• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChordPro and comment at line end
Hi,
if I use a comment at the end of a ChordPro line, MSP displays the comment but not the text/chords before in the same line.

Example from a ChordPro file:

Code:
... pa[F]ure {c:Repeat F...}

just displays

Repeate F...
but not
        F
... paure Repeat F...
Holger
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T580, Android 8.1.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500, Android 12)
AirTurn Duo
I just tested this with the reference implementation of chord pro and it completely ignores the comment directive if it's not at the start of the line (sciurius, correct me if I'm wrong).  So in the reference implementation, you will actually see {c:Repeat F...} at the end of the line. So perhaps my implementation is incorrect as I'm ignoring the rest of the line if I detect a comment anywhere in it.  I don't think it's valid to use the comment directive at the end of a line though. It's not meant to be used to format a small section of text to make it italic. It's meant to make an entire line italicized. The upcoming pango syntax support will allow for individual sections of a sentence to be formatted though, so I think that's ultimately what you will want to utilize.

Mike
Thanks for your quick response.

Indeed, ChordPro states "comment line". I prepared the files with Songpress (https://www.skeed.it/songpress), which has then a rather lazy interpretation here. Just overlooked it, might be as I viewed the format more from a programming language perspective, where this interpretation would be rather problematic Blush

I will keep the difference in mind and if pango is better, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, it also supports some length/tact hints for non-singers...
Holger
AirTurn Duo
The ChordPro spec explicitly defines directives (e.g. {c: ...}) to be alone on a separate line. This works in all tools.

For most, hopefully all, purposes where embedded directives would typically be used the upcoming support for the Pango Markup language can be used.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(11-13-2019, 05:21 PM)sciurius Wrote: The ChordPro spec explicitly defines directives (e.g. {c: ...}) to be alone on a separate line. This works in all tools.

For most, hopefully all, purposes where embedded directives would typically be used the upcoming support for the Pango Markup language can be used.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the Pango integration...
Holger
AirTurn Duo
You can participate in testing. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...8wBjsX-nHA.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Thank you for the invitation. I will try to find a bit time to look at it and to experiment with my formatting ideas, probably beginning/mid of next week.
Holger
AirTurn Duo