• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChordPro issue after 3.8.0 and 3.8.1
Bug 
Hello Mike,

Yesterday overnight the iPadOS version updated itself to 3.8.0 which caused one of my chordpro files not loading, and the application frozen up. In the evening I noticed you quickly issued 3.8.1 addressing chordpro loading, and now the same file loads up, but doesn't display the same content as before.
I've uploaded the content of the file here.
  • The 2 issues I have now is that the chords used for the intro and outro part, which does not have corresponding lyrics was showing up fine in prior versions, but in the most recent one the page is displayed without those. Only those chords are displayed, which are inline with the lyrics, and not standalone.
  • The other issue is that in prior versions the {soc} {eoc} tags were marking the chorus, indenting the verse on display, and was successfully repeated on {chorus} tag, but this doesn't happen in the new version. No indentation and no repetition.
  • Capo tag is recognized fine. Can't say anything about the rest as I've imported using the companion, which handled the title and key automatically.
  • And there was an occasion that I couldn't access the overlay to transpose the same chordpro, and it was no matter what I was doing, it didn't even show the icons for the functions, instead turned the page/loaded next/prev song. Tried switching on and off performance mode, changed the setting to long press in settings, nothing helped, but after an iOS restart it was working fine. I did a folder sync to Google Drive before, where I noticed that exactly 30% the log went complately empty, I tried to scroll if it is just a bunch of empty lines after the log, but was unable to. It finished successfully, I exited, and then I experienced the overlay issue. As I tried to reproduce, the sync went the same way (log cleared on 30%), but the overlay was working fine. I mentioned but I don't think it is reproducable, and as it's no crash there's nothing to lean on, sorry!

I read you've added support to the pongo markup for chordpro, did you complately switch to a different "engine" which does not recognize these tags? Or is it a bug?

Thanks,
FuFe
It's most likely a bug. There is a version 3.8.3 being released shortly that will address remaining bugs with text and chord pro files. I'll test your file out with 3.8.3 just to verify it all works as expected with the fixes. I apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime. The pango markup did require massive changes to all of the code used for text and chord pro files.

Mike

UPDATE:

The file seems fine using version 3.8.3 on my iPad Pro.
(06-08-2023, 08:56 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: It's most likely a bug. There is a version 3.8.3 being released shortly that will address remaining bugs with text and chord pro files. I'll test your file out with 3.8.3 just to verify it all works as expected with the fixes. I apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime. The pango markup did require massive changes to all of the code used for text and chord pro files.

Mike

UPDATE:

The file seems fine using version 3.8.3 on my iPad Pro.

Thank you Mike! As I've just bought a third-hand iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen, I just tried the landscape orientation with multiple chordpro files, and just noticed the wrapping of the layout to multiple columns only works in portrait, but not in landscape. As both of my devices are on the new version cannot confirm if that is also a bug, or hasn't been working before.
You've created an amazing application, hope you still have the strength to squish those bugs and polish for this platform as well. BTW I'm a long time Android user, just switched to iPadOS starting from beta.
Without knowing more about your setup, did you make sure to turn off "Display half page in landscape" in the display mode settings if you are using the single page display? Otherwise your file is going to be sized to two times the height of the screen in landscape orientation. My iPad Pro is showing multiple columns, so I'm guessing this might be the problem on your device.

Mike
(06-08-2023, 09:53 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Without knowing more about your setup, did you make sure to turn off "Display half page in landscape" in the display mode settings if you are using the single page display? Otherwise your file is going to be sized to two times the height of the screen in landscape orientation. My iPad Pro is showing multiple columns, so I'm guessing this might be the problem on your device.

Mike

Thanks, it was my fault. Never realized that option affects chordpro as well, just pdf-s. Thanks. The new release solved the issue from opening post also.

In the full manual you have a table of supported directives, and with this update you introduced the pongo markup. That is part of the ChordPro v6 spec on chordpro.org, did you implement any of the new v6 directives as well? Or just the markup? I'm not yet planning using those, just curious. And if we happen to use an unsupported directive do you safely disregard if possible on render?
Just a quick finding, 3.8.2 did not resolve the {chorus} issue, {soc} displayed without indentation, and no repetition on {chorus}. I'm not missing the indentation, just mentioned to have a full picture.
Can you check version 3.8.3? That is the latest version that is available. I was testing repeated choruses with {soc} and it seemed to work in the files I was using. If it's still not working for you, please send me a file that demonstrates the issue to mike@zubersoft.com.

Thanks,
Mike
3.8.3 just appeared for me, checked the same file I've linked in the opening post amd the chorus is not displayed in the end on {chorus} tag.
Here's another one, where the {soc} indentation works, but does not end on {eoc}. In this file no repetition is expected as I just reference the chorus "Refrén" but don't use the {chorus} tag.
Looks like the issue only impacts the iPadOS version. I'll work on getting it fixed.

Thanks,
Mike
(06-09-2023, 03:19 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Looks like the issue only impacts the iPadOS version. I'll work on getting it fixed.

Thanks,
Mike

I can't see any of the chords on any of my files anymore. When I go into the "edit file" section  I can see them but no matter which settings I change on chord text colour or size they don't show up. I can only see the lyrics.
Have you updated to version 3.8.3? Is that what you see under Settings->About? I just submitted version 3.8.4 to fix issues with chord pro directives, but you should be seeing all your chords with version 3.8.3.

Mike
(06-09-2023, 03:19 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Looks like the issue only impacts the iPadOS version. I'll work on getting it fixed.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike! Just wanted to confirm 3.8.4 resolved all my known issues with ChordPro. Thanks!
I'm really glad to hear that! Thanks for following up, and I apologize again for the issues with the last few updates.

Mike