• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change library screen - lengthen and sort?
I could do something like place it at the bottom left corner on top of the UI (with a solid background), but this will block part of the list... I'm not sure if users would like that. I'm certainly open to ideas, but I don't really want to remove anything to accomodate the label for this. 

Mike
Hmm, quite the quandary.

Personally, if the choice is no identifier, or one that obscures part of the list, then I'd choose no identifier...

How about this?
Put the library identifier in the field where setlist and collection identifiers appear, BUT replace the library identifier when a set list or collection is selected.

In addition, if you're going to go to the trouble to write code to only show the overflow menu option to change libraries when additional libraries exist, why not reuse that code to only put the library identifier there under the same conditions.

(I'm sure I could have said that better...  Hope it makes sense to you)
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
Looking at the UI I'm thinking that the search field in the main UI is unnecessarily long. Why not shorten that and use the space to put a library selection box which displays the current library name in front of it.
I think it's a reasonable place and you can combine an identifier and a quick option to select the library at startup or later (which may or may not be shown if one only uses a single library, but create a new one or duplicate could be also an item in the selection box). Just "thinking loud".
I disagree with BRX. That's imho not a good place. 1st: that would be in the search bar that can be switched on and off. The current library has nothing to do with search functions. 2nd: on a small display in portrait orientation the search field is not so much too long as it might sem on a big large display.

I think that it's not necessary to display the current library all the time on top of everything as users won't change it all the time. Maybe it's enough that we can look up the current library with one click (or maybe two), just not hidden do deeply in the settings. How about a new menu item in the "three dots menu" top right? It could be named "Switch library" in case only one library is configured and show the name of the current library in case more than one library is available. Clicking it should open the "switch library" window.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Well, I agree that it isn't necessary to be seen all the time and I'm all for other sensible suggestions.

But to defend my own. I have the filter/search open all the time and reckoned that's the case for most users. And filters and search bar is more or less about searching and selecting a song to display which IMO is very related to choosing the library. 

Also I seldom put more than 1 or 2 words into the search bar to find my songs, so I still consider the screen length search bar a bit oversized, even on smaller screens.

And for switching of the search/filter bar, as we agree, the identifier doesn't have to be seen all the time and is quickly to be switched on.

Again, just my 2 cents and I appreciate any other solution Mike comes up with.
My plan for the filters is to move it to a side panel so they can be dynamic (users can choose which filters to display and in which order), and work better across different devices. The current filter layout is easily accessible, but not configurable and is displayed poorly on smaller screens. 

I originally wanted to put some kind of indicator for the currently library under the new "Switch Library" entry I'm adding in the overflow menu, so if that's good enough, that's great. Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I greatly appreciate it.

Mike
I've also wanted to be able to see more of the available libraries in the list of libraries. Once versioning is implemented I'll have fewer libraries to choose from but I'll still want to have multiple libraries and I'd like to be able to switch between them quickly. I like the idea of having the current library shown under the 'switch library' option on the overflow menu.
Guy
(12-03-2023, 07:55 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: My plan for the filters is to move it to a side panel so they can be dynamic (users can choose which filters to display and in which order), and work better across different devices. The current filter layout is easily accessible, but not configurable and is displayed poorly on smaller screens. 

I originally wanted to put some kind of indicator for the currently library under the new "Switch Library" entry I'm adding in the overflow menu, so if that's good enough, that's great. Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I greatly appreciate it.

Mike

I have a larger screen so the current filter layout suits me fine, but I certainly have no objection to changes here.

I'm good with the library indicator in the overflow menu.  Thank you.
Hi Mike,
I appreciate you've been heavily occupied on more pressing tasks, but I was wondering if there was any kind of E.T.A. for creating easier access to the "switch library" screen as already discussed in this thread?
As well as some sorting options, as already requested.

Also, thankyou for the increased list length, it's helped quite a bit.

Regards,
Lawrie
I don't like giving estimates as too many things can impact them. Just know that it's on the list for either 3.9.0 or the next big update after that. Hopefully no more issues get in the way of me working on the updates.

Mike
Thanks Mike,
I'll try to curb my eagerness Big Grin