• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup keeps hanging at 100%
I connect my Surfacte pro 4 to companion and start a backup.
When mobilesheets on the surface pro displays that the backup is complete, companion is still waiting (while it shows 100%). The only thing that can be done is cancel, but then nothing is saved.
I tried three times but each time the same is happening.

I have now created a backup from mobilesheets itself, but don't understand why the backup from companion isn't working anymore (I have always used it). My database is huge and contains over 4000 songs.
This sounds similar to Another backup issue so it is obviously not just a one off (my experience is at the bottom of the thread)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
This is an issue I have tried to address with the companion app, but after my last round of changes, I was unable to reproduce the issue anymore. The companion basically gets into a state where it's waiting for the last remaining data from the tablet to confirm that the backup is complete, but it never gets those packets, so it sits there waiting forever. If you use task manager to just kill the companion app, the backup won't get deleted and if it was at 100%, it probably has all of the data in it. I'll have to see if there is anything I can do to get around this issue if users are still encountering it.

Mike
Hi,

just to confirm that this is also happening on my side. Seems to occur since Windows Companion version 3.1.6 and MSP 3.6.2. The tablet confirms that the backup is completed, the Companion is hanging. When I cancel the backup, the Tablet emits that the Companion aborted the backup. The Companion is writing parts of the backup but the file is not complete as it is just too small.

Good luck for tracing down the problem (you will find it Wink),
Holger
Holger
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T580, Android 8.1.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500, Android 12)
AirTurn Duo
Thanks for the feedback - I'll keep an eye out for this while creating backups with the companion app to see if I can reproduce it. In the meantime, you can create backups on the tablet itself and transfer them to the cloud or over USB if needed.

Mike
Could the companion periodically poll the tablet to see what state the tablet has got to? (assuming neither device is stuck in a deadly embrace)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(10-30-2022, 03:35 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Thanks for the feedback - I'll keep an eye out for this while creating backups with the companion app to see if I can reproduce it. In the meantime, you can create backups on the tablet itself and transfer them to the cloud or over USB if needed.

Mike

After companion update it seems to be working again with companion version 3.1.8 and MSP 3.6.2.

Holger
Holger
AirTurn Duo
That's great news Holger! I basically added code to force the sending socket to shutdown after the backup is finished sending which flushes out the remaining buffered data. I think what was happening is the sending on the Windows side would say it was finished, but the socket never sent the last remaining bytes of data, so the Android tablet waited forever for it but it was never sent. So this new approach ensures that doesn't happen.

Mike
(11-29-2022, 07:30 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's great news Holger! I basically added code to force the sending socket to shutdown after the backup is finished sending which flushes out the remaining buffered data. I think what was happening is the sending on the Windows side would say it was finished, but the socket never sent the last remaining bytes of data, so the Android tablet waited forever for it but it was never sent. So this new approach ensures that doesn't happen.

Mike

Hi Mike,

unfortunately, the issue is back... now with MSP 3.6.9 (probably also the version before, I did not try to do a backup) and companion 3.1.8.

Holger
Holger
AirTurn Duo
I did not change any code related to the companion app connection, so I'm not sure why you are suddenly seeing the problem again. I suppose it was just a fluke that the error went away for you then. This is not a problem I can rarely reproduce, so it's very difficult to do any analysis on it.

Mike
(01-28-2023, 07:00 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I did not change any code related to the companion app connection, so I'm not sure why you are suddenly seeing the problem again. I suppose it was just a fluke that the error went away for you then. This is not a problem I can rarely reproduce, so it's very difficult to do any analysis on it.

Mike

Thanks for letting me know and I fully understand that this is not easy to fix. May be our FritzBox has updated in the mean time... indeed, it could help if you would be within our network Angel or you could go crazy with it's behavior. MSP is sometimes behaving strange dependent on the position of the devices in the room, e.g., companion connections get lost or it shows me the "server" for synchronization multiple times and none is working, while on other days it works better (may be also dependent on moon phases Tongue ) - for some cases I can attribute it to the room, the location of the devices, the walls in between. Now I had the backup problem three times in sequence in direct line of sight to the WiFi router and the companion always ends at 99% with "The backup has failed. There may be problems with the tablet backing up the files or a connectivity problem", while the tablet ends at "Backup successfully completed." (translated from German display language). I could imagine that other programs boldy do a reconnect trying to recover at that point, which, of course, is more effort/logic if you did not alreay built this into MSP. I believe that one fine day it will work again (different moon phase).
Holger
AirTurn Duo