• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing annotations when modifying pages
I've got all my bowings in a particular piece.

Now that I've got time between rehearsals, I'm sorting a few things out, including hiding pages where we're making a cut. My annotations (bowings) have now gone!

At this point, I'm assuming they're gone for good and I have to redo them. Is there any way to maintain annotations when pages are edited please?
If you change the page order and remove pages, then yes, the annotations are deleted, as otherwise it would cause a conflict, as the page numbers are not relative to the PDF, they are relative to the page order, and so if you deleted page 3, what was previously page 4 is now page 3 in the page order, for example, so the annotations that were on page 3 are deleted.

You can get your annotations back - just go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Automatic Database Backup and revert the database back to the point before you made changes. However, this will undo any change you made since then, so make that decision carefully.

To persist annotations while removing pages, you have to embed them in the PDF itself first. You can do this in the annotations editor by tapping the three dots at the top right and then "Embed annotations". If you embed annotations, you can still edit those if you enable "Allow editing of embedded PDF annotations" in the annotation editor settings, but you will lose access to some functionality with those annotations, as the PDF specification does not support all of the same options that MobileSheets does, and text annotations are converted to images (to avoid corruption problems with the PDF library).

Mike
OK, so I understand why now. Can I make a couple of suggestions:

1) Add a warning when amending page order that anotations are about to be deleted?
2) Is it not able to store relative to the actual page rather than the relative page? So if we have a long repeat and I repeat the page, I'd like it to keep the bowing rather than having to put the same bowing in twice. If it could do that but still allow changes (bowing changes during the rehearsal process, etc), ie not embedding into the PDM, that'd be good.
1) That's certainly a reasonable request, and I should do that, along with give the user an option to embed the annotations at that point in time.
2) Not if I want to be able to support having different annotations on different instances of the same page. If they were tied to the PDF page, and you duplicated a page multiple times, if the annotations were tied to the PDF page number, you would see the same annotations on each page instance and there would be no way to have different annotations on each instance of that page. 

Mike