• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatically mark end of score with color band (for sensible "da capo" handling)
Another idea for less stress while playing ... Wink 

My problem: Using the "da capo" forwarding at the end of a score, the "scrolling advance" does not allow an overlap of the last and the subsequent first page.

Background: While the scrolling amount (in percent of page) can be defined for the scrolling within the subsequent score pages, this does not apply at the end when a further move forward will do a full jump to the first page again. As I am quite occupied playing my instrument I am not really capable of scrutinizing the score display if it is already showing the last page, and so I should be cautious not to tap on the foot pedal too early, in order not to lose the view on notes still to be played.

Suggestion: Put a colourful end-of-sheets marker (e.g. bright red) automatically below the bottom of the last page of a score, so one can see with the corner of the eyes whether it is "dangerous" to tap the pedal. The visibility of this colour bar should indicate that the next tap changes to the full first page again.

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
Hi Petra,

you can use a setting that the last page can't be changed by pedal (you have to use the hand to switch to the next piece) which Mike has provided for preventing unwanted changes of the last page.

Though I still like the suggestion of a marker for the end of a page. I think I made a similar suggestion some time ago. It would be especially useful for the vertical scrolling mode I'm using the most with cropped pages so more of them can be put on a page (very useful for da capos, codas etc.). But sometimes (using the white background) it isn't apparent where the next page begins and a marker would be of help to catch the page turn at the right time.
Hi BRX,

Quote:you can use a setting that the last page can't be changed by pedal (you have to use the hand to switch to the next piece)

This may be so, but as I play a wind controller it is quite distracting to take the hands off its tube, even for returning "da capo". For this kind of playing foot pedals are much better to integrate, as the feet aren't needed for the actual playing. Wink 

And yes, the vertical scrolling mode is the one I use, as it is the only mode, IMHO, that allows for continuous previewing the next system(s) in the score. But you have to be very clear in this mode whether you need further (partial/overlapping) scroll movement by the pedal, or the complete exchange of the current page against the da capo one.

By studying the manual I found a replacement: the ordering of pages that allows a repetition of pages as a kind of implicit da capo resolution towards a strictly linearised flow.

Quote:But sometimes (using the white background) it isn't apparent where the next page begins and a marker would be of help to catch the page turn at the right time.

Experimenting with the background colour I staggered over the same problem. Because of that I certainly stay with the black background. But I'd suggest a less contrasting gray or coloured background (like sepia contrasting white, or similar) als choice alternatives beyond pure black / white.

Anyhow, I am still learning the potential as well as the ropes of MobSh ... Angel

Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
You can put a number [what I use] or draw a line, any color, anywhere you want in the annotate mode. I have a 6 pager and use a relatively  large, colored numbers at the top left of each page. On another difficult to follow chart, I actually used the marker selection to mark each line of each verse in different colors.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I know that and I'm doing that already. It's just a lot to annotate if you have lots of sheets in vertical mode. So some (optional) automatic marker would be appreciated.

Also, Petra, you might want to look into duplicating pages, cropping and ordering to get one continous "page flow" including repeat, D.C., codas etc. which is very useful for multipage sheets and scrolling through them with a pedal only. 

The option I mentioned is only for the last page of the piece (so you don't turn to the next piece unintendedly) when you should have your hands free to move to the next song anyway.
Well, I did some further reading and testing, and think you are quite right with the rather easy resolution of repetition and returns. So I consider the automatic coloured end bar as a class C suggestion meanwhile.   Big Grin 

My personal class A problem, however, is my observation that auto-scroll and pedal scrolling use do not work together nicely. But I already addressed this in another thread and don't want to repeat it here.

Btw, in order to create a sensible workflow from MuseScore (on Linux) to score display I found the pdfcrop program very helpful: It reduces the white border to 0 (or a nearby value for aesthetic reasons Blush ) automagically and thus helps to exploit the limited screen size of tablets to the max.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this end bar suggestion!

Petra