• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Libraries for Page Order
I've been using a 2-in-1 Windows 10 laptop in portrait orientation, single page view, for my music. I've entered page numbers to cover repeats and multiple verses. So a song with two pages and three versus has page numbers as 1-2,1-2,1-2. I've also added some annotations to help identify which ending to use and other guidance. This has worked very good. At every page turn my eyes know exactly where to focus (top left of the page).

I recently purchased a 24" monitor to use as a 2nd monitor on my desktop but decided to try it as a two page display for MobileSheets. I tried it attached to my laptop in landscape orientation and two page view. It has sufficient size and clarity and also fits my music stand (similar to the Swing It - Big Band Music Stand). When a page turns, the page on the right shifts to the left as I expected. What I didn't expect was the difficulty of focusing on the correct measure after the page "turn". This is especially troublesome if I want to follow a few measures on the right side page before I do the page turn and it shifts to the left side.

What I would like to have is a second library with all the same music but different page turns for songs with just two pages. Essentially, there wouldn't be any page turn for these songs. Just 1-2.

In one library I could copy all the songs and add a "2" in front of each one for use in Landscape two page mode. Using Collections might work also but the song list sort order would not work for all the songs starting with a "2". If I put the "2" last, then my song list will have two entries for each song consecutively and it would be easy to select the wrong one.

If it is possible to easily switch between a library for Portrait one page mode and a library for Landscape two page mode, that would probably work better for me.

Is there an easy way to switch from one library to another? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

P.S. I ran into a situation after I disconnected the 24" monitor and then started MobileSheets on the 17" laptop while still in landscape orientation. MobileSheets started fine but if I tried to open a song it would load the first page on the left, as in two page mode, then in about 2 seconds MobileSheets would crash. The program just vanished. I tried rebooting but that didn't help. I restored a backup library from before using two page mode and MobileSheets is working again.
Mike's solution here may work for you also.
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...7#pid29927
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Thanks Skip, Different titles seems to be the best approach for now. Collections, filters, or set lists could serve to use correct page turns.

I still need to deal with losing my place for songs longer than two pages that still require page turns. Maybe always doing the page turn at the end of the first line on the right side page. I'm also thinking of adding some kind of visual marker so that when the page moves it is easier to focus at the correct measure. Maybe others have a method that works.
If you set

on Android:
Let Mobile Sheets Manage My Files:OFF
Set the MobileSheets Storage Location: AnyFolderAsYouLike
Expose Database File: ON

on Win10:
Set the MobileSheets Storage Location: AnyFolderAsYouLike

and store all your files in subfolders of your MSP folder AnyFolderAsYouLike you can have several MSP databases that use the same files or different subsets of the files in the MSP folder.

The file paths are stored relative to the MSP folder. So, in case you make sure to use the same subfolder structure on your Android devices and Win10 device, you can even synchronise the MSP folders between the devices and just copy the databases.
On Android the databases are stored within the specified MSP folder, on Win10 the databases are stored in
c:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState\*.db
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

itsme,

I am in the process of switching to a 2 in 1 because I need a bigger screen to read some "chicken scratch" scores I have. Meanwhile I've been playing them in landscape mode, which means two or more "page turns" (scroll) per page. I did what you are talking about. Using the notation pen, I made marks to indicate the last line I played before the page turn. It was usually the last "turn" at the end of a page that would get me. My eyes are trained to go top left, but when there's only one line to play after the last "turn" where I need to be is NOT top left. It's somewhere middle left. The cue marks help with that. Since sometimes I get requests and I don't practice my entire repertoire all the time, written cues and that pop-up text box that you can add to a song are invaluable to me.

Dave
(09-09-2020, 05:06 AM)ZuperDave Wrote: itsme,

I am in the process of switching to a 2 in 1 because I need a bigger screen to read some "chicken scratch" scores I have.  Meanwhile I've been playing them in landscape mode, which means two or more "page turns" (scroll) per page.  I did what you are talking about.  Using the notation pen, I made marks to indicate the last line I played before the page turn.  It was usually the last "turn" at the end of a page that would get me.  My eyes are trained to go top left, but when there's only one line to play after the last "turn" where I need to be is NOT top left.  It's somewhere middle left.  The cue marks help with that.  Since sometimes I get requests and I don't practice my entire repertoire all the time, written cues and that pop-up text box that you can add to a song are invaluable to me.

Dave

Hi Dave, I had a 15" laptop and purchased a 17" 2-in-1 laptop. I thought it would be large enough to see the music clearly but some sheet music was still small enough to be difficult to see. I used it in the portrait position, so one page at a time. Although doing everything to make page turns instant, they sometimes lagged. If I wasn't very familiar with the music then I sometimes had difficulty keeping in rhythm at the page turns.

I purchased a 24" monitor to use as a second monitor with my desktop but I tried it in horizontal position, two pages, with MobileSheets. I was surprised the pages seemed larger. After doing some calculations based on a page size of 8 1/2 x 11", I discovered the 17" monitor displayed at 97% of full size (limited by screen width) while the 24" monitor displayed each page at 107% of full size. It doesn't sound like much but the 24" made a huge improvement. I use a band style music stand so the monitor sits on the shelf perfectly. I do need to keep my computer next to the stand since the monitor is not touch sensitive. I use a FireFly foot pedal to turn pages so once I start a set I don't need to use the laptop touch or mouse.

I have used the MobileSheets editing to add text at the top left of the 1st page if the music is "1 Page" or "2 Pages". This tells me I don't need to turn pages. If the song is more than two pages I have added the text "Turn" at the top of the second page to remind me to turn the page at that point. I'm using the 1-2-3-4 page turn so the 3rd page replaces the 1st page on the left of the display (if the is any page turn lag it doesn't matter). I haven't added "Turn" on other pages but I may do that in the future as I sometimes forget which page I'm on. I may also use "3 of x", etc to help me keep track or use that in place of "Turn". I also put "Last" at the top left of the last page and a black square at the end of the score. I also use arrows, lines, and notations whenever needed for reminders.

I've been surprised that which side of the display a page is on sometimes is distracting. For example, if the score has 3 pages with a repeat, the 1st page of the second verse is on the right side instead of on the left (as well as all other pages being on the opposite side of the display). A 3rd verse would put page one back on the left. I'm sure I'll get used to this.

Regarding the original subject, I'm only using one library. I've created duplicate song files for songs that are two pages for the two page display, adding a " -2-" at the end of the file name. If a song is one or more than two pages, my notations work for either a one or two page display. For songs that are two pages, I don't include repeat page orders (1-2,1-2,1-2) for the -2- files unless I need special notation for different verses. I also created different Set Lists for one and two page display.

I hope this give you some ideas.
(09-10-2020, 07:56 AM)gwinaz Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 05:06 AM)ZuperDave Wrote: itsme,

I am in the process of switching to a 2 in 1 because I need a bigger screen to read some "chicken scratch" scores I have.  Meanwhile I've been playing them in landscape mode, which means two or more "page turns" (scroll) per page.  I did what you are talking about.  Using the notation pen, I made marks to indicate the last line I played before the page turn.  It was usually the last "turn" at the end of a page that would get me.  My eyes are trained to go top left, but when there's only one line to play after the last "turn" where I need to be is NOT top left.  It's somewhere middle left.  The cue marks help with that.  Since sometimes I get requests and I don't practice my entire repertoire all the time, written cues and that pop-up text box that you can add to a song are invaluable to me.

Dave

Hi Dave, I had a 15" laptop and purchased a 17" 2-in-1 laptop. I thought it would be large enough to see the music clearly but some sheet music was still small enough to be difficult to see. I used it in the portrait position, so one page at a time. Although doing everything to make page turns instant, they sometimes lagged. If I wasn't very familiar with the music then I sometimes had difficulty keeping in rhythm at the page turns.

I purchased a 24" monitor to use as a second monitor with my desktop but I tried it in horizontal position, two pages, with MobileSheets. I was surprised the pages seemed larger. After doing some calculations based on a page size of 8 1/2 x 11", I discovered the 17" monitor displayed at 97% of full size (limited by screen width) while the 24" monitor displayed each page at 107% of full size. It doesn't sound like much but the 24" made a huge improvement. I use a band style music stand so the monitor sits on the shelf perfectly. I do need to keep my computer next to the stand since the monitor is not touch sensitive. I use a FireFly foot pedal to turn pages so once I start a set I don't need to use the laptop touch or mouse.

I have used the MobileSheets editing to add text at the top left of the 1st page if the music is "1 Page" or "2 Pages". This tells me I don't need to turn pages. If the song is more than two pages I have added the text "Turn" at the top of the second page to remind me to turn the page at that point. I'm using the 1-2-3-4 page turn so the 3rd page replaces the 1st page on the left of the display (if the is any page turn lag it doesn't matter). I haven't added "Turn" on other pages but I may do that in the future as I sometimes forget which page I'm on. I may also use "3 of x", etc to help me keep track or use that in place of "Turn". I also put "Last" at the top left of the last page and a black square at the end of the score. I also use arrows, lines, and notations whenever needed for reminders.

I've been surprised that which side of the display a page is on sometimes is distracting. For example, if the score has 3 pages with a repeat, the 1st page of the second verse is on the right side instead of on the left (as well as all other pages being on the opposite side of the display). A 3rd verse would put page one back on the left. I'm sure I'll get used to this.

Regarding the original subject, I'm only using one library. I've created duplicate song files for songs that are two pages for the two page display, adding a " -2-" at the end of the file name. If a song is one or more than two pages, my notations work for either a one or two page display. For songs that are two pages, I don't include repeat page orders (1-2,1-2,1-2) for the -2- files unless I need special notation for different verses. I also created different Set Lists for one and two page display.

I hope this give you some ideas.
gwinaz,

Thanks for the response.  While I was browsing the local Best Buy I saw the "all in one" units and thought about doing something like what you described but without the PC.  I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. Now I'm not so sure.  Great "first world" problems to be having, eh?   Big Grin
(09-10-2020, 02:22 PM)ZuperDave Wrote: gwinaz,

Thanks for the response.  While I was browsing the local Best Buy I saw the "all in one" units and thought about doing something like what you described but without the PC.  I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. Now I'm not so sure.  Great "first world" problems to be having, eh?   Big Grin

The monitor I purchased was at Costco for $99. I place it directly on my music stand. I doubt the 17" 2-in-1 laptop and for sure the monitor would not work on a regular music stand. I purchased my band style music stand about 50 years ago and I'm still using it. I like it because it is more sturdy that the traditional music stand and if you are playing for anyone, then the music is not in front of your face or off to the side. The "Swing It!" Band Stand is one model. The "Poly Band Stand" is another. I would recommend the 24" model if available, otherwise 28". I haven't found very many sources for these music stands. I found DIY instructions online at https://www.revorch.com/stand/StandPage.html if you have the skill (I don't!).