• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashing "Loading" In the MIddle Of Performance
Last night I was playing a little gig. I used the setlist, but I did not do the "load all" (none are that big).

In the middle of one of the songs (this happen to be a longer 4 page sheet) it started flashing "LOADING", which made it difficult to read the sheet.

Any suggestions on this? Perhaps a change in settings in the tablet? (Maybe it would not happen if I loaded the full setlist?)(or maybe that would make it worse?).

Thanks.

Jeff
The only thing that could have caused this was MobileSheets getting into a death loop where it ran into a critical error while reading a PDF file, then tried to reload it. If even one page of the PDF fails due to a critical, unrecoverable error, the only thing MobileSheets can do is try to reload the file, as the PDF library is messed up pretty badly by errors of this type. It's pretty rare for this to happen, but you should see if you can load each of the songs individually, and see if any of them exhibit this behavior. The other thing that can cause this behavior would be if your tablet ran out of memory while trying to buffer the pages, and it kept happening over and over.

The next update will include more fixes for reading PDFs, so hopefully this problem should be addressed.
I think its the latter because I went out of Mobile sheetes and went back in without a problem. (The I decided to restart the tablet to try to clear out the memory).

It is strange because I would not think 35 pdf's (mostly 1 or 2 pages) would use up memory.

I wonder if a loaded all the pdfs if I would have been more likely or less likely to have a problem.

For now on I will turn off the tablet between sets.

Jeff

(08-26-2014, 03:54 AM)Zuberman Wrote: The only thing that could have caused this was MobileSheets getting into a death loop where it ran into a critical error while reading a PDF file, then tried to reload it. If even one page of the PDF fails due to a critical, unrecoverable error, the only thing MobileSheets can do is try to reload the file, as the PDF library is messed up pretty badly by errors of this type. It's pretty rare for this to happen, but you should see if you can load each of the songs individually, and see if any of them exhibit this behavior. The other thing that can cause this behavior would be if your tablet ran out of memory while trying to buffer the pages, and it kept happening over and over.

The next update will include more fixes for reading PDFs, so hopefully this problem should be addressed.
I have had similar problems in the past and they were due to corrupt files, usually files that I had replaced the content and a duplicate file was created. Mike had me fix the problem, going forward, by turning off "make copy" in a particular setting (you'll have to ask him which one). I had too many corrupt files to try and fix, so I made new ones.

Hope that helps.

Steve

(08-26-2014, 10:10 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: I think its the latter because I went out of Mobile sheetes and went back in without a problem. (The I decided to restart the tablet to try to celar out the memory).

It is strange because I would not think 35 pdf's (mostly 1 or 2 pages) would use up memory.

I wonder if a loaded all the pdfs if I would have been more likely or less likely to have a problem.

For now on I will turn off the tablet between sets.

Jeff

(08-26-2014, 03:54 AM)Zuberman Wrote: The only thing that could have caused this was MobileSheets getting into a death loop where it ran into a critical error while reading a PDF file, then tried to reload it. If even one page of the PDF fails due to a critical, unrecoverable error, the only thing MobileSheets can do is try to reload the file, as the PDF library is messed up pretty badly by errors of this type. It's pretty rare for this to happen, but you should see if you can load each of the songs individually, and see if any of them exhibit this behavior. The other thing that can cause this behavior would be if your tablet ran out of memory while trying to buffer the pages, and it kept happening over and over.

[Image: SF%20Caricature%20Invoice%20Logo.jpg]
Professional Entertainer and Guitar Instructor
Using MobileSheets & Cicada PageFlip since 2010
Teach/Perform about 20 hours per week
http://stevefaltermusic.com
Does the analysis (or suggestions to avoid it in the future) change under the following facts?:

I had been doing a gig for about 3 hours and the set list was used.

I did not load all songs in the set list, but, rather loaded each song one at a time.

This song that I had a problem had 4 pages. (Most others were 1 or 2 pages.)

It flashed "LOADING" but did not crash. I think I was even able to turn the pages while this was happening (but, obviously the "LOADING" warning obstructed the viewing).

I went out of this particular songs and went back in and this seemed to fix the problem. (I say "seemed" because I only did this for about a minute. Instead I turned off the tablet and turned it back on. I did not have a problem with the remaining (3 or 4) songs in the gig.

I have subsequently gone into this song and have not had a problem (I am not sure whether this song seems to take slightly longer to load than other songs of a similar length?)(this song has some annotations (as do almost all songs I have), but not that many).
I always load my set lists. If you have a corrupt file, it doesn't matter HOW you load it, it will do the same thing when you load THAT file.

It did not matter how many pages, again, just that it is a corrupt file.

Mine were all files that had been replaced with updates lead sheets.

Sometimes the app crashed, sometimes it didn't. Either way, I usually had to reboot the tablet to get rid of the flashing message. Rebooting the app didn't help.

The solution is to replace the files with this problem AFTER turning off the "make copy" function.

I have not had this problem after taking these steps, and I run the app about 15-20 hrs per week, on average.
[Image: SF%20Caricature%20Invoice%20Logo.jpg]
Professional Entertainer and Guitar Instructor
Using MobileSheets & Cicada PageFlip since 2010
Teach/Perform about 20 hours per week
http://stevefaltermusic.com
Thanks.

(09-03-2014, 01:59 AM)sfalter Wrote: I always load my set lists. If you have a corrupt file, it doesn't matter HOW you load it, it will do the same thing when you load THAT file.

Sometimes the app crashed, sometimes it didn't. Either way, I usually had to reboot the tablet to get rid of the flashing message. Rebooting the app didn't help.

The solution is to replace the files with this problem AFTER turning off the "make copy" function.

I have not had this problem after taking these steps, and I run the app about 15-20 hrs per week, on average.
Hello, sfalter:

Did it always happen whenever you loaded the corrupt file? Or was it intermittent (i.e., sometimes there was no apparent problem with the file).

jeff

(09-03-2014, 01:59 AM)sfalter Wrote: I always load my set lists. If you have a corrupt file, it doesn't matter HOW you load it, it will do the same thing when you load THAT file.