• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
MobileSheets and MobileSheetsPro v3.0.0 Released
(01-14-2021, 04:32 AM)McAroni Wrote: You could use the command bar too. There are all the favorites and the most important tools. And it stays open.
Yes but the command bar holds very few favs and one needs to scroll to the left back and forth.
Regardless, the ability to move and close the favs window should still be there  imo
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
(01-14-2021, 03:38 AM)palosanto Wrote: The numbers are already included in the stamps library and also p (piano). We just need you to add a, m and i with the same font as p somewhere in the library. 
One could put them in the favorites palette in the desired size and color ready to apply to the guitar score much faster than with the text tool.
I just tested it and I love it! Lightning fast and accurate. I think that I'll be using it instead of freehand from now on.

Related to post #147
I compiled the characters needed to create stamps for guitar fingerings. You are welcome to download them and try them.
Numbers are 0 to 6 so that can be used for LH fingers or for strings inside the included circle
A good size is around 5 or 6.
Create the stamps and place them in your favorites box.

.zip   Guitar-Fingerings.zip (Size: 6.46 KB / Downloads: 7)
Donner BT pedal
(01-14-2021, 09:57 AM)palosanto Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 03:38 AM)palosanto Wrote: The numbers are already included in the stamps library and also p (piano). We just need you to add a, m and i with the same font as p somewhere in the library. 
One could put them in the favorites palette in the desired size and color ready to apply to the guitar score much faster than with the text tool.
I just tested it and I love it! Lightning fast and accurate. I think that I'll be using it instead of freehand from now on.

I attach the ones I am using now for the strings with numbers 1 to 6 in circles.  

By the way, I am facing some difficulties with the edition (modification) of texts created with the previous MS version.

I try the text tool, but when I click on the text I cannot see what I am typing. If I use the select/nudge tool and try to edit, I can modify the format but not the text itself.

In the previous version, I had two dialogue boxes opened automatically (one for edition / modification and one for nudging). Both boxes could be moved to a convenient place. This functionality seems to be lost.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but the only way I have found is to erase the text and write it again. This is neither elegant nor practic. Confused 

Could someone explain how to modify an existing text?

Attached Files
.zip   Guitar string numbers.zip (Size: 4.8 KB / Downloads: 1)
(01-15-2021, 12:33 AM)Javier MM Wrote: Could someone explain how to modify an existing text?

Javier,

Don't use the select tool to edit the text itself, just use the text tool and click on the text to edit.
Donner BT pedal
Javier MM - Are you using the Windows 10 version of MobileSheets or the Android version? If you are using the Android version and you purchased through Google Play, I can have you test the latest build to see if it resolves the issues you are having with modifying existing text annotations. In general, all you should need to to is select the text tool, tap on an existing text annotation, and you should be able to modify the text.

Mike
(01-15-2021, 06:00 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Javier MM - Are you using the Windows 10 version of MobileSheets or the Android version? If you are using the Android version and you purchased through Google Play, I can have you test the latest build to see if it resolves the issues you are having with modifying existing text annotations. In general, all you should need to to is select the text tool, tap on an existing text annotation, and you should be able to modify the text.

Mike

Javier,

For what its worth, I think it looks/operates a bit different than the prior version. I think you no longer see the border of annotation box you are working on. But, I think the cursor default is the end of the annotation text (from the earlier version). I think I was a bit confused at first when I tried to modify an old annotation. There is a bit to get used to.
If I tap on an annotation with a border and/or fill to edit it, I still see the border and fill while I'm editing. Are you saying if you tap to edit the annotation, you no longer see the bordre? Or are you talking about the selection box?

Mike
In the mean time I also worked a bit with the new editor. The "wheel" is cool, but I must admit that I have to get used to it (surely, I will). However, when trying to move text boxes, the cursor overlay always occurs at the text box so that I can just guess where I will move the text to and it seems that it is not possible to move the cursor overlay anymore. Sorry, if this already has been mentioned....

Best,
Holger
Holger
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T580, Android 8.1.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500, Android 12)
AirTurn Duo
(01-15-2021, 05:05 AM)palosanto Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 12:33 AM)Javier MM Wrote: Could someone explain how to modify an existing text?

Javier,

Don't use the select tool to edit the text itself, just use the text tool and click on the text to edit.

(01-15-2021, 07:36 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 06:00 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Javier MM - Are you using the Windows 10 version of MobileSheets or the Android version? If you are using the Android version and you purchased through Google Play, I can have you test the latest build to see if it resolves the issues you are having with modifying existing text annotations. In general, all you should need to to is select the text tool, tap on an existing text annotation, and you should be able to modify the text.

Mike

Javier,

For what its worth, I think it looks/operates a bit different than the prior version.  I think you no longer see the border of annotation box you are working on.  But, I think the cursor default is the end of the annotation text (from the earlier version).  I think I was a bit confused at first when I tried to modify an old annotation.  There is a bit to get used to.

Thank you, Mikepalosanto and jeffn1 for your feedback on the text modification.

After some tests, I think I understand more or less what happens. I am using a Samsung Pro 12.2 running Android and have downloaded the new MS version from Amazon.

When I use the Text tool and tap on the text I want to modify, I should see the text itself without frame at the same position but with the pointer. 

For some reason, the text to be edited moves to one side when I click on it.   Sometimes I can still see it (if it is on the screen) and sometime it is outside of the screen or below the keyboard. It is not that the text has moved; it is just that it is visualized at a different location. If I zoom in with two fingers after having selected the text, it will remain at the same position of the screen, that is no longer at the same position of the score. The same happens if I click on the text  and move the score. The text will remain at the same position of the screen but it is no longer at the same position on the score.

In fact the text has not moved at all. It is just that it appears at a different position while editing. If I click somewhere else (and leave the edition mode) the text will appear again at its previous position.

The funny thing is that some anotations move a lot when I click on them and some remain more or less at the same place. If I want to edit one text that is for instance on the top left corner, it may disappear (I cannot see it while editing). I can then rotate the tablet, hide the keyboard and find the text at the bottom right corner.

I have checked that the text moves to different places depending on the zoom level you have. I have tried it right now on one anotation. With the minimum level of zoom, I click and the text moves two staffs down. With a medium zoom, it moves up a bit. With the maximum level of zoom, I am unable to find it on the screen.

In some cases (a simple anotation where I change a "2" by a "3") I can use the delete button and write the new text. If I have a text box with three figures and I want to change  "1 3___    2" by   "1 2___ 3", this is just impossible. If I click on the text, it may disappear from the screen and after rotating, hiding the keyboard, I may eventually find it at a different location.  If I find it, I can then modify it, leave the text mode and see the result. Confused

This reminds me of the old text processors that were not WYSIWIG. I remember you had to write your text modifications and then click on "view" to check the result.

I hope this was clear enough. Maybe it is a bug of the system or a question of compatibility with my tablet. I had not experienced this kind of problems with the previous version. 

Edit: I have closed the app, opened again and tried with the minimum zoom. The text shifts a bit to one side, but I see it on the screen and I can modify it without much difficulties. If I zoom in, the text may disappear.

By the way I observe that the real size of the anotations depends on the layout. If I write a new text size 15 in portrait format, it will be bigger than the same text size 15 introduced in landscape format. If I want to edit the anotations, I observe that the size of these new anotations has been updated and that they are  now different.

This happened with the previous versions, but with some slight diffferences. The size of the anotations was not updated and you could end up with two texts size 15 that looked completely different. 

If I check the size of an old anotation (say size 15 created in portrait format) and I create a new anotation size 15 in portrait format, they will be the same size. However, if I am in landscape format and I do the same, I will still see that the old anotation is size 15, but the new anotation size 15 will look much smaller. Then, if I turn the tablet to portrait format, I will see that the anotation is now size 9.

If I want to be consistent and have the same text size, I have to create the new anotations in the same portrait format. Or else modify the size if I see that it is now reduced.

This is not a big issue, but to me the best would be that all anotations have the same size relative to the score, regardless of the fact that they were created in landscape or portrait format. 
Javier MM could you try the following: in the file where the text shifts to the side while editing bring up the overlay and tap the 4th icon on the bottom. (scale mode) cycle through all the scale modes (fit to page, half page, ect...) go back to your preferred scale mode and try editing the text again. I saw the shift on my Samsung and after I have done this the inserting and editing of the text was fine. Maybe this helps. 
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
(01-15-2021, 09:54 PM)McAroni Wrote: Javier MM could you try the following: in the file where the text shifts to the side while editing bring up the overlay and tap the 4th icon on the bottom. (scale mode) cycle through all the scale modes (fit to page, half page, ect...) go back to your preferred scale mode and try editing the text again. I saw the shift on my Samsung and after I have done this the inserting and editing of the text was fine. Maybe this helps. 

Thank you for your help. I have tried various scaling modes and the text still moves around when I edit.  Huh
I love this App. But  I  think  there  is a problem  with  the  pencil.  It  is not as sensitive  as it used  to be...
eichelbe - There is a bug if "Always Show the Title Bar" is enabled that causes the nudge window and edit bar to overlap the annotation when it's selected. A fix is in place for the next update, but you can turn off the option to always show the title bar if you need a workaround.

Javier MM - Are you seeing the text move that much while editing only when editing annotations that were created before the update? Or if you create a new text annotation, do you also see the text move like that? I'm definitely not seeing text jump like that on my device, so there must be a difference on your device that I'm not accounting for. It would be helpful if you can share a library backup file with me, or if that is not an option, long press your song on the library screen, tap Share->Export as .msf and send me the .msf. The .msf won't include your application settings, but I can at least try to edit your text annotations and see if I encounter the same behavior. If you are experiencing the text moving even with new annotations, then sharing the .msf isn't necessary as there is something else going on unrelated to existing annotations. 

As far as the size of the text not being consistent when you rotate into landscape, that is because the sizes are relative to the screen, not to the file itself. The reason I decided to handle this way, is for consistency between different files. Consider the following example if all sizes were relative to the raw PDF page sizes. If a pen size of 15 meant 15 pixels thick in the raw PDF page, if the page is scaled up by 300%, for example, that 15 pixels would be 45 pixels on the screen. If you then changed to a file that was only scaled up by 200%, that size 15 pen would appear to only be 30 pixels thick on the screen. I thought that this would be very confusing and unintuitive to users to have the same tool settings create annotations of different sizes depending on the dimensions of the file they are working with. So I decided that the right approach would be to ensure that, if the user has selected size 15, that I figure out what raw size is required in the PDF page to result in 15 pixels on the screen. So if the file is scaled up by 300%, I use a size 5 in terms of the raw PDF page, which then appears to be 15 pixels on the screen. If you rotate between portrait and landscape, you are changing the amount the page is scaled up to fit the screen, so the size will be saved as a different value in terms of the raw PDF page, but it should appear to be 15 pixels on the screen. This does mean that annotations created in different orientations with the same settings will appear to be different sizes though, when viewed side-by-side. I'm not sure what the best way to handle that is though, because I'm stuck with one of these problems either way. Either you have consistency within the same file regardless of scaling and orientation size, or you have consistency between files regardless of their size. You can't have both though. If users think it's better to have consistency between orientations even if the tool sizes appear completely different between files of different dimensions, then I can entertain switching the design around.

Annubisbarco - I have a fix in place that should help with that.
(01-16-2021, 04:31 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: So I decided that the right approach would be to ensure that, if the user has selected size 15, that I figure out what raw size is required in the PDF page to result in 15 pixels on the screen. So if the file is scaled up by 300%, I use a size 5 in terms of the raw PDF page, which then appears to be 15 pixels on the screen. If you rotate between portrait and landscape, you are changing the amount the page is scaled up to fit the screen, so the size will be saved as a different value in terms of the raw PDF page, but it should appear to be 15 pixels on the screen. This does mean that annotations created in different orientations with the same settings will appear to be different sizes though, when viewed side-by-side.

Thanks Mike for the detailed explanation.  The way I see it text and stamps should behave similar to any word processor. Size 15  is always the same across documents and regardless of zoom level. So I agree with the quoted approach. I don't care what translation of pixels the code does behind the scenes.

I may be wrong but here is what the term 'point'  vs 'pixel' comes into play.
Look at points as a unit of length and it's not dependent on zoom level so an annotation on a printed page it will zoom always along with the rest of the page.
When you type something in Word with a 15pt font, it doesn't matter if you do it in portrait, landscape, or zoomed in, it will always be correct and the same across documents.
How to translate this concept to code is the key.  I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples with apples since MSP deals mostly with scanned images and word processors probably work differently.

Here is an extract from a typography post:

'A pixel is a single square 'picture element' (hence pix-el), i.e. a single dot in your image. A 10x10 image is made up of a set of pixels in a grid 10 wide by 10 high, totaling 100 pixels.
The 'point' (pt) on the other hand is a unit of length, commonly used to measure the height of a font, but technically capable of measuring any length. In applications, 1pt is equal to exactly 1/72th of an inch; in traditional print technically 72pt is 0.996264 inches, although I think you'll be forgiven for rounding it up!

How many pixels = 1pt depends on the resolution of your image. If your image is 72ppi (pixels per inch), then one point will equal exactly one pixel.'
Donner BT pedal
I think if users can intuitively understand that their files may be zoomed in a different amount to fill the screen, so that if they use a size 5 pen, that may appear different depending on how much the file was scaled, then I'm fine with changing things over to work that way. I think Microsoft Word documents are not a good comparison/example though, because they are not based on images. The word processor formats the document and lays it out - there isn't technically a fixed size, other than the default page size used internally in the processor (but you can change page layouts and all the text will adjust, much like chord pro files in MobileSheetsPro). A better example is image editing software, as that is closer to what is happening in MobileSheetsPro when working with PDFs. Two images may be zoomed in different amounts, so the question is, what behavior is expected if you select a size 5 pen and start scribbling on both images? I think most people would understand that if one image is zoomed more than the other, that the pen will appear thicker on one versus the other, so as long as people get that while working with MobileSheetsPro, I'm fine having it work that way. The problem is that there isn't a visible indicator for how much a file has been zoomed in, so users can't easily view that and understand why the annotations on two files appear to be scaled different amounts.

Just so users are aware, if I make this change, the tool settings will work differently and any saved favorites will no longer appear the same anymore. If a user has a thickness set for a highlighter that seems to be the perfect amount for most of their files, if the files are different dimensions, the highlighter may be larger in one versus the other. This means that if files are used with very different sizes, the favorites wouldn't really be useful when going between those files, as the tool settings would have to be adjusted each time.

Thanks,
Mike