• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Page going blank and not returning
(05-19-2015, 08:57 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: I do wonder if this problem is not more a fault with the tablet's architecture than directly with MSP? I don't see complaints from owners of Samsung or other high-end tablets,

I have this very same problem on my Samsung N8010 (10.1" Galaxy Note 2). With 1.0.6 it only happens when the pedal connects/disconnects, and the screen gets back to normal within a fraction of a second. With 1.0.8 it happens all of the time, e.g. when loading a ChoPro song, and the screen stays black until I longpress the center of the screen.

I understand that Mike has already addressed the pedal connect/disconnect issues.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
It is a Sum-Vision Cyclone Voyager II running Android 4.2. Other than all the 'general' apps that come with most tablets, MS is the only 'bought in' app running on the tablet.

I understand the comment about cheap tablets from Graeme, however, this tablet has been working fine for over a year on the original version, and was generally OK in the early versions of MS Pro.

Just running a test now and one of the songs that went to the 'load' screen has been on the tablet for about 3 minutes and has just jumped back to the song selection list.
(05-19-2015, 05:42 PM)gerryfitz Wrote: Just running a test now and one of the songs that went to the 'load' screen has been on the tablet for about 3 minutes and has just jumped back to the song selection list.

Yes, that's one of the issues that make 1.0.8 pretty unusable.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Just to say, I wasn't actually blaming the cheaper tablets, merely wondering if there might be some sort of connection there? I don't doubt the problem exists for some users, but I have yet to see it here.

Obviously, the less something costs, there has to be some sort of saving in manufacturing costs somewhere along the line - less screen resolution, smaller memory, etc. - and I was wondering if there were some more subtle differences that could result in this problem.

Mike's comment about the number of pages being cached might also have something to do with the problem - AIR, earlier versions cached only half the number of pages, thus tying up less memory. I wonder if it is possible to define the number of cached pages through the settings menu? This might well solve the problem.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Further discoveries from testing:

I have a foot pedal that connects via micro USB.

I decided to try that on the MS Pro version on one of the songs that failed last night.

The song loaded, I waited 5 minutes and nothing had happened. (The size of the pdf on this song is 17kb)

I then attached the pedal.

On the first press it went to the 'blank - load' screen for several seconds and seemed to hang, I picked up the tablet and in doing so inadvertently inverted it, so it changed from portrait to landscape, which then brought the page back into view.

After that, the foot pedal seemed to work fine and the page didn't disappear.

However on removing the foot pedal connection it again goes to the blank-load screen, then changing orientation brought the page back up.

Hope all this helps !!!!!
Another discovery.

Take out the pedal connector, then re-insert it, it won't work.

Change the page orientation, it goes blank load, then back to portrait and the pedal starts working.

However, trying to replicate that, it does nothing, pedal will not work.

I shut down the MS Pro app, using my task killer app, restart MS Pro and it works on the pedal again.

(I think I am confusing myself more and more now)
Just downloaded update 1.0.9, many thanks for quick work.

Just off out to play a gig, so fingers very firmly crossed !!
gerryfitz,

Based upon your description, I'm seriously concerned. It sounds like the pedal may be causing serious problems. I was going to set up my BiliPRO USB pedal to do some testing, but it appears it may have been lost when I moved. What kind of pedal are you currently using? Perhaps I can buy it for testing to see if I can replicate this issue.

Thanks,
Mike
Airturn Bluetooth BT-105.

The 'mechanical' pedal is one I picked up from EBay and is connected via a micro USB.

(one of these) ;- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Game-Foot-...3cd7dedbfe
Are you experiencing problems with the BT-105 connected, or just the mechanical one? I test with the BT-105 all the time, so I'm hoping that's not the case...
Upgrade to 1.0.9.

Load a song (ChoPro): Screen goes blank and doesn't return.
Load a song (PDF): Screen goes blank and doesn't return.
Rotate the tablet: No effect.
MSPro feels extremely sluggish, like it is doing someting in the background.
After a while it returns -- could it be that it has been spending all the time trying to load the first song?

Force stop + Clear cache. Now it can load a PDF, but loading a ChoPro file makes it behave like above.

Force stop + Clear cache. Load PDF in song view.
Switch on the (BT) pedal (Firefly): Screen goes blank and doesn't return.
Rotate the tablet: Screen comes back.
Switch off the (BT) pedal (Firefly): Screen goes blank and doesn't return.

Connect pedal (Firefly) via USB: Screen goes blank and doesn't return.
Switch the pedal on/off: no problems.
Disconnect pedal (Firefly) via USB: Screen goes blank and doesn't return.

Connect/disconnect an arbitrary USB device (keyboard, mouse): Screen goes blank etc..
Connect/disconnect USB memory stick: No problems.

There's still something very, very wrong...
Johan
Is anyone else experiencing that behavior? I can't replicate that on my Nexus 10 no matter what I try to do... Perhaps I need to test with the same files you are using Johan? I've tried about 20 different chord pro and PDF files, and they've all worked without any issue.
I've tested on 6 tablets now, and they all behave fine with PDF and chord pro files. I've also tried connecting/disconnecting a mouse use a USB OTG cable, and that causes no issues. I'm really stumped here on why you would see that behavior.
Would it be sufficient to make a MSPro backup and send it to you?
It may be possible that somehow I got something corrupted.
Johan
That would be wonderful. I really want to figure this out. Thank you for the help Johan. I wanted to mention that I do have one tablet running 4.4.2 (my HP Slate 21), so I don't think there would be any sort of OS issue here, but you are using a custom ROM, so I hope that isn't potentially involved.