• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
splitting large PDF files
(01-27-2019, 08:40 PM)Or why not with a CSV file containing the pdf file source, for instance using: Wrote: "song1 ; page 25 ; RealBook2.pdf"

That's a long standing request of mine. It should be on Mike's ever growing to-do list.
@Scale-N: PDFSam mentioned above also allows merging several PDF files into one. But I would not do it that way.

@BRX / Zuberman: extending the CSV feature to allow specifying the PDF file name seems very useful.
If you implement it, please allow specifying the filename and a path relative to the MSP directory:
"song1 ; page 25 ; Realbook2/RealBook2.pdf"

Linked files have to be in the same folder as the PDF. In this case it is very useful to have a subfolder for a fakebook and its related linked files to separate it from other fakebooks.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

itsme, do you think that could be confusing to users specifying a relative path like that? Users might think that is the path relative to the CSV file and not relative to where MobileSheetsPro will store the PDF. Should I only support CSV files that are in the same directory as the PDF, or should I also support relative paths?

Thanks,
Mike
My proposal was caused by my current file structure:

|   
+---100MoreTunesEveryMusicianShouldKnow
|       100MoreTunesEveryMusicianShouldKnow.csv
|       100MoreTunesEveryMusicianShouldKnow.pdf
|       
+---CJB_Fakebook
|       12th Street Rag.html
|       12th Street Rag.mscz
|       Afghanistan.mscz
|       After The Ball Is Over.html
|       After The Ball Is Over.mscz
|       After You've Gone.html
|       After You've Gone.mscz
|       Aggravatin' Papa.mscz
|       Ain't We Got Fun.mscz
|       Alabama Jubilee.html
|       _CJB_Fakebook_22_Bb.csv
|       _CJB_Fakebook_22_Bb.pdf
|       _CJB_Fakebook_22_C.csv
|       _CJB_Fakebook_22_C.pdf
|       
+---DjangoFakebook2008
|   |   .La Vie En Rose.mscz,
|   |   After You've Gone.html
|   |   After You've Gone.mscz
|   |   Ain't Misbehavin'.html
|   |   Ain't Misbehavin'.mscz
|   |   Alembert's.html
|   |   Alembert's.mscz
|   |   _DjangoFakebook2008.csv
|   |   _DjangoFakebook2008.pdf

and so on.

Folders per Fakebook are required to handle the huge number of linked .mscz files that might have duplicates in other fakebooks.
.CSV files in the same directory as the PDFs won't work, that would require moving all the PDFs into one folder. That's why I asked for relative paths.
Paths both relative to the MSP directory or relative to the .CSV would both work.
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

Okay, that makes sense. You said the path relative to the MSP directory, but I interpreted that as meaning the MSP storage location specified in the settings. So you want the path listed in the CSV just to refer to the relative path to the PDF file from the CSV file's location. That makes perfect sense to me. If the PDF is copied into the MobileSheetsPro storage location (if "Let MobileSheets Manage my Files" is enabled), then it won't preserve the relative path. It would handle the PDF like any other PDF that was imported. Does that work for you, or do you also want me to add code so that the relative path to the PDF (in the CSV) also applies to the folder structure that is created under the MobileSheetsPro storage location? i.e. if you have "Realbook2/RealBook2.pdf", then MobileSheetsPro will just copy the file into the storage location like it would for any other import, which would either create a subdirectory based upon the song title, or it would just copy the file into the storage location if "Create Subdirectory per Song" is disabled. 

If you prefer, I could also create "Realbook2/RealBook2.pdf" underneath the storage location - it doesn't matter to me which way it is handled, I just want it to be consistent with the rest of the app and make sense. I believe you probably manage your own files, so you may not care about this.

Thanks,
Mike
I manage my own files. All the subdirectories mentioned above are within the MSP directory.
In case I import a PDF via CSV from "outside" (that should be a rare exception in my personal workflow) it is perfectly fine that you copy it into the MSP directory as you do with any other PDF.

Rainbow 
(08-07-2015, 07:20 AM)itsme Wrote: Long press one of the songs from the big PDF and select "Copy Song" from the menu. The song editor opens where you can edit the meta data. On the "Files" tab enter the according page in "Page Order". Repeat that for all songs from the PDF that you want to use. Proceding like this you create many songs with their specific title and meta data. All of them reference the same file, no need to worry about wasting memory.
You can check that easily: delete one of the songs and check "Delete Song Pdf/Image/Text Files". The  other songs will also lose their file.

I've juste found another way to do  Cool :

- Open the big PDF file (i.e. a Real book) - Go to the page of your song -
- Touch the middle of the screen to make appear the taskbar at the bottom of the screen
- Push the first button of the task bar (at the bottom left), then choose the first option: "create a fragment"
- type the name of the song -> OK
It's done ! Angel
(01-30-2019, 10:41 PM)itsme Wrote: I manage my own files. All the subdirectories mentioned above are within the MSP directory.
In case I import a PDF via CSV from "outside" (that should be a rare exception in my personal workflow) it is perfectly fine that you copy it into the MSP directory as you do with any other PDF.

http://diystompboxes.com/unrealbook/csvindexes/