• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion: Stock layers
Lightbulb 
I'm more or less settling down on some standard layers that I add to all my pieces when I'm playing:
- Bowing (for recording bowing)
- Geography etc (highlighting repeats, scrubbing out first time bars, arrow forward to indicate tempo pushing on, etc)
- Corrections (Misprints, or musical changes to suit a cut, etc)
- Rehearsal (Stuff that I can quickly note in rehearsal, then later copy neater into one of the above)

Similarly, I'm working out what my layers will be when conducting:
- Beats in a bar (we have some that change from one bar to the next, and it saves me thinking  Smile )
- Geography (as above)
- Cues (where I need to glare at a particular player/section)

[Image: Stock-layers.png]

It'd be nice if there was a library of stock layers that I could add to a piece with a couple of clicks. So, this is a violin piece...click: That's the violin layers added.

It'd be even nicer if it could then set preferences for colours and line widths based on layers. So bowing marks are black or very dark blue, geography is red, and so on.

Would that be possible, or am I asking something unreasonable?
It's certainly possible, but I would have to carve out time for it at some point, so it will be helpful if more users chime in as to whether they would get any benefits from this. I imagine this would kind of be like a "layer template" where it automatically goes through and creates layers on all the pages with the saved names. Having different tool settings per layer is definitely not something I've planned for though. That would definitely introduce a lot of complexity with managing the current tool settings, as every time you update any tool setting it would have to write out those settings to store them for the current layer. If every song/piece in the entire library has different layers that could all have different tool settings, that would just start to become a mess. So I'd rather support some way of saving all current tool settings out to a file, and there could be a dropdown in the favorites window where you can pick from one of those saved files (kind of like how saved filters currently work on the library screen), and it would load all the saved settings into all the tools. So you could just switch the current settings whenever you switch layers.

Mike