• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working with stamps
When working with stamps I have a couple of suggestions: 
When using the annotations top bar menu, clicking on the stamp tool will have the current stamp ready to apply, clicking again brings the library of stamps with the controls at the bottom, so far so good, however I would suggest to make this window moveable as it can sometimes block the view in an area being used for reference and also it would be nice to add "Add to favorites" and "View file information" to the context menu that pops up when clicking again n addition to the current entries of "add to user list" and "reset all lists".  

When using the radial menu things change a bit:
The extended stamp tool shows color, type, etc. as separate controls and clicking on 'type' brings the library by itself without the size, color etc. since they are treated separately. This window has the option to be simplified down to a very useful single column easy to tuck away to one side of the screen.  I would like to have that feature also in the library that the top annotation bar brings when not using the radial menu.

Thanks
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
The dropdown for stamps contains a number of different UI elements that are not in the popup version of the window, including the preview at the top and all of the settings at the bottom. I don't want to make this entire dropdown movable, because it blocks far too much of the screen. If you are just looking for a shortcut to pop up the movable version of the window, I'm fine with providing that. The other thing I'm considering is only having one version of the stamps popup (so the toolbar will just display the same window as the radial menu), but the preview at the top will become collapseable along with the settings at the bottom so that you can still access those if needed, but they will be hidden to reduce the window height otherwise. One of the nice things about having a separate dropdown from the movable window is that you can use the collapsed version of the stamps window, but if you need to quickly change settings and you don't want to use the radial menu, you can just view the stamps dropdown and change the settings there. I am not opposed to adding a "Add to favorites" context menu option in the stamps window, but that will be equivalent to selecting the stamp and then hitting the + button on the favorites window. View file information is not relevant for the built-in stamps - there is no file tied to them (they are tied to a music font packaged with the application), so I'm not sure why you want to see that. That option only applies to custom user stamps.
So my main question here is - do you want the dropdown to have a shortcut to bring up the movable version of the stamp window (so that access to the stamps settings remains in the dropdown), or do you want there to just be one single stamps window but I will have to make the top and bottom sections of it collapsable? Obviously if you collapse the stamp window down to the vertical list, you'd have to expand it before expanding the top or bottom sections, so that could be very tedious versus having quick access to those settings in the dropdown.

Mike
(03-16-2021, 08:43 AM)Zubersoft Wrote:
The dropdown for stamps contains a number of different UI elements that are not in the popup version of the window, including the preview at the top and all of the settings at the bottom. I don't want to make this entire dropdown movable, because it blocks far too much of the screen. If you are just looking for a shortcut to pop up the movable version of the window, I'm fine with providing that. The other thing I'm considering is only having one version of the stamps popup (so the toolbar will just display the same window as the radial menu), but the preview at the top will become collapseable along with the settings at the bottom so that you can still access those if needed, but they will be hidden to reduce the window height otherwise. One of the nice things about having a separate dropdown from the movable window is that you can use the collapsed version of the stamps window, but if you need to quickly change settings and you don't want to use the radial menu, you can just view the stamps dropdown and change the settings there. I am not opposed to adding a "Add to favorites" context menu option in the stamps window, but that will be equivalent to selecting the stamp and then hitting the + button on the favorites window. View file information is not relevant for the built-in stamps - there is no file tied to them (they are tied to a music font packaged with the application), so I'm not sure why you want to see that. That option only applies to custom user stamps.
So my main question here is - do you want the dropdown to have a shortcut to bring up the movable version of the stamp window (so that access to the stamps settings remains in the dropdown), or do you want there to just be one single stamps window but I will have to make the top and bottom sections of it collapsable? Obviously if you collapse the stamp window down to the vertical list, you'd have to expand it before expanding the top or bottom sections, so that could be very tedious versus having quick access to those settings in the dropdown.

Mike

Thanks Mike, having only one version was what I also had in mind so that the top and radial menu were more consistent. I like your idea of having the settings and preview collapsible and since you don't need much room for the preview, perhaps it could be all included in one common area if the controls are a bit squeezed?  That would also make the whole window less tall.
Overall I prefer the way the radial menu handles it but bypassing the separate settings that appear when hitting the stamp tool in the circle, going directly to the popup that I can reposition and collapse to one column. And then just add the access to the settings and preview by expanding the bottom area. That could be the same for the top menu and for the radial.
The separate controls for size, opacity etc. in the radial could still be accessible from the outer circle arrow similar to the way settings are handled in other tools.

Regarding "Add to favorites" you are right that one can use the + in the favorites window or the command bar (which I love BTW).  I just thought that it made sense to have it in the stamp itself.
Nevermind the "view information", of course that would be only for the imported custom stamps.
Donner BT pedal
If I only have one window, something is certainly lost by doing this. It means users don't have a way to change a setting in the popup and have it quickly dismissed. They will always have to move their hand to the top right of the popup to hit the X if they want to dismiss it versus just tapping away after changing the stamp settings. Given how tall the window is, this is certainly tedious if you want to make a change, dismiss the window, make another change, and continue. I would like to hear more input from users on opinions on how this should all be handled. It seems to me that just having an icon you can tap on the dropdown to display it as a popup means nothing is lost and you have exactly what you are asking for, other than having to tap an extra icon if you want to access the popup without going through the radial menu. I'll have to think on this some more but I hope other users who use stamps a lot can chime in with their opinions.

Another option that comes to mind is long pressing the stamp icon in the toolbar to display the popup. That provides quick access as well without eliminating the dropdown option.

Thanks,
Mike
(03-16-2021, 10:51 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If I only have one window, something is certainly lost by doing this. It means users don't have a way to change a setting in the popup and have it quickly dismissed. They will always have to move their hand to the top right of the popup to hit the X if they want to dismiss it versus just tapping away after changing the stamp settings. Given how tall the window is, this is certainly tedious if you want to make a change, dismiss the window, make another change, and continue. I would like to hear more input from users on opinions on how this should all be handled. It seems to me that just having an icon you can tap on the dropdown to display it as a popup means nothing is lost and you have exactly what you are asking for, other than having to tap an extra icon if you want to access the popup without going through the radial menu. I'll have to think on this some more but I hope other users who use stamps a lot can chime in with their opinions.

Another option that comes to mind is long pressing the stamp icon in the toolbar to display the popup. That provides quick access as well without eliminating the dropdown option.

Thanks,
Mike

I was only agreeing with your idea stated in your first reply and the:

"The other thing I'm considering is only having one version of the stamps popup (so the toolbar will just display the same window as the radial menu), but the preview at the top will become collapseable along with the settings at the bottom so that you can still access those if needed, but they will be hidden to reduce the window height otherwise."

I hear what you are saying about having to click the x to close the window as an extra step but if you think about it with the pulldown you still need to click ouside it to close it so it's not really much different.
The long press for the popup is also a good idea and probably what I would rather use so that the stamps are available all the time with the one column format until I decide to close them away.
Donner BT pedal