• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Page edit / snipping issues
Hi,

I've been having some problems with page editing. Currently version 3.9.0 - Windows 11 on Surface Pro 9. Crash reports are on.

Basically I've been attempting to copy snippets from one page to another, or to a new inserted blank page to workaround some fiendish page turns.

First:

Might be the behaviour is different to what I expected
  • I created a duplicate of one of the pages, lets say page 6, using the rearrange pages feature.
  • I then used the snipping tool to cut the bottom section of the duplicate page 6 and move it to the top, and then copy the top section of page 7, and paste it to the bottom of the duplicate page 6.

This seemed to work ok, however when checking through the snipping changes had affected the original page 6 as well as the duplicate obscuring the notation at the top of that page as well.

Second:

After starting from scratch with a clean import file as the snip changes could not be rolled back, this time:
  • I inserted a blank page after page 6.
  • I then used snip to copy/paste the bottom of page 6 and top of page 7 to the new page '6a'. No cutting involved.
  • Once finished, flipping back to another page the grey screen with 'thinking wheel' animation came up.
  • I left it for about ten minutes with no change. After that tried flipping back and forth for a few pages.
  • The others were fine, but 6a still showed the thinking wheel, and then the application crashed.

After the crash the new page was still there, but very very blank... I had a quick third attempt, but again when scrolling pages the app either crashes when I get to the new page, or reverts to the blank insert.

Any ideas?
Why are you cutting and pasting?
Having duplicated the page, all you have to do is crop each page to hide the bits you are not interested in

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(10-02-2024, 10:03 PM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Why are you cutting and pasting?
Having duplicated the page, all you have to do is crop each page to hide the bits you are not interested in

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

The point is to avoid the page turn between a specific sequence of bars. I need to be scanning a number of bars ahead of the play in these passages, but still be able to see the last few bars of the trailing page. In printed music these bars would be on facing pages so a little awkward sometimes, but not really a problem. Even with a pedal page turner these passages will exceed my rather limited short term photographic memory capacity.

A few simple copy/pastes solves the problem.

I've just done this in a separate PDF editor. To be able to do such things easily in MobileSheets would be great and make using the tablets over increasingly dilapidated hard copy sheet music a simpler process. The tools look to be there, but something in the app/system doesn't like doing it.
Please be aware that duplicating a page in the page order does not actually modify the PDF (which is intentional). So if you have 1-6,6-7, for example, and you modify the first instance of page 6, that's also going to modify the second instance of page 6, because the undelrying PDF itself is being modified when you use snipping tool in the annotation editor (the images have to be saved in the PDF as it would cause massive bloat to try storing them in the database itself). So what you have to do is, on the rearrange pages screen, tap the three dots at the top right and tap "Update PDF with Current Page Order". That will modify the PDF so that it just becomes pages 1-8, and then you can use the snipping tool to modify pages as needed.

As far as the crashes it sounds like the PDF may have been corrupted during the modifications somehow. I would replace the file with the original, follow the above steps, then try using the snipping tool again. Hopefully that will all go smoothly for you, but let me know if it does not.

Mike