• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deleting all songs that share a .PDF
I think I screwed up in preparation for replacing about 600 songs with substitutes with better .CSV metadata and an improved PDF. I can salvage my error if there's an easy way to tell MSP "Hey, I want to delete every song that points to THIS .pdf file." Is that possible?

FYT, my screwup is that I forgot that I had already imported all those songs and named an Album after the PDF. Then I deleted the Album and now can't find any way to select all the songs that used to be in it, they're having in common now only that they all point to one PDF.

Thanks!
Click the Search dropdown, change it to "File Paths", enter the PDF name (or the path to the PDF if you want) and only songs using that PDF should show up in the list. You can then right-click a song to start selection mode, click the select all icon in the floating toolbar at the bottom right and then click "Delete" at the top of the screen.

Mike
@Mike

That didn't work for me when I tried it.
As this involves a lot of accurate typing, I used cut and paste:-

1. Long press a song in a songbook
  2. Edit Song
  3. Long Press the File Name on the Files tab and "Copy To Clipboard"
  4. Set Search Filter to "File Paths"
  5. Long Press in the Search Field and select Paste (not easy to spot)
  6. This results in a blank screen headed by "Load All"
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I'll have to investigate. I know it works if you enter just the filename.

Mike

UPDATE:

I've got a fix in place for this now.

Thanks,
Mike
Perhaps it is because the paste includes the full file specification and MSP is also adding the data path?

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
No, it was because my normal logic strips punctuation from the search term, but I needed to not do that for file paths.

Mike
While it sounds as though this will work, I doubt that many will use it because it is too difficult to "find" (when I had a similar problem, I had to sort by date to identify the songs and that only worked because I immediately realised that the csv file needed alterations).

When deleting a song, you already display a confirmation dialog stating that "Files shared by multiple songs will not be deleted".
Would it be possible to have an extra check box (always defaulting to unchecked) that allows the user to delete all songs associated with the physical file(s).

A better solution would be to provide an Edit option where one could easily obtain a display of all the songs associated with a physical file. In addition to providing an easy way to delete files (and it probably would not require a change to your delete logic), this could allow other operations like putting all songs into a collection.

I'll leave it to you ("Mike knows best")

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(04-20-2020, 08:32 PM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: While it sounds as though this will work, I doubt that many will use it because it is too difficult to "find" (when I had a similar problem, I had to sort by date to identify the songs and that only worked because I immediately realised that the csv file needed alterations).

When deleting a song, you already display a confirmation dialog stating that "Files shared by multiple songs will not be deleted".
Would it be possible to have an extra check box (always defaulting to unchecked) that allows the user to delete all songs associated with the physical file(s).

A better solution would be to provide an Edit option where one could easily obtain a display of all the songs associated with a physical file. In addition to providing an easy way to delete files (and it probably would not require a change to your delete logic), this could allow other operations like putting all songs into a collection.

I'll leave it to you ("Mike knows best")

Cheers
Geoff
Ditto all of Geoff's comments! Haven't tried the complicated procedure yet, because I used the Geoff "sort by date" workaround to find and delete 600+ songs.
Alright, I'll write up a feature request to add an option to the dialog to delete all songs using any of the files used by the song that is being deleted. The song could technically have more than one file in it, so this option would delete any songs that share any of those files. I would also hide this option if I can't detect any songs that happen to be using those same files (so that it's obvious when no other songs use the files).

Mike