• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To0 many Genre
I'm using MS version 3.8.42 on Android 14.  I have not selected MS to manage my files.  I added 'Classical' to the Genre list. I then imported a folder named Classical from my tablet's external SD card.  The folder had subfolders for each composer and each had further subfolders containing pdfs.
After importing I see in the genre tab I have 3432 genre where each genre has names of the subfolders. I only wanted the word Classical to be the genre
What did I do wrong?
Samsung Galaxy S9 Ultra 14.6", 1TB, Android 14, AirTurn BT-105
I'm assuming you used Import->Batch Import, and you also enabled the option to populate metadata based on the subdirectories. I'm going to need to know what metadata format string you specified, as well as an example of the folder structure of the classical folder that you imported. If you had %GENRE% as the first value, then you should not have batch imported the contents of the Classical folder - you should have batch imported the folder above that folder, so that the first folder it encountered was "Classical". If you imported the contents of the Classical folder, that means it instead used the folders inside the Classical folder as the genre for each song that was created.

On a side note, you can revert the library changes under Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Automatic Database Backup if needed, but that will revert all changes to the last point a backup was created.

Thanks,
Mike
Too late for this time but suggest you always take a backup before making "large" changes to the database. This provides a recover point should something go wrong

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6