• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face gestures
That's not really enough information for me to go on to provide any kind of feedback. There are so many factors that can impact the detection, most importantly the distance between your face and the tablet, as well as whether you are facing the tablet directly or at an angle. I also need to know which gestures you are trying to trigger.

Mike
Hi Mike.

I'm struggling to put face gestures to a good use.

It's been 3-4 weeks since my last rehearsal where I thought I have found a working solution (tilting up and down with the head). But for some reason this didn't work anymore at today's rehearsal like last time. It's been at least one update of MS and also an iOS update on my iPad Pro.

Could something have changed the face gestures recognition somehow?

Currently the recognition for head tilting is screwed up. Tilting up isn't recognized while tilting down is recognized as tilting up.

Also I'm struggling with unintended page changing because of head movement recognized as a tilt or whatever.

So question to any pianists/keyboarder here: Which gestures and which settings work for you with the least amount of unintended page turning?

I also have some problems with intended page turns. So I often had to repeat head turning right so it was recognized as page turn signal.

Which isn't bad per se because that could eliminate unintended page turns a bit if you have to execute the face gesture twice in quick succession to pull the trigger (I think I suggested that at some other time already).

Strangely head turning left worked mostly without repeating (but with many more unintended triggers).

Maybe it's a device specific problem. I would love to hear more experiences with the face gestures from other users.

Mike, one feature request. It would be really helpful, especially for setting up and figuring out the face gestures, if there would be a touch action to directly open the face gestures config screen. It's tedious to have to click through all the settings screen for trying and changing up the settings and to test it on the sheet afterwards especially in a rehearsal situation where you have to be quick. (Preferably also a way to close from that screen back to the current sheet, but that's very secondary).
As far as i could find out, i need Android 6 to use this feature.
Since my tablet uses Android 6.0.1 i wonder, why i can't find the option in my settings menu?
It's not supported, or am i doing something wrong?
Maybe i just look at the wrong place for the settings?
As i understand, it should be listed above the MIDI settings, right?
With the next update, I'm going to drop the minimum required version to Android 6.0 for the face gesture feature. Having said that, when I did some testing on my Android 6.0 device, I had major problems with the face gesture functionality. Google's library seemed to be unable to properly use the information from the camera. So I cannot guarantee the face gesture functionality will work on Android 6.0, but I will allow users to try it to see if it works with their particular device.

BRX - I'm not sure what's going on with that. Is this on Windows, Android or iOS? It sounds like an issue with the camera rotation not being properly handled on that device. If you rotate the device into other orientations, does the face gesture functionality start working better? 

Mike
Mike, I can't say more than in the post above. 

But since I refrained from using head turns it doesn't matter to me any more. No need to pursue it if nobody else has a problem with it.

After some experimenting I settled on head up for paging forward and open mouth for backward and nothing else. 
These turn the pages quite reliable for me now with the least amunt of accidental page turning by unintended head moves or facial expressions.