• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChordGrid, start_of_verse - St. Louis Blues
Follow-up of "Chord grid size" https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...12113.html
Comparing the output of MobileSheets 3.9.3 on Win10 with PDFs created with Sciurius' ChordPro reference implementation.

In MobileSheets the chords in the grid are too small

This test raised additional questions: the PDFs of ChordPro 6.050 and 6.060 are different

.pdf   StLouisBlues_ChordPro-6.050_029.pdf (Size: 156.91 KB / Downloads: 3)
.pdf   StLouisBlues_ChordPro-6.060.pdf (Size: 412.01 KB / Downloads: 4)

Labels specified with "start_of_verse" are in MobileSheets above the respective verse section, in ChordPro 6.050 they were left of the verse, in ChordPro 6.060 they disappeared

Attached Files
.pro   StLouisBlues.pro (Size: 1.89 KB / Downloads: 2)
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

For reference, what value did you select for grid size in the text display settings? That controls the size of the chords in the grid.

Thanks,
Mike
also for this example: the PDF from ChordPro 6.060 without user config

Attached Files
.pdf   StLouisBlues_ChordPro-6.060_default.pdf (Size: 301.87 KB / Downloads: 1)
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

@Mike:
newly imported, with Auto-Size Font = TRUE I get
Lyric Size: 28
ChordSize: 28
Grid Size: 13

As the chords in the grid are much too small imho I set them to 28, the same size as the chords above the lyrics
Now the grid doesn't fit on the page anymore, half of the last measure is cut off. There's nothing important there in that case, but who knows. The texts in the first column don't fit anymore as this column didn't grow as much as the measure column (maybe).
Pushing "Text Display Settings - Auto-Size Font" to go back to the previous state doesn't work.

I reduce the font sizes one by one to make the score fit on one page and end up with
Lyric Size: 18
ChordSize: 18
Grid Size: 18
Pretty good so far. That the PDF created with ChordPro 6.050 can use notably bigger fonts is caused by the issue that the start_of_verse statements are using extra lines.
I have to report the issue that ChordPro 6.060 doesn't show the verse labels to Sciurius (or maybe he has intentionally changed something).

OT question.

Is it intentional that the C7 in the second line of the A part starts about the "hate" and not about the "I" where the chord changes (at least in all the vocal versions I know).
I thought in chordpro the chord symbol is always above the word where the change is.
Technically chords are shown above the first character of the closing bracket ]. From the musical point of view they shall be above the syllable at the beat where the chord changes.
You're right, well-known vocal versions e.g. Ella & Louis change chord on the word I. But it also works with "had" on the 1, you can even omit "I", try it.

(10-06-2024, 08:20 AM)itsme Wrote: in ChordPro 6.060 they disappeared
You did get a lot of warnings similar to:

"StLouisBlues.pro", line 21, Garbage in start_of_verse: <span color="blue" weight="bold">A</span> (ignored)

If you have content that look like properties (e.g. color="blue") you must use label= e.g.

{start_of_verse: label='<span color="blue" weight="bold">A</span>'}
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(10-07-2024, 07:37 AM)itsme Wrote: Technically chords are shown above the first character of the closing bracket ].
It's not just technically, it's the way it works. ChordPro does not have an opinion on where the chords should be placed.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
@Sciurius: thanks for chiming in
... almost ...

{start_of_verse: label='<span color="blue" weight="bold">B</span>'}
works in both 6.050 and in 6.060

{start_of_verse: label='<span color="blue" weight="bold">B'</span>'}
is ignored in both 6.060 and 6.050

{start_of_verse: label='<span color="blue" weight="bold">B''</span>'}
displayed with a B in 6.050 and as B'' in 6.060 instead of B'

is there an intended way to escape the single quote to have it displayed as a normal character?

@Mike:
label= seems to be unknown for MobileSheets

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pro   StLouisBlues.pro (Size: 1.89 KB / Downloads: 0)

Correct - I don't believe that was in the ChordPro documentation when I was first setting up the chord grid code. So it's another thing I'll have to account for.

Mike
(10-09-2024, 05:42 AM)itsme Wrote: is there an intended way to escape the single quote to have it displayed as a normal character?

You can put a backslash in front of it:

{start_of_verse: label='<span color="blue" weight="bold">B\'</span>'}

Note that this will yield B’ (a curly quote). If you really want a prime symbol, use

{start_of_verse: label='<span color="blue" weight="bold">B\u2032</span>'}

(This actually should go to the ChordPro forum, I think)
Johan
(10-09-2024, 06:01 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Correct - I don't believe that was in the ChordPro documentation when I was first setting up the chord grid code. So it's another thing I'll have to account for.

Yes, ChordPro is evolving too.

Directives will gradually start accepting properties next to / instead of fixed parameter strings since the latter are too limited.

To maintain compatibility, ChordPro looks for the presence of the pattern \w+=['"] in the params. E.g.

{start_of_verse This is verse 1}             ← parameter string
{start_of_verse label="This is verse 1"}        ← property

itsme just encountered a case where the naive detection fails.
Johan
@Sciurius: Thanks a lot. Copy/paste'ing the B’ (with the curly quote) from your previous post also works, just like b\' - it's not easy to see the difference. 
I don't insist to see the prime symbol, I just prefer using ASCII characters - I rather lose typographical correctness and gain the advantage that it looks the same no matter if UTF8 or ISO8859-1 / Windows characterset is used.

@Mike: ChordPro is permanently improving. Not easy to keep track.
https://groups.io/g/ChordPro/topic/v6_06.../108857060
For now I'll keep the released ChordPro 6.060 for comparing MobileSheets' new ChordPro features