• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tablet ideas
Hi all . New user here. Looking for a large tablet for my sheet music. I do all my music in lyrics and chord format so can fir most songs onto 1 page but need it to be big enough. Had a Samsung 7 inch. Looking at black Friday deals and not a large  budget so wondering if this will fit the bill? Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 Inch Wi-Fi Tablet - (Black) (2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMc, Android 6.0, UK Version) £170 on Amazon... Any other thoughts gratefully received
(11-21-2018, 07:36 PM)diva1deb Wrote: Hi all . New user here. Looking for a large tablet for my sheet music. I do all my music in lyrics and chord format so can fir most songs onto 1 page but need it to be big enough. Had a Samsung 7 inch. Looking at black Friday deals and not a large  budget so wondering if this will fit the bill? Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 Inch Wi-Fi Tablet - (Black) (2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMc, Android 6.0, UK Version Pnr Status TextNow VPN) £170 on Amazon... Any other thoughts gratefully received

Hi,

The tablet market is very slow, if you want quality there are only two choices : the Apple iPad and the Saumsung Galaxy Tab.

There is other chinese marks but not close in quality. So the Galaxy Tab is what I suggess.
Be aware there is no IOS version of MSP at present, so the iPad is not an option.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(02-02-2019, 02:05 AM)nour Wrote: Hi,
The tablet market is very slow, if you want quality there are only two choices : the Apple iPad and the Saumsung Galaxy Tab.

There is other chinese marks but not close in quality. So the Galaxy Tab is what I suggess.

Of course there are more options now. Google is speeding up the development of ChromeOS with native Android app support. With more to come (tablets) this February/year.
Already on the the market are two 12.3" ChromeOS tablets:
- Google's Pixel Slate
and
- HP Chromebook x2
Both with 3:2 aspect ratio high res displays.

Lastly if you want to avoid using device developed in Gina there is the option of rooting Sony's DPT-RP1 with 13.3" EInk screen. Just be aware that Bluetooth pedal functionality is still work in progress.
If you have no price limit...prefer Samsung Galaxy S2 Tab it is an excellent choice for sheet music. It arrives with a 2048*1536 (QXGA) along with AMOLED touch screen which gives smooth performance. I think it is very useful to you.
I would prefer something larger than 9.7".
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(04-13-2019, 04:49 AM)sciurius Wrote: I would prefer something larger than 9.7".

if you need more than 9.7 why don't you prefer Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 that has 10.5
In one of the groups I play in there are 2 15" HP 2in1's, 2- 13.5" 2in1's [1 HP, 1 Dell Latitude] and an Ipad. I considered a 15", but decided it was more than I wanted to use, cost and weight. The 2in1's work good even though they are a heavier than a tablet. There are a few 2 piece convertibles I didn't look at. I have an old Asus that worked well, but you have to pay attention and watch for unexpected separation of the 2 parts, base [keyboard] and screen.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I have been happy with this.  It is certainly not a high end tablet.  It is probably weaker in the tablet pen department.

But, it has been fully functional for me and for the price, I bought a back up :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NuVision-13-3...MYQAvD_BwE

[Image: 190423-att_sm-927a_galaxy_view_2_bk_v_ex...tails-jpg%24]
17.3 inch Android based Samsung Galaxy View2 will available soon.

Weight: 4.92 lbs or 2.23kg
SD card, LTE, 12,000mAh Battery, 1920x1080 resolution.
I'm conditionally happy with HP x2.   There hasn't been a problem, except the SD card cannot be accessed (by Android apps).    32 G actually seems like enough memory, only because my memory usage is dedicated to no other purpose than MSP. So I'm trying not to worry about it.

If you go with Chromebook, get more main memory.  

Until the web apps come online, I can't run Tabledit or Musescore on my Chromebook.  (Any help in running Linux apps is welcome). So, if you want to use those apps, get a Windows device to run MSP.  I have to go home to score a sheet, then upload it to the cloud before I can import to MSP.
The new Acer Spin 13  Chromebook looks promising. 
It's a 3:2 aspect ratio which is perfect for sheet music. You would need a 15 inch wide-screen or larger to get the same width in portrait. 
I have been using the samsung Chromebook 12 inch with 3:2 aspect ratio for a while, but would definitely get the Acer if I had to buy a new today.
From my (pureley subjective!) analysis of typical sheet music I do not understand the desire for 3:2 tablets: all printed scores I know in Germany have a completely different form factor. IMHO, if you mainly rely on scanned printed sheets and the like, the best choice for a vertically scrollable "single page" tablet would be something like a 15" 16:9 tablet, with the white borders of the sheets cut down.

if you want to display a two-pager horizontally you better take a very light 20" 16:9 or better 16:10 display, but probably best as 2nd display of a smaller computer with a pen enabled touch display for taking notes. There *are* light 20" displays, down to about 2,5 kg. But they still require a powerbank for energizing. Sleepy

The alternative "two page display" would be a composed display consisting of two "single page" 12" - 13" tablets (or paperwhite e-inks) that would need an appropriate control system for the doubled page turns, though.

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
If you use standard A4 paper, (which I assume most of Europe does), then 4:3 is the best fit as this is almost the same aspect ratio of the A paper sizes. Ideally it should be somewhere between 4:3 and 3:2, but I don't think the latter exists as a screen format.

If you use it in landscape mode, 4:3 is also still the best fit, as the aspect ratio of the A paper standard is the same regardless of paper size (i.e two A4 pages side by side has the same aspect ratio as a single A4 in landscape orientation). So a 4:3 screen in landscape would fit two A4's much closer than a 16:9. 
I don't think you can get a 4:3 screen much bigger than 14 inches (iPad aside), and using two page mode on a 14 inch screen is kind of to small, at least for my eyes

As an example I have a 12 inch 4:3 display and a 13.3 inch 16:9 display. In portrait mode/single page the width of the 4:3 display is about 1 cm wider than the 16:9 display, making the size of the sheet music bigger on the 12 inch than on the 13.3 inch. But the widescreen does show a little bit of the next page, so if that is what you want go with that.

Of course, if you use custom scans with custom aspect ratio all the above is invalid  Big Grin
Laba,

as you stated it: Large 4:3 displays aren't on the market, therefore my next best fit for side-by-side 2 page displays: 16:10. But again, I couldn't find any light-weight ones with this form factor, so there is this silly 16:9 the only one left.

The smaller screens (up to some 15") are only sensible for single page vertical scrolling displays in portrait mode, IMHO. But then it is quite nice to have a vertically looong 16:9 display for just the reason you stated: to have more systems in view at any time, so less scrolling necessities.

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink