• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup timeout issue
Trivial error message report:

I'm reporting this here even though my guess is that it's OS-independent, but it's happened for me on Windows, so ...

I've been happily backing up my library for a couple of weeks now.  This evening it failed -- and without any diagnostic.  What happened was that I started a backup to my Google Drive, and the dialog came up to report the backup status.  However, it never moved off of 0% but showed the activity icon.  After a few minutes of silence it failed with the message "Failed to upload ... to Google Drive."  No reason given.

It took me a while to figure out that it had simply timed out.  This isn't entirely surprising since for the past week the somewhat misnamed Brightspeed has been providing me with decreasing connectivity although it's so-called technical support insists that I'm getting 40 Mbps.  A technician will appear in the fullness of time to investigate this.  However, ...

This evening I'm gifted with a ping of 228 ms, a download of 4.45 Mbps, and an upload of 0.30 Mbps.  So it's hardly Mobilesheets' fault that it decided to bail out of that mess.

But it might be advantageous to add "timed out" to the diagnostic message at some point in such circumstances.  I did manage to get the backup over to my Google drive by first backing it up on my local Windows drive and then copying it up to the Google drive -- but it took a while.  Rolleyes
------------------
Gary H. Merrill