• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"System collections"
Well, I don't have a better title to offer.

I'm thinking it would be useful to have some more filters or rather some "system collections" which aren't manually filled but by MSP for songs with items  like

- song notes
- song annotations
- missing PDF
- missing Audio
- cropped
- etc.

which would help maintanence on the device considerably. Is that hard to implement (maybe as extra tab?). Just another idea. :-)
In the thread
http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=3415
I already proposed adding filters for songs with notes and/or annotations.
Sciurius posted an SQL statement there that does such a selection.
That works fine so far, but it's probably not for the average user.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

"missing PDF" is imho covered by "Find Missing Files"
A filter might be more convenient in case a lot of missing files have to be fixed.
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

(07-31-2018, 01:14 AM)itsme Wrote: Sciurius posted an SQL statement there that does such a selection.
That works fine so far, but it's probably not for the average user.
Indeed. I'm looking for things to do from within the app.

Quote:itsme

"missing PDF" is imho covered by "Find Missing Files"

Well, "find missing files" is the reason I came up with the idea because I want to have a way to conveniently save the results (in a collection) and to fix manually later. On W10 (haven't tried Android) you get just a list of links with missing files with the option to delete them. Well, I'd like to fix them manually with providing the file or swap file. At least a way to add the results into a collection is needed IMHO.
And the other things like notes, crops etc. of course would be possible with filters as well. That's why I talked about filters and/or "system collections".
I can add options for filtering on annotations, notes and cropping to the additional filters dialog. I'm not sure I want to add a filter for missing files or missing audio files though, as that just strikes me as an odd thing to put there as it's more of a maintenance thing that is covered by the find missing files utility. It also requires hitting the file system repeatedly, which isn't too slow for internal storage, but can be much slower for SD cards. What I can do is add an option to the find missing files utility to add all of the listed files to a new collection. If that will work for you needs, I'm open to that.

Mike
That'll do fine for me and I think it's the better solution.

The missing files would be only temporary anyway, so putting the results into a collection you can delete after fixing is the best way to go.

The same goes for the filters I think because you can make your own collections from them if needed.
That sounds great. Thank you.

I gotta pretty far along in implementing the new filters and then I realized that I don't read any of the data out of the database at startup that is needed to drive them. I don't want to read all of that data out at startup because a) it will use a lot more memory, and b) it will slow down the loading. I normally only load the critical data needed for driving the library management, and I load the other things (like annotations) when the songs are actually loaded for viewing. So I apologize, but I will not be able to support those filters. I will still add the missing files option to the songs to a collection though.

Mike
OK, designer's prerogative of course, I understand.

But might it be possible without weighing on the resources to include a similar option like for missing files so you can 
create your own collection to add "filtered" songs for annotations, crops, notes, if you know what I mean?
Set the filter as you like > long press to select one of the songs > select all (using the checkbox in the little toolbar bottom right) > Create Setlist from Songs (or "Create Collection from Songs") from the dropdown menu
seems to do what you want. Just the "select all" is a bit tedious and it creates a snapshot of the current filtered result, not a dynamically filtered setlist or collection.
Stored filter settings might also help.

Sure, I know, but I still need a way for the system to search for crops etc. to be able to add them somewhere or am I missing something?
Yes, thats clear. We're talking about two independent things.
Songs with annotations or cropped songs are newly requested filters. My post was about creating a setlist or a collection for a certain filter.

Can you please explain why you need to be able to filter on songs that are cropped, annotated or have notes? That does not seem like an action that most users would ever need. If you need an advanced query like that, you could always run SQL queries against the database yourself (I can help provide those queries). If enough users chime in that this would be useful to them, then I'm certainly open to adding a separate screen to perform complex queries against the library, but if you have a large library (say 2000+ songs or more) and I have to cache in memory all of the information for every song, that is going to add up very fast. The other option would be to just query the database and not cache the results, and then provide a display of that information, but once again, if you have a large library, you may encounter considerable delays for each query (easily multiple seconds or more any time anything is changed).

One last option is for me to support those filters, but if they are used, it will cache in memory everything for every song. There are a few places in the application where that information winds up getting cached anyways (library sync, library backup/restore) so it's not without precedent. I have a few test libraries with around 5000 songs, so I can try to see what the memory impact of doing that is. There will probably be a delay after the first query is run using those new filters as everything is loaded into memory, but then it would be fast after that. I just would like to hear the usefulness of adding those new filters before doing the work (again) that is required.

Thanks,
Mike
(08-06-2018, 07:12 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Can you please explain why you need to be able to filter on songs that are cropped, annotated or have notes? That does not seem like an action that most users would ever need. If you need an advanced query like that, you could always run SQL queries against the database yourself (I can help provide those queries). 
Essentially for maintenance of the database which is very big in my case since I threw all my fakebooks on it.
The notes and annotations are not that important though it would show me these songs are already edited and are not in need to be checked or edited otherwise.
Cropping is of more importance since it not only eliminates parts that are not wanted or needed but by drawing the frame as narrow as possible you have the "magnifiying effect" which is very useful for smaller devices with only 10' screens.
So having a way to sort cropped already / not cropped is something (I guess) other users could need as well.
Many of my song files are exported from Finale, MuseScore or .DOC files. I take notes during sessions or rehearsals using MSP annotations and want to integrate these notes later into the original files and create the corrected PDFs once again e.g. to share them with others.

That's also a kind of database maintenance that I do at home when I have time. So performance or caching is not an issue.

Creating a list of cropped / not cropped songs is not my main concern as more or less all my songs are cropped. I create the PDFs with margins that are wide enough for print-outs and crop them in MSP as soon as I import them.

How about implementing special filters that can execute an SQL statement?
Those filters could be stored and named similarly to the existing storage of filter combinations.