• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidying Up
As part of my initial load of MobileSheets, I imported my full set of songs. 

I realise now that I've brought in too much rubbish which I don't want to sort through so I want to bulk delete. I have got all my current set lists sorted, and also associated the collection with the three bands I play with but there are some I may have missed.

What I'd really like in the Companion is that the Set List is included in the song filter - at least the assigned and unassigned setting (I appreciate that some people might have many set lists but any song I have is in a maximum of 3 Setlists). With an Unassigned filter, I can be sure I am not tidying up songs I definitely using.

It would also be really helpful if the Song List could optionally look like Windows Explorer with a Preview as when I am trying to clean up multiple versions as I play both bass and guitar. I used the Custom Group to assign whether it was bass or guitar tab, but with different keys for different bands I can end up with 6 or 8 tabs to try and figure out which are the right ones (especially as some are identical across bands but I've ended up with duplicates and mistakes). The preview in the Editor screen is too small to read.
Setlists can't currently be used as filters, as songs don't track which setlists they are a part of, so I would have to make structural design changes to easily support that (without implementing a much slower approach to filtering songs based on setlist). This is something I probably will do when time allows.

I'm not opposed to loading and rendering the currently selected song in a separate pane. That wouldn't be too difficult to implement, and you could then just click through the list as needed to identify the songs. This is something I've wanted to add as an option in the tablet app as well (although there I want a summary of fields and data as well). The pane would be hidden and disabled by default, but could be enabled through a setting in one of the dropdowns.

Mike
Just a quick reminder: ALWAYS make a backup before making major changes to the library - just in case you get it wrong and also as something you could fall back to in the future. I find it easiest to do with the companion - and it also means your backup is on a different device.

Songs can be in more than one collection so you create create a collection of songs that you want to remove. When you are happy that you have it as you want, use that collection in the filter to delete songs.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(10-14-2024, 03:53 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Setlists can't currently be used as filters, as songs don't track which setlists they are a part of, so I would have to make structural design changes to easily support that (without implementing a much slower approach to filtering songs based on setlist). This is something I probably will do when time allows.

I'm not opposed to loading and rendering the currently selected song in a separate pane. That wouldn't be too difficult to implement, and you could then just click through the list as needed to identify the songs. This is something I've wanted to add as an option in the tablet app as well (although there I want a summary of fields and data as well). The pane would be hidden and disabled by default, but could be enabled through a setting in one of the dropdowns.

Mike

Thanks. I worked around by using the rating on all my songs in set lists as that was an easy click. and I hadn't used ratings for anything.

Then for the unassigned songs, in Companion, on my PC opening in external viewer (Chrome) was nice and quick and I just let it open tabs then killed the lot every now and then so I was able to sort out the wheat from the chaff pretty quickly.

I'm slightly surprised that the query for set lists is different from collections (being an old SQL programmer) as the song view presents the set lists so the basic query exists already but not knowing the database I'll believe you!

I got a bit confused with the backup at first, the final database update was extremely slow (~1000 songs) and I hadn't grasped that the two way update didn't delete songs, but now it has dawned I need to do a one way transfer, all is good. Generally, I've been impressed with how well OneDrive works with MobileSheets, I've got a fast connection so anything I do on the PC arrives on my tablet almost instantly. Google Drive seemed a lot slower and I abandoned using Drive as my backup location as it was a song every few seconds.

Anyway, I've got set up for playlists for 4 different bands and 3 instruments (guitar, bass and ukulele) so am ready to go!