• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unicode characters in Library
In MobileSheets if song starts with special characters linke ž ř č é, these songs are sorted last in the library after "Z". Would it be possible to have them sorted after "main character - for example č after c, é after e, etc.? Or would it be possible to make your own sorting rules where you can set where will these characters appear?

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
Adding sorting rules would be quite difficult to implement, but I'm already planning on using a collator during sorting that applies rules specific to each locale. Hopefully after I add this, the special characters will be handled correctly. I will need user feedback to know for certain though.

Thanks,
Mike
I absolutely support this since I am having the exact same problem with greek characters (as mentioned in the other thread).

I will be very happy to help testing this. Just contact me. Smile
And a related request for searching: I'd love it if searching ignored special characters by treating them as the unmodified equivalent (as Google search does), i.e., when I search for "Rattvik polska", it should retrieve both "Rattvik polska" and "Rättvik polska". Any possibility?

Why: quicker for me to search that way, plus it means if I'm unsure (or the title is incorrect) I can still find it easily.
Just fixed this for the next update - special characters will now be ignored while typing in search terms. It doesn't seemed to have affected the speed of the filtering very much, so hopefully people won't even notice it.
(06-06-2015, 05:46 PM)Zuberman Wrote: special characters will now be ignored while typing in search terms

Ignored? When I enter “Sinéad O'Connor” or “Duše Mé Lásky”, what will be searched?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(06-06-2015, 05:46 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Just fixed this for the next update - special characters will now be ignored while typing in search terms. It doesn't seemed to have affected the speed of the filtering very much, so hopefully people won't even notice it.

Thank you!
Ignored was probably a poor choice of word. Special characters will be converted to their standard English character equivalent if possible. So Sinéad O'Connor would become Sinead O' Conner. Having said that, I just realized that I converted the special characters of the song fields before doing comparisons, but I did not convert the special characters of the text in the search field. So I would not be surprised if I now made it impossible to search using special characters.
We'll see ... Smile
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(06-07-2015, 04:31 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Ignored was probably a poor choice of word. Special characters will be converted to their standard English character equivalent if possible.   So Sinéad O'Connor would become Sinead O' Conner. Having said that, I just realized that I converted the special characters of the song fields before doing comparisons, but I did not convert the special characters of the text in the search field.  So I would not be surprised if I now made it impossible to search using special characters.

According to the National Information Standards Organization, you are handling these correctly by converting to the standard English character for sorting and searching.
http://www.niso.org/publications/tr/tr03.pdf

What would be nice is if you were to also follow their recommendation for ignoring punctuation (defined as follows):
Quote:The following punctuation marks should be disregarded for arrangement purposes:
period (full stop), comma, semi-colon, colon, parentheses, square brackets, angle
brackets, braces (curved brackets), apostrophe, quotation marks (single or double), exclamation
mark, question mark. They are not to be treated as spaces.

As an example, currently these two songs sort in this order
 Jesus Shall Reign
 Jesus, Draw Me Ever Nearer

Proper Library sort order would have them in the opposite order, ignoring the comma in the title.
Thank you for the suggestion akoster. I've updated the code, and it now ignores punctuation while sorting or filtering.
(06-19-2015, 10:03 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Thank you for the suggestion akoster. I've updated the code, and it now ignores punctuation while sorting or filtering.

Thank you!