• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion Install Broken (4.07?-4.08?)
Hi Mike,
I could use a little help here mate.

I was doing some testing to confirm some details for another post RE Companion and got an updater message when I ran the app.
So, OK, run the update - failure - complaining about an existing installation and having to uninstall it...  OK, of course there is, the updater ran from it..?

Ran my existing version (4.07?), did my test, made my post, then tried the install again.  No go.  Did this a few times and still no joy.

Manually downloaded the new version from your website - same error

So I thought, OK, do the uninstall.  Rebooted, and ran the newly downloaded installer - failed because of an existing installation AARRGGHH.

Right, system restore is supposed to be my friend.  Everything looked good until I tried to run the restored version (4.07?) - now it tells me I need to download and install the .NET desktop runtime and gives me a button.  I click the button and nothing...

Now I'm stuck.  I don't know where to get the .NET desktop installer, don't know which version anyway...
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X, and play low brass: mainly 'Bone and Tuba
Might have a clue...  Even though it ran fine before I uninstalled it, it appears that the .NET runtime expected by the Companion is Version 8.0.8
The installed version on my PC is 8.0.10.  I'm aware this shouldn't matter but somehow something got broken and now it seems to.

Using control panel I did a repair on the .NET installation but it didn't help.
I'm not sure how you got into that state, but you may need to remove any trace of the installation. Please open regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, click Edit->Find, search for "Companion" and if the companion app is still installed, you should see an entry. If so, you can delete it, then run the MobileSheets installer again (https://www.zubersoft.download/MobileShe...panion.exe)

Hopefully that will put things back into a good state.

Mike
I uploaded a version 4.0.9 so it would be helpful to know if that version installers for you without issue.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Checked the registry, there were 2 hashed keys that contained similar contents mentioning MobileSheets Companion in the Uninstall key.
Not being sure what to do I tried to simply install the new version and still got the error.

So, Uninstalled from control panel and both the hashed keys disappeared - good - try again, still the same error.

Should I do a system restore and manually delete one of the hashed keys and then try to install over the top?

I can't find a Zubersoft or MobileSheets or Companion subdirectory under "Program Files" so I assume the uninstall correctly removed everything that was there.

Oh yes, I disabled my AV software while doing all this.
Finally got a system restore to work.  I now have a functional V4.0.7 install, and it can stay like that for a couple of days.  Once I'm happy my system is running properly again I'll have another go at an update.
A few users seem to be encountering this, and I'm still trying to figure out the cause, or a workaround. The companion app installer also has to install two dependencies:

Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime version 8.0.8
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - 14.40.33810

It's possible that if there is a conflict with either of those with what is on the machine, that it could cause an installation failure. 

Mike
(10-16-2024, 04:55 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: A few users seem to be encountering this, and I'm still trying to figure out the cause, or a workaround. The companion app installer also has to install two dependencies:

Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime version 8.0.8
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - 14.40.33810

It's possible that if there is a conflict with either of those with what is on the machine, that it could cause an installation failure. 

Mike

Hi Mike,
FYI, my PC (Win11 Home - purchased new in June 2024) has:
Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime - 6.0.35 (x64) version 6.0.35.34113
Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime - 8.0.10 (x64) version 8.0.10.34118
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - 14.40.33816 version 14.40.33816.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x86) - 14.40.33816 version 14.40.33816.0

I assume that having both 6.0.35 AND 8.0.10 of the Desktop Runtime shouldn't be an issue as I seem to recall that applications check and use versions as required and it isn't unusual for multiple versions to coexist.

Given that my versions of these products are different (mostly more recent to your stated requirements) I think I might leave updating the Companion again until you advise it should be OK

Lawrie
I have updated the installer to correctly ignore the visual C++ runtime if it's already installed. Please try downloading the installer again (https://www.zubersoft.download/MobileShe...panion.exe) and it should install faster and without an error.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
looks like we have a winner.  Thanks mate!

There was an alert that I've seen before about something running (adb?).  I selected the default option to close and attempt to restart it and all was fine.

As an aside, I note this installer is a lot smaller than previous versions.  57kB instead of around 80+kB
Glad to hear that! The visual C++ runtime now is no longer packaged with the installer - it's dynamically downloaded and run if needed. This keeps the installer smaller, as the runtimes only have to be installed once. That's why the installer is smaller now.

As far as adb, that should only occur if you are connecting over USB, as it can be left running in the background waiting for a USB connection.

Mike
(10-16-2024, 10:46 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Glad to hear that! The visual C++ runtime now is no longer packaged with the installer - it's dynamically downloaded and run if needed. This keeps the installer smaller, as the runtimes only have to be installed once. That's why the installer is smaller now.

As far as adb, that should only occur if you are connecting over USB, as it can be left running in the background waiting for a USB connection.

Mike

Ahh, yes and yes.  Thanks Mike.