• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layers problem
Hello,

I'm new here, but using MobileSheets for quite a while.
I am an organist and use the app to play organ music during concerts. As I cannot turn pages with feets (use them to play) I'd like to know if there will be a turning page feature with facial gesture like in ForScore. That would be extremely helpful!

I have a problem with layers: on some Sheets, the layers appears and disappears randomly when turning pages or when I reopen the score. I recorded the screen of my tablet to show you the issue: https://youtu.be/4fyuoLx_VLY

One other typical issue with layers:
- I have a document with 3 pages
- On page 1 I choose to create a new layers "TEST_LAYER" for every of the 3 pages 
- I write on the layer "TEST_LAYER" on pages 1 and 3 and write nothing on page 2
- I close the Song, reopen it, and on page 2 the "TEST_LAYER" does not exist anymore.

Thank you for your support!
Perocat,

Thanks for the video. Is there any chance you can provide a little bit of guidance with the video as to the timestamps I should focus on that demonstrate the layers appearing and disappearing? Without any audio, and just watching the video, it's hard to follow exactly what's going on and when a layer is showing up when it's not supposed to, or not showing up when it should because I don't have any familiarity with the layers you've created or the annotations on each layer. I'm going to watch the video several times to try to follow when something is incorrect, but it would help if you can point me in the right direction.

As far as your request, I do plan on adding facial gesture support a little later this year, as that seems to be a very popular feature. 

I'll try to reproduce what you described at the end. Just to be sure - you are running version 3.6.6, correct?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply.
Here some guidance with timestamps of the video:
0:02 open the score. Layer shown: "Layer 1" and "Brione" (see the B105 top left)
0:06 swipe to page 2. "Layer 1" is still there. "Brione" is not showing and should be
0:07 swipe to page 3. "Layer 1" is still there. "Brione" is not showing and should be. Another Layer is now visible ("Zurich S. Jakob")
0:19 - 0:20 swipe from page 1 to page 2 with Layer drop down open. You can see that "Brione" is on on page 1 and off on page 2 but layers are liked.
0:24 manually turn on "Brione" on page 2
0:32 going to page 3 at 0:36 you see "Zurich S. Jakob" is now on page 3, but wasn't on page 1 and 2
CLOSE AND REOPEN APP
0:59 reopen same score, now "Brione" is on (correct) on page 1-2-3
1:10 turn off "Brione", turn on "Schaffhausen S. Johann"
1:22 swipe to page 4 with "Performance mode" enabled. On page 4 "Zürich S. Jakob" is now shown but it shouldn't (was turned off)
1:32 turned off manually "Zurich S. Jakob" on page 4
GO TO THE END OF THE SONG
2:02 turned off "Schaffhausen S. Johann" and turned on "Brione"
2:13 first page of the song. "Brione" is now on (see B105 top left)
REOPEN APP
2:24 reopen the same song. "Brione" is not there (B105 is not top left), but "Schaffhausen S. Johann" is now shown on page 1. Without touching any layer or hide/show button.
2:26 swipe to page 2. "Brione" is shown, and "Schaffhausen S. Johann" is hidden. Without touching any layer or hide/show button.
2:29 back to page 1. "Schaffhausen S. Johann" is shown, "Brione" is hidden. Without touching any layer or hide/show button.
2:36 you see "Schaffhausen S. Johann" is on and "Brione" is off. Without touching any layer or hide/show button.
2:42 swipe to page 2. "Brione" is on, "Schaffhusen S. Johann" is off. Without touching any layer or hide/show button.
BACK and FORTH
3:00 swipe to page 6. "Brione" is on, "Schaffhausen S. Johann" is off, "Zurich S. Jakob" is on. Without touching any layer or hide/show button.
Thank you, I think I see the problem here, but I will have to verify. There are a couple of things I believe are an issue:

1) Annotations are only saved for a given page when changes are detected on that page. Switching a layer on or off is not considered a change and will not cause the save to trigger.
2) Changing pages will save the annotations on that page, but once again, changing the layer visibility will not trigger the save to occur, so if you just change the layer visibility and exit the annotations editor, the layer visibility will be set correctly for that session, but if you restart the app, the layer visibility will be reset to an incorrect state where it may be saved for some pages but not others (depending on whether you had added or modified annotations on those pages)
3) Force killing the app while annotating may result in any changes that were made being lost. So I would not advise doing this during regular use.

I am going to change the application logic so that changing the layer visibility will flag each page containing an identically named layer as needing to be saved. This should fix all the issues you are seeing. 

Thanks,
Mike
Thank you Mike for the update here and the new version of the app I already tried.

It seems to be better now with the problem, but something is still not working properly. I recorded a new video for you with audio, where I tell what I am doing during every action on the video.
Can you see the problem?

Thank you very much!
Is there any chance you can share that score with me? If you long press the piece on the library screen, then tap Share->Export as .msf and share the .msf with mike@zubersoft.com, I can test with the same annotations and layers you are using to see if I can identify if there is a bug in the code or something else is going on. If not, I can try to create my own layers to see if I can reproduce the issue, but it's always a little easier when working with a setup that is known to exhibit problems.

As far as the second issue in your video - the only changes I made was to update code related to toggling the visibility flag on/off which marks each page as needing to be saved. The code for creating a new layer was already set up to mark each page as changed. So it's good that you aren't seeing that issue with new layers you are testing with, but that should have already been working with the previous version. I'll run some tests with that as well.

Thanks,
Mike
For anyone that reads this thread, the problem was due to one layer having a space at the end ("Brione " versus just "Brione"). This caused the logic not to match up the layers as their names were technically different. I'm going to modify the code for the next update so that leading and trailing spaces are trimmed when comparing layer names to prevent this issue in the future.

Mike
Hi Mike, 

Unfortunately I still have some problems with the Layers as you can see here
And here

Thank you and BR
I've fixed the first issue and I'm working on the second. The second issue is just a display issue with the list (no layers are actually being deleted). It's due to the layer being collapsed - MobileSheets is trying to remove the annotation entries under that layer but is assuming the layer is expanded. So the entry it picks instead is the song entry + the index of the annotation being removed.

Mike