somehow allow me to go with a smaller size display than I seem to need now just reading PDFs with Adobe reader.

Anyway, right now I am considering a few 2-1 machines: Dell Inspiron 13, Lenovo Flex 16, Asus Flip 14.  I would also look at the chromebooks, but it sounds like people here have had some mixed results.

I would appreciate it if anyone could offer an opinion about the ideal size for displaying 2 pages at once.
(06-09-2018, 10:30 PM)Wynton Wrote: ... Most of what I read are single-page lead sheets.  But I really want to be able to read 2-pages at once comfortably ...
Wynton - welcome.  I don't have much to offer about a bigger tablet, except to say that I started on a 10" tablet and at one point bought a 13" Azpen also for the times when I wanted to display 2 pages.
I missed the ease of getting around with a smaller tablet, and its smaller size on a stage means less visual clutter + separation from the audience. And when playing outdoors in direct sunlight, I found the Azpen's bigger display wasn't as bright and clear.  A bright display is really power-hungry so manufacturers who are focused on advertising battery life seem to shy away.

For myself I've come to recognize that the ability to scroll a score vertically has eliminated pretty much any need or desire for a bigger tablet for me.  I posted more on this over on another thread on two page display,  but the ah-ha for me was realizing that the scrolling tablet does great when I set the song up to be one long linear sequence of pages. It eliminates the need to 'go back' by simply displaying that earlier page again.  For example I can define up the page display sequence in the song's settings as "1-2,1,3".  You can also crop each page individually to display just a part of it, and use annotations to highlight and mark things.

Hope it helps.