• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 11 Keeps losing Connection
Hi Rudy, 
I have the default 'all parts' midi template. I have never changed it from the default. 

The USB cable (no hub) works fully on android and a very very old ipad. Windows works at page level only. So I am convinced this is a windows issue. 

There are 2 channels for receive and 2 for transmit. Which 2 are you using please? 

- Andy
It's hard to say/compare, they are named differently on my pc. (see image attached)
I also only have one input device for the Genos keyboard... (Had not noticed that before ....) 

You can ignore the UM ONE connections in the image, that is a Roland USB to MIDI conversion cable that I use to connect to my Roland PK6 footpedal which does not have an USB connector.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Rudy, 
I have gone through a matrix of single channel and still get "link request failed", so I think this is a bug. 
PS You might remember from PSR that I had forscore working on Tyros - as soon as I moved to Genos 2 nothing worked and you recommended that I change to MS. : )
I tried debugging this morning, but the two utilities that I used would not link to the same channel that MS was using. 
Regards
- Andy
Ah, ok you are that Andy  Smile. I do remember that. I had not made the link. Pity the PSR tutorial forum is closed now ....

Very strange that it is not working for you and that it is for me ??? Also strange you have 2 MIDI input devices and I only have one ??? Wondering if that is part of the issue ??

Maybe installing the Yamaha driver would change something ??? Probably not, but one never knows ....
I have been thinking a bit more about this ....

Andy , below is a quote from what you posted on the psrtutorial forum a couple of months ago, while you were trying to get things working on your i-Pad with a trial version of MobileSheets at the time.

Start of quote - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi,

Thanks for the help and advice. Thanks for the kind thoughts - 2 more surgeries to follow. Anyway, everyone seemed to be very positive about Mobilesheets.

I looked at MobileSheets Lite and managed to get a song to select a registration over WiFi.
I tried to add some buttons to the score for different midi commands and then it broke  :-\

What have I done?
    I reinstalled MobileSheets Lite on the iPad
    On Genos, I checked that the Midi Template - All Parts was selected

On Mobile Sheets
  Midi Settings
    Set Midi Device Genos (3rd option down)
  Click WiFi and set to Genos IP - 192.xxx.xx.xxx as shown in the Genos WiFi Detail
The Port is preset to 5004 (worked okay on the first day)

Select sheet music
Click pen icon: 4th Icon along from left at the top
Click Midi
Click ChainLink
Select a registration on the Genos
Link Request Failed

I have tried configuring the Midi Connection in the WiFi menu on MobileSheets - but to no effect
      Ticked only Input Port,  Ticked only Output Port, Ticked both ports

Reinstalled, restarted Genos. Any advice would really be appreciated.

- Andy
End of quote - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It seems there were issues there/then also with the MIDI connection, even when on an iPad then and when using wifi in stead of usb to connect to your Genos ....
Also it is not quite clear to me if you currently (with windows) still have issues with the linking between regfiles on Genos and songs in MS, or that the issues limit themselves to buttons now ?
Add to that the fact that you wrote on the PSR forum that you had a working connection between forescore and your Tyros, that would not work with your Genos 2. You wrote at the time that you read about changes that Yamaha would have made in MIDI with Genos 2, I have not seen any such reports of that myself though ... (apart from the bluetooth thing)

All of the above makes me wonder if there is not an issue somewhere with your Genos ??? 
You would not have a friend with a PSR SX keyboard to try with would you? Or a friendly dealer that would allow you test things with one of their Genosses in the shop ???

A couple of things you could try in the meantime ...
Install the windows driver for Genos 2 on your PC
Perform a factory reset of your Genos.
Install the latest firmware on your Genos if you have not already done so...

Rudy
Hi Rudy

Thanks for the help. Wrt the above quoted post, I am not sure that I was using smart buttons back then - also that was wifi rather than USB - I think. 

I also spoke to Yamaha as I have spent days on this - including most of today. 

Yamaha said: 
  • You cannot use bluetooth and avoid wi-fi for now. 
  • There are two main channels from Windows to Genos 2 - audio and midi.  That explains why I can still play midi from the PC
  • Do not use the Yamaha USB driver as it will cause issues. You can try the Steinberg if the action plan doesn't work.
  •      I never actually got the USB to install anyway (Error 25001), which Yamaha were not surprised at. 
  • Genos 2 is fine as the port either works or it doesn't. They said no point trying another one as my ports are working. I also explained tried another PC, cables, etc. 
  • Factory reset only resets the split point, equalisation, etc. but I had done that both (keyboard and utility) ways. 
  • Connected via USB-A only and not to use USB-C (even though we know that works on Android) - I have 6 USBA-USBB and tried them all. 
  • You can also connect via a midi cable, though I explained this had the same problem, so will stick with the USB-A

Windows - probably non-issues but it did sort out the Device Manager driver warning and "Bluetooth and devices" connection issue. See below:
  • There was a driver problem under Settings > bluetooth and devices > devices:  "Device Error"
  •     There was a corresponding problem in Device Manager under Sound,  Video and Game Controllers
  •     There were 2 digital keyboards - one was fine, but the other had a warning triangle
  • Windows 11 has a max of 9 midi devices in the registry - and it can get upset if you plug something else in (Tyros, Genos 2 etc) 
  •      All of mine were the same and so I manually deleted midi/aux/etc 2 through 8
  • Did a Windows and Genos 2 restart

After the Restarts
The registry was reset back to what it was before.....hmmm...but: 
  • The keyboard connects without the above bluetooth/device error. 
  • There is only one digital keyboard in the Device Manager

Disabled AV, installed the Steinberg driver, but that made no difference to the status quo. 

MS Windows works at page level (which Yamaha says proved the midi connection and G2 is ok) but still not the Windows smart buttons

Thanks again for your help. 
- Andy
Does anyone have this working on a Genos 2 now please?
- Andy
Hi Andy

Without the psrtutorial website, information is now more difficult to get to, but I did see that a new Genos 2 firmware update (V1.10) was released by Yamaha a couple of days ago.
see the change log of all G2 updates below.

Nothing special was changed this time, but I did notice that there was a MIDI issue fixed in firmware 1.02 when Genos 2 is connected to a computer. If your Genos 2 is still running V1.01 the issue you are having may be related to that.

Updating G2 to V1.10 probably can't hurt either...

Rudy

V1.04 to V1.10
Changed the default setting value of the Auto Power Off function from 30 min to 15 min.
Removed the function to automatically set the time via wireless LAN.
V1.02 to V1.04
Fixed a problem in which Split Points were not reproduced correctly when loading a Registration Memory Bank file that included Split Points set to lower than C1 or higher than C6.
Fixed a problem in which loading a Registration Memory Bank file while playing an Audio Style caused delay in the playback.
Fixed other minor problems.
V1.01 to V1.02
Fixed a problem in which the Kbd Harmony/Arpeggio Type could not be read correctly when loading a Registration Memory Bank file of the Genos.
User Style can now be selected when editing the "Style" message in the Chord part on the display, called up by [MIDI Multi Recording] -> [Step Edit].
You can now assign "Dynamics Control" to pedals on the Assignable display.
Fixed a problem which the MIDI port name and number of MIDI ports may be incorrect when connected to a computer.
Hi Rudy, 
Thanks for the pointer to the firmware upgrade. Smart buttons are still not working. I am fairly sure this is a bug with the link code.
- Andy
Andy - there was indeed a bug. There was a small difference in code between the files tab and the smart button dialog. I sent the button request message on the same port that I received the system exclusive message on. This unfortunately doesn't seem to work as expected, because then I only receive some of the data I'm expecting. I've updated the code to send the system exclusive out on all ports (which is what the files tab does), and this resolved the problem. I'm also updating Android to not filter on port when sending this message, as the code on Android does this both on the Files tab and the smart button dialog, so it's surprising that it works without issue on Android.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike, Any thoughts when you might get this done please.
Thanks
- Andy
The changes are all done - I'm just trying to finish the fixes that are needed for the fixed page size issues as well as some minor fixes to chord pro functionality (before having to do more in depth work to fix the abc and chord grid issues). I'm just getting bogged down by customer support requests.

Mike
Thanks for letting me know. 
- Andy