• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metadata Arranger
I'm not out of ideas yet Big Grin

I'd like to suggest one additional standard metadata field for "arranger".

I think this would be useful for those MS Users who play in a bigband (I do) or concert band, since there the arrangement usually is more important than the composer or artist. 

I know I could use the custom field and probably there are more metadata fields "competing" and intentionally left out, but I think this one warrants an official field.
There's no limit to the number of metadata items to add Smile.

Currently, I add the name of the arranger to the composer(s). This is sufficient for my purposes. YMMV.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
There's a huge number of metadata fields and probably everyone uses just "his" subset of them. Maybe reusing another, otherwise unused field, might help. The best overview of available fields is in the "Configure Fields" window.
A more general solution would be to add some more custom fields and allow renaming of the custom fields. Currently we have "Custom", "Custom 2" and "Custom Group". Only "Custom Group" can be given a user specific name. A second Custom Group might make sense.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I'm tracking an enhancement for more custom categories here http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/issues...cgi?id=155. I'll get around to it at some point.
I think the important part is that such a custom group will (may) be recognized upon import. E.g., when I add/change a "FooBar" category, ChordPro import should recognize {foobar: XXX} and store XXX into the FooBar group.

From the perspecitve of the ChordPro standard I must advice to prefix such a directive with "x_" so that it will never clash with an 'official' directive.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
I defer to your judgment Johan on whether you think it's important for me to add those custom directives or not. If a lot of users are going to benefit from being able to set all those fields in the chord pro files, then I don't have problems adding it, but if it's going to be rarely used, then it just adds more complexity for little gain.

Mike
For the upcoming 5.0 version of the ChordPro standard I intend to add the following directives:
  • artist
  • composer
  • key
  • time
  • tempo

I see no problem to add 'arranger' as well.
Also
Quote:To facilitate using custom extensions for application specific purposes, any directive with a name starting with x_ should be completely ignored by applications that do not handle this directive. In particular, no warning should be generated when an unsupported x_directive is encountered.

It is advised to follow the x_ prefix by a tag that identifies the application (namespace). For example, a directive to control a specific pedal setting for the MobilsSheetsPro program could be named x_mspro_pedal_setting.
Johan
It's online about a week since I discovered MS, and I am really excited. But what I badly miss is... an arranger field. Sheets and arranging, these are inseparable things for me, hence I wonder why MS misses such a basic field. And as it seems, nothing has changed since it was mentioned here in 2015(!).
You can use "Custom Group" and name it as you like in Library Settings.

Far more flexible is another feature request to add more custom fields and custom groups, see the post above from 2015-12-23.
Mike is very busy and has to prioritize what to implement.

My preferred solution would be a field "Involved Person" combined with "Role"
"Involved Person" should have its own metadata (e.g. day of death is essential for European copyright). "Role" should link "Involved Person" and "Song" and take values like composer, lyricist, arranger, artist, conductor etc. I'd like to be able to freely specify and name both roles and metadata. But that requires lots of changes in the database structure so that I don't have hope that it can be expected.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I use the artists field for arrangers, bands, editors, and composers (givennames surname). And the composers field for just composers (surname, givennames).

I'd also like a few more custom groups.
Sam

Surface Pro 7 with MSP