• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUG: all annotations vanish when changing pages from file
This seems like quite a serious bug:

I spent about 20 minutes making some significant annotations to page 2 of one song.  I then wanted to share only that page with band members as PDF, and the only way I could see to selectively export one page as a PDF was to temporarily change the Page Order field from "1-2" to "2", do the export, then change it back.  (I'll start a separate feature request thread for a better way to do that.)

Unfortunately this caused a complete loss of all the annotations I had just made.  I imagine they are maybe still buried in some sqlite table, but possibly with the wrong page reference, therefore invisible and inaccessible.  Or maybe something else caused it - I'm just wildly guessing.  Even after restoring the page order to both pages, they did not reappear, so presumably I'll have to make them all over again.
Yes there is the discussion about it
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...Page+order
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
Changing the page order is going to delete annotations - there is no way to avoid that. If you remove pages from a song, all references to things on those pages are gone. It doesn't make sense to preserve data for pages you've removed. What you should have done is copy the song (long press the song, copy song on the library screen) and then modified the copy. The reason you can't just change the page order like that is that annotations aren't saved in the file itself - they are saved only in the database. So if you remove page references, everything related to those pages are removed from the database. 

The annotations redesign is (tentatively) adding a feature that will automatically convert between PDF annotations and MobileSheets annotations. This will allow some modifications to existing PDF annotations, and will allow MobileSheets annotations to be saved in the PDF instead of in the database. This feature will limit what settings are supported though, as the PDF spec doesn't allow some things that MobileSheets supports.

Mike

McAroni - the bug fix for the forum post you linked to is to ensure annotations on pages are correct after changing the page order. I have a fix in place for that. Removing pages in the page order, saving those changes, and then adding the pages back is not going to bring back the annotations. That is not something I am going to support.
(02-24-2020, 09:32 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Changing the page order is going to delete annotations - there is no way to avoid that. If you remove pages from a song, all references to things on those pages are gone. It doesn't make sense to preserve data for pages you've removed. What you should have done is copy the song (long press the song, copy song on the library screen) and then modified the copy. The reason you can't just change the page order like that is that annotations aren't saved in the file itself - they are saved only in the database. So if you remove page references, everything related to those pages are removed from the database. 

Thanks for the quick reply but I think you are perhaps misunderstanding the problem I described.  My annotations were on page 2, and I changed the page order from "1-2" to "2".  Therefore I was not removing the annotated page (2) from the song; rather, I was removing another unannotated page (1).  Since I didn't remove the annotated page 2, losing the annotations from this page seems like really undesirable behaviour to me.

Actually, upon further experimentation I think there is something weirder going on, and it's definitely a bug.  Now I'm seeing something different; try this sequence to see if you can reproduce:
  • Add an annotation to the 2nd page of a 2 page song
  • Go straight to the Files tab and change Page Order from "1-2" to just "2"
  • Hit OK and observe that the annotations seem correct in the page preview before tapping "OK".
  • Tap "OK" to save the page order as just "2".
  • Change Page Order back to "1-2".
  • Hit OK and observe that the annotations seem correct in the page previews before tapping "OK".
  • Tap "OK" to save the page order as "1-2".
  • Notice that the newly added annotation is now on both pages 1 and 2!!
I must have previously done things differently somehow to simply lose the annotations, but for some reason now I can't reproduce that any more - just this new "duplicate annotations" bug.  Either way, something fishy is definitely happening.
Then yes, the changes I've made should fix what you are seeing. That's basically just a bug due to code I added to handle the scenario where you remove a file and add back a new version of it (I didn't want users to lose their annotations when they do that).

Mike
OK great - but this bugfix is not in the Play store yet, right?  According to my Play app I already have the latest version of MSP and I still see this issue.
Correct, I haven't released the update yet as I'm still addressing emails from users. I'm trying to work through all the recent bug reports before releasing the update so I can focus back on the annotations redesign after.

Mike
Gotcha. I will attempt to minimise the number of further delays I cause! Wink