• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Tracks Manual Entry
Would it be possible to have some more explicit and expanded information in the manual re audio tracks, please? The present entry is two short paragraphs and a bit sketchy. I have a couple of questions which don't seem to be addressed..

Firstly what sort of audio files are supported? I assume only mp3 but this is not stated in the manual.

Second, can I import audio files using the Companion? I assume not and that I must use some sort of file manager to pull over files via the wireless connection to my PC. Again there is no guidance in the manual re import of audio.

Third, how do I get a file to play? I have successfully linked an mp3 to a song (it now has a note next to the entry) but when I view the song there is no play button.
1) All audio files that Android supports are supported by my app. You can see them all here - http://developer.android.com/guide/appen...rmats.html . There are quite a few. I haven't tested adding them all - I've only really tested .mp3 myself. If you are having issues with other types, please let me know.

2) Yes, you can import using the companion app. You can select audio tracks that already exist on the tablet to assign to songs, or import files from your PC, and they will be transferred to the destination you pick. To see this, just tap the music symbol on the song editor screen next to the words "Audio Files", then tap the "From PC" tab at the top of this dialog. You can drag & drop into this dialog to add a file.

3) Once you assign one or more tracks to a song, you have two options for bringing up the media player. You can

a) load up the song, then tap the bottom of the screen to show the player
or
b) tap the center of the screen to bring up the overlay, tap the "play" button at the bottom right, then tap the words that say "Tap Here to Show Media Player". If you don't see these words, then an audio track is not assigned to your song correctly.

Hope that helps.
Mike
That Android audio files link does not work for me; I get a error 404 -file not found.

By "tap the "play" button at the bottom right", I assume you mean the third symbol in from the right, the triangle pointing right. The rightmost symbol is a hammer&wrench.

That triangle brings up the "audio playback" overlay which has 4 check boxes and 3 dropdowns;

Track
keep player visible.......
Display Now Playing.....
Repeat mode
Reset song to start.....
Play continuuously......
Media Player Position
plus a Rewind Track button

that's it. I never see an actual Media Player.

I've tried associating the mp3 with the song both on the tablet and with the Companion now. The result is the same.

Do I have to have any particular media player installed on the tablet? My media player seems to be unbranded and does not come up in the apps list. The icon is a double quaver and it works OK as a standalone.
Sorry, I put a period at the end of the sentence, but it wrapped that into the address. I'll take some screenshots with my tablet so we are on the same page.
[Image: 1.png]
Selected a new song, tapped the audio button to add audio, tapped the folder button to look for a .mp3.

[Image: 2.png]
Selected this .mp3

[Image: 3.png]
You can see the audio show up in the dialog.

[Image: 4.png]
I've loaded my song, and tapped the center bottom of the screen, above the status bar. The media player shows up.

[Image: 5.png]
Alternatively, I can load the media player section and then tap that message about showing/hiding the media player.

If you aren't seeing some of this, I guess it's possible that your tablet doesn't support the standard Android embedded media player (it can be different on every tablet). I'm going to add my own audio player when I can, but I just haven't had the time to do it yet.
(03-24-2013, 03:29 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Sorry, I put a period at the end of the sentence, but it wrapped that into the address. I'll take some screenshots with my tablet so we are on the same page.
BTW my cheapo tablet (vimicro?) is running Android version 2.3
The manufacturer and O.S. version can greatly affect what media player is present on the device. The kindle fire, for example, has a custom media player that Amazon built. It gave me a lot of problems that the other media players did not. The real answer is that I need to have my own media player that I have complete control over. This is going to be a priority for me after I release v4.1.0.

Mike
Thanks for the screenshots. They tell me that no, I never see a media player in Mobilesheets no matter what I do.

A bit more digging has revealed that my Android player is called "Music". I guess I'm going to have to wait for you to do your own.
(03-22-2013, 08:20 PM)fausto Wrote: ..... how do I get a file to play? I have successfully linked an mp3 to a song (it now has a note next to the entry) but when I view the song there is no play button.

Update on this problem; I found while trying to import mp3 files onto my tablet that my Android media player only seems to discover files which are in /sdcard/music . This folder was not present on my tablet, neither from scratch nor after a recent factory reset!

I had made a folder called music in /sdcard/external_sd/Android/data on the grounds that my mp3 collection might get quite large. This did not work; I could not find any way to point the media player to this folder. (Maybe any android gurus could help here)

I have now created a /sdcard/music folder and moved my mp3 files to it. Eureka, now not only does my media player work but it also now appears in Mobilesheets with its associated song. Big Grin
I haven't found audio coverage in the manual for what I'd like to do. I want to record my violin playing of a specific song and then play it back. I'm trying to teach myself to play by ear, no black notes on paper!!! Can I do it all on the tablet or do I need to record on the PC and transfer. Also, do I need a special recording app for either the PC or tablet? Gail
(02-14-2014, 02:02 AM)gail white Wrote: I want to record my violin playing of a specific song and then play it back.....Can I do it all on the tablet or do I need to record on the PC and transfer. Also, do I need a special recording app for either the PC or tablet?

Generally, I find that the Android platform is not really slick enough for audio. Yes, it can play audio files, but as a recorder, it lacks quite a lot. I think you would be better to stick with the PC for this sort of thing.

You don't say what version of Windows you are using, but the more recent versions have in-built recording option (in Win 8 it's called the "sound recorder"). This might just suffice for your purpose, but there are plenty of third-party programs out there, from free to expensive, which will offer you far more flexibility.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Excellent stereo pocket recorders are readily available under $100. Too much latency in Android for pro recording. Playback is fine. Agree with above 100%.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
Although audio latency is a problem with audio apps on Android devices (if only they'd fix this), a simple recording should work fine on most devices. Sometimes a hifi recording app is required because general audio recorder apps are intended for "speech memo" purposes.

When recording, use the highest bit rate possible, with minimal compression (if used).
(02-14-2014, 11:15 PM)Marshland Wrote: Sometimes a hifi recording app is required because general audio recorder apps are intended for "speech memo" purposes.

I doubt there are any recording apps that are less than 16 bit. Use a sample rate of 44.1Khz and you have 'CD Quality' - which would be good enough for most people.

Overall sound quality depends on many factors, but a decent microphone and recording space run pretty much at the top of the list.

From the OP, I suspect that really high quality really isn't what is being sought here, just a means to record progress.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Some recording apps included in Android ROMs, in the past at least, used low sampling rates, took the microphone audio post-filtering, had no means of reducing the mic level and/or used poor quality compression. They're really just intended as digital dictaphone apps. As stated, fortunately there are 'hifi' apps out there for better quality, some record in lossless formats too.