• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback needed from Surface Pro X users
After hearing some reports of performance and stability issues on ARM devices, I have been reconsidering trying to release an ARM64 version of MobileSheets. Currently, I'm only releasing an x64 version of MobileSheets, and this means that emulation needs to be used on ARM devices like the Surface Pro X, which significantly slows down the application. However, if I release an ARM64 version, it will cause the following impacts for Surface Pro X users:

1) The face gesture feature will be unavailable as I can't build ARM64 versions of the libraries
2) The metronome audio will have to be switched to using Microsoft's AudioGraph for playback, which may impact the accuracy of the metronome over long periods of time (I am still investigating this)
3) The audio player will no longer support adjusting the pitch or playback speed of files, and will use Microsoft's built-in MediaPlayer for playback

On the flip side, the application will run much smoother due to the significantly improved performance and should be overall more stable as emulation would no longer be required. I am also investigating potential third party audio libraries that might provide the missing functionality.

So I need to hear feedback from more Surface Pro X users as to whether they would care about giving up those features for better performance and stability. Another option is I can distribute an ARM64 version separately through FastSpring for those customers, but most users go through the Microsoft Store, so I don't really think that is the best option.

Thanks,
Mike
I would definitely be in favor of getting a native ARM version if possible. I should be receiving my new surface 11 within the next day or two, so if you are in need of a beta tester let me know! I actually don't have many gigs this summer so I am just transitioning over to using a tablet so if it's a bit buggy it doesn't really matter for the next month or so.

Those features you mentioned are not vitally important to me as I really just need it to be a sheet music reader and do not need any of that other functionality.
Joe Halko
Oboe/English horn
Microsoft Surface 11
Thank you for the feedback Joe. I'm not sure if there just aren't that many Surface Pro X users, or if they just don't happen to visit the forums. In either case, I am leaning toward providing a native ARM version, but I'm really hoping that I don't receive a lot of emails from upset users afterward asking about the features that they can no longer access.

Mike
(06-18-2024, 07:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Thank you for the feedback Joe. I'm not sure if there just aren't that many Surface Pro X users, or if they just don't happen to visit the forums. In either case, I am leaning toward providing a native ARM version, but I'm really hoping that I don't receive a lot of emails from upset users afterward asking about the features that they can no longer access.

Mike

Yeah...but I imagine you will get complaints no matter WHAT you do. I say go for it.

However, I have been using MobileSheets with my new Surface Pro 11.... and it works flawlessly. Not a hint of stuttering or hesitation. As much as I hate the Win11 UI, they really did a nice job with the emulation layer for ARM.
Joe Halko
Oboe/English horn
Microsoft Surface 11
Well I'm glad to hear that at least. I definitely put forth a lot of effort to optimize things so the app would at least run as smoothly as possible through the ARM emulation.

Mike
Most likely I will purchase a Surface pro X at some point. I would prefer an ARM 64 version and not have 

1) The face gesture feature will be unavailable as I can't build ARM64 versions of the libraries
2) The metronome audio will have to be switched to using Microsoft's AudioGraph for playback, which may impact the accuracy of the metronome over long periods of time (I am still investigating this)
3) The audio player will no longer support adjusting the pitch or playback speed of files, and will use Microsoft's built-in MediaPlayer for playback.
Okay, thanks for the feedback, I'll probably move forward with this then and see what kind of responses I get.

Mike
I, for one, would gladly welcome a native ARM64 build. For what it's worth, I don't use any of the three features you mentioned that could be be disrupted, and I am highly unlikely to ever need them in the future.
I purchased MobileSheets and a Surface Pro 11 today. So not much experience yet using the application, but great so far. I'll follow up on a week or two.