• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setlist in backup but not restored?
(07-23-2024, 03:51 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: It would be strange if this had anything to do with it being a Chromebook, because the data for the setlist is all saved in the SQLite database, and that should be identical across devices and platforms. Once I have the backup, I can let you know what I find.

Mike

Yes, one would think.  But as I'm sure you know, bugs can hide in funny places and reveal themselves only under odd circumstances.  Shy

Eons ago and far away, in the outer reaches of what was called "Chicagoland", I was porting a C cross compiler to a VAX/VMS system.  The compiler had been successfully ported to a number of hosts at that point, including various PCs, SUN/OS, various versions of *IX, and even 370/MVS and CMS. It was solid, portable code.  Everything went well, and as expected, using the VAX native C compiler to do the chore, and the test suite was run.  It failed -- and in a bizarre way.  Immediate investigation showed that it had failed to generate code at what appeared to be random locations in the object file.  The code that the compiler thought it was generating just wasn't going into the output file.  Typical effort in the debugger revealed no apparent errors in the compiler's front end or code generator:  it was doing what it was supposed to do.

Even more effort was devoted at a lower level to determine when the pieces of code were disappearing.  Finally, after narrowing things down by test case after test case, it was evident that when the cross compiler's code output buffer was exactly 4K in size, was filled all the way to the end, and was flushed to the file, a piece of that buffer ended up not being flushed -- and that was the missing code, appearing as apparently (but not really) random errors in the output.  Yup, it was a bug in the VAX C output library.  Who would have thought?  They fixed it virtually immediately of course.  But ... you just can't ever tell.  Smile
------------------
Gary H. Merrill

Messages In This Thread
RE: Setlist in backup but not restored? - by ghmerrill - 07-23-2024, 04:38 AM